Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2017, 08:09 AM   #21
Newly Retired

You might consider picking up a generic 12 V in-line fuel pump and place that closer to the tank.
Trickiest part is finding 12 V power to bring to the pump, you would want that to be switched, probably buy a separate toggle switch.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #22
edm

Generator over heating

I don't Know your Gen modle number but if it is the onan 4000 it need some fresh air from outside. We have a FR3 30ds and forest river is were of the problem with overheating. FR sent us a vent free of charge and i installed it my self. This vent will only solve the problem with the 4000 all others models vent from the bottom and the 4000 vents from the side.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:10 AM   #23

After installing the FR vent does the generator sound louder when next to the rig?
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:35 PM   #24
edm

Generator venting

The noise doesn't seem to be any louder after installing the vent. The 4000's have a good sound barrier around them to start with.
Hope this info helps.
Happy travels.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #25

Thanks edm this is on my upgrade list but I have worried about increased noise.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:16 AM   #26

Concord ~ Generator Issue

Speaking of noise, I would like to find out what generator they re putting on the 18 wheeler cab. They are really quite.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:11 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Speaking of noise, I would like to find out what generator they re putting on the 18 wheeler cab. They are really quite.
You really want to know? Certainly not an air cooled Onan....

Auxillary generators on Class 8 diesels (used to reduce idle time and pollutants per EPA mandates) are mostly Kubota 3 cylinder water cooled diesels, driving an alternator and an air conditioning compressor.

The water cooled Kubota's cooling system keeps the coolant in the truck's main engine block warm, the alternator keeps the truck batteries charged and powers auxillary components in the tractor and the AC compressor runs the truck's climate control when parked. They are fully automatic, run on diesel (of course) and cost upwards of $15,000.00 installed........

Thermo King and others offer them.

I'm sure you want one now.....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:46 PM   #28

Sign me up😆😆😎. A few minor issues I would have to solve; trade gas M.H for diesel house - let's see rice and beans and reduce to tent camping for 20 years to help pay for it. Naah. Living with the noise is a lot more fun.

Seriously. Thanks for the info. That is quite a system.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #29

I have had this happen to me as well, 90* day running the Genset to run the house AC...all was good while going down the road. We stopped to wait for a tour at Warm Springs Farm (Budweiser Clydesdales) and after it running for about 20 minutes the Genset stalled and it took about 30 minutes before I could get it started again. I never felt the Genset door though but it all makes sense.

Put me in line with everyone else for a door vent mod. Paint would be my only issue, maybe I'll have my machinist friend with a CNC make me one out of aluminum or something flashy like that?
Old 03-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #30
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
I have had this happen to me as well, 90* day running the Genset to run the house AC...all was good while going down the road. We stopped to wait for a tour at Warm Springs Farm (Budweiser Clydesdales) and after it running for about 20 minutes the Genset stalled and it took about 30 minutes before I could get it started again. I never felt the Genset door though but it all makes sense.

Put me in line with everyone else for a door vent mod. Paint would be my only issue, maybe I'll have my machinist friend with a CNC make me one out of aluminum or something flashy like that?
I am thinking flattened expanded aluminum, powdercoated black with similar colored aluminum T-molding. It is on my list for this spring.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #31

You guys are overthinking it. Get a sheet of 16 gage and go to a hot rod shop and have the break the edges and louver the door. Thats called 'Frenching' btw. Simple operation. Loks nice. Rattle can the steel and call it good.

It's a genset, not a sportscar.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:36 AM   #32
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
You guys are overthinking it. Get a sheet of 16 gage and go to a hot rod shop and have the break the edges and louver the door. Thats called 'Frenching' btw. Simple operation. Loks nice. Rattle can the steel and call it good.

It's a genset, not a sportscar.
We are discussing the generator installation on the Coachmen Concord, these are a Class C. The generator doors are body matched and are curved, not to mention that most of us have full body paint that needs to match. In this picture the generator is installed right behind the cab in the first flip up door, the problem is that Coachmen installed a side intake generator and did not allow for enough air movement.

Aaron

Old 03-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #33

Even a better reason to have to access door 'Frenched' and instead of rattle canning it, have the shop paint to match. I tasteful louver job would look nice on your outfit.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:22 PM   #34
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Even a better reason to have to access door 'Frenched' and instead of rattle canning it, have the shop paint to match. I tasteful louver job would look nice on your outfit.
That door is currently 3/4" thick. Also the generator input louvers are in the front quarter of it. Still working on a viable solution. Custom paint match is expensive!

Aaron

Tags
generator