Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #1

Comments on 2012 Mirada 32DS after one year

Purchased new August 2012. 3500 miles and 4+ months lived in.

Only 2 warranty issues - bedroom tv and 3 bolts missing on slide cover.
Wish the fuel fill was on the side - not the back.
Barely keeps up cooling with both roof air conditioners running when temp is over 85 and sunny. Duel pane windows would have probably helped.
Grey and black tank fill level sensors are pretty inaccurate. And yes I keep both clean and flushed.
Of course the bedroom mattress was horrible. But I was aware it would be before I bought. Replaced before first use.
Dinette and couch foam cushions would be fine if I weighed only about 50 lbs! Again I was aware this would be the case before purchase.
Wish it had more then an 8 cu ft fridge.
Pilot light on oven is a real pain to light. But the oven works fine.
Spent $1200 on a stabilizer system. Money well spent as it now runs down the road like a car. Why couldn't Coachmen spend a few bucks to make it right at the factory?

Now the positives!

First unit of any kind my wife and I have owned. Had not camped since age 25 (not that I would call a MH camping). So we both were/are newbies!
We love our motorhome. I was expecting many more problems or issues then encountered so far. The unit is big enough for comfort for the two of us.
Easy to drive (with the stabilizer system installed).
No plumbing, electric, mechanical, or esthetic problems at all!
The interior build quality is better then I expected.
Love the 18' power awning. Can't imagine one smaller.
Microwave is the best one I have ever owned.
Layout and size are perfect for the two of us.
Leveling jacks work perfect every time.
Plenty of storage inside and under.
All system volumes are enough.
Plenty of lighting.
Sound system is ok. Could be better.
Driving position and controls are good.
Outside storage doors are ok but not as nice as slam hatches. You get what you pay for of course!
Paint is excellent. They should put gutter extensions on at the factory as water drips down the side from AC and condensation.
Overall pleased with our unit!
Amishvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Always Learning

For replacement cushions- I've had excellent prices and service from:
Welcome to Foam Factory, Inc.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
For replacement cushions- I've had excellent prices and service from:
Welcome to Foam Factory, Inc.
Thanks for the response! I just retired from the foam industry and have my own inside sources. That is the one and only component I have expertise in. LOL
Old 08-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amishvette View Post
Thanks for the response! I just retired from the foam industry and have my own inside sources. That is the one and only component I have expertise in. LOL
Funny- I pick the one thing that I can be helpful on and you don't need it!

Welcome, good post- it's nice seeing the pros/cons of different folks' rigs.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #5

Cheer up ependydad, I am looking at your link. We are looking to upgrade our cushions.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #6

Well, since the cushion issue has some attention, I will enlighten a bit for any who may care.

With very few exceptions, manufacturers don't fabricate their furniture or beds. They do, however, specify the foam (or other cushion materials) that go into the furniture and beds they purchase.

In my 40 years in the foam industry, I have seen a steady decline in the density and firmness of the foam used in all but high end RVs furniture and bedding. Cushion surfaces in RVs have gotten to the point of a pathetic disregard by manufacturers for their customers that buy their products.

Density is in many cases half of what it was 20 plus years ago. Density of foam is what affects the endurance and maintainable support in the furniture or bedding. Firmness is the initial feel and "ride" when you sit or lie on the surface.

The cost difference to replace low density/firmness foam with a significantly better foam is very negligible. But RVs don't sell based on the hidden cushion surfaces so manufacturers just keep putting junk in beds and furniture.

And just when you think things couldn't be worse - now some are replacing foam with a product called densified fiber starting about 5 years ago. That product is a giant leap backward from even the cheapest foam! Don't get me started! LOL

How many of you are/were unhappy with your sitting or sleeping surfaces? Almost all I bet.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
Camper Less Camping

Thanks for the foam explanation!

Old 08-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amishvette View Post

Easy to drive (with the stabilizer system installed).

Leveling jacks work perfect every time.

All system volumes are enough.

They should put gutter extensions on at the factory as water drips down the side from AC and condensation.
Good post.

Can you describe your "stabilizer system"?

Are you using the "auto" mode when leveling and does it ever raise the front or rear wheels off the ground? We have the LCI system and have had to abandon the auto mode in lieu of using the manual mode to keep the wheels on the ground. This in spite of recalibrating the system on two occasions to solve the "air lift" problem.

We find our grey water tank to be too small. It fills up too fast even though we are careful regarding water use. Our grey tank is only 45 gallons. (2011 Encounter 37 TZ) What size is the tank on yours?

We would also like to add gutter extensions. Has anyone researched gutter extensions and what did they discover? We have the same problem and find that the water dripping down the side of the coach leaves black marks that are difficult to clean off.

Thanks

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post

Good post.

Can you describe your "stabilizer system"?

Are you using the "auto" mode when leveling and does it ever raise the front or rear wheels off the ground? We have the LCI system and have had to abandon the auto mode in lieu of using the manual mode to keep the wheels on the ground. This in spite of recalibrating the system on two occasions to solve the "air lift" problem.

We find our grey water tank to be too small. It fills up too fast even though we are careful regarding water use. Our grey tank is only 45 gallons. (2011 Encounter 37 TZ) What size is the tank on yours?

We would also like to add gutter extensions. Has anyone researched gutter extensions and what did they discover? We have the same problem and find that the water dripping down the side of the coach leaves black marks that are difficult to clean off.

Thanks

Roll
I had a steering stabilizer installed. Blue Ox makes one. It is made for gas motorhomes which tend to "shimmy" through the steering system. It made a world of difference. My Mirada drove 100% better driving from FL back to Indianan last Spring. Money well spent. I believe it was under $1200 installed. Like I said before, Ford should include this in all their chassis before they sell them to the RV makers. Almost a safety issue in my opinion.
Yes I use auto mode when leveling. I carry 4 short 2x6 boards to put under the foot of each foot. One time I piled 3 of them under one foot to compensate for a low spot. It worked pretty well. I think if you are level to begin with a tire will never be off the ground. Just my experience so far - I'm still a rookie.
I have not yet boon docked more then one night, so my tanks are ok for me so far. Yes, my grey tank is 45 gal. I agree a little bigger would be better. But I believe most gas MH have about the same size tanks as ours have.
I purchase gutter extensions through an online retailer which I think was camping world. They are white plastic so you have to paint to match.

PS my dealer had an Encounter 37 TZ when I was there for warranty work last month. My wife and I loved the floor plan! I envy your MH!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #10

Thanks AV.

We added the steering shock too and a rear stabilizer as well. I agree it made a world of difference.

Our LCI system just seems to want to continue to adjust the level in the auto mode until it finally pulls the wheels (usually the front) off the ground which I let happen several times until I discovered this is not a good idea.

I followed the recalibration steps carefully and it was okay for a few uses and then started lifting the wheels off the ground again. Repeated the process and again after a few uses we were back to "take off" mode. We looked like a boxy aircraft in rotation for take off.

Going manual solved the issue as I can get the coach very level with only minor adjustments most of the time.

I'm going to get some of the gutter drains, any chance you could take a close up picture and post it? I'd like to see the type you bought and how they look attached.

Thanks AV

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #11

Sorry I can't send a picture of the extensions. I painted them and left them at home in FL when we headed N. to Indiana. Intend to install when we get back in Sept.