Old 08-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #1
World Wide Wanderer

Concord Leaks

Well after something approaching a foot of rain in the past couple of weeks I have developed 2-3 leaks. Good news (more or less) is that they are small and easily fixed.

We have had an intermittent leak at the stove hood, turns out it only leaks when the rain drives in on that side. I was able to isolate that to the fact that the foam gasket is not fully compressed on the outside vent cover (screws are stripped). While I was in there I noticed that the bottom of it was cracked, a new one is on order. I will be installing it with sealant rather than a foam gasket. Next one up is on the door, which BTW IS NOT made out of Azdel. Apparently the ham fisted installers are the factory have never heard of not over torquing screws. Roughly half the screws are stripped, allowing the frame to separate and water to seep in. Currently have it covered with tape to keep any more water from getting in. I will either add sealant and use oversized screws or replace the entire assembly with a clear window and shade. The other leak is at the right upper clearance light, it had gone out and was full of water. Again the lovely foam gasket and the sealant on the back of it had failed, probably due to someone yanking on the wires during installation. I found the manufacturer and ordered a few. I will be reinstalling them with proper sealant. We are getting a new shelter ordered for the RV this week, should be here in 2-3 weeks which will go a long ways on cutting down on some of these issues. On close observation I am seeing that all the windows, and cargo hatches are installed with the cheesy foam gaskets, that is going to be remedied. They might work great for a year or two, but are going to cause issues down the road.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:07 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about the leaks for a 2016 unit. Wish you well. Please keep us abreast on how it goes.

jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:21 AM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwisconsin View Post
Sorry to hear about the leaks for a 2016 unit. Wish you well. Please keep us abreast on how it goes.
I am not surprised, they do a pretty crappy job on the factory sealants. Fortunately I am a detail oriented person so stay on top of things. I mainly wanted other Concord owner's to be on the lookout for potential problems. Unfortunately leaks can kill an RV in a very short time. One reason I really recommend covered storage if at all possible, along with quarterly roof inspections.

Aaron

Old 08-16-2018, 04:48 PM   #4

As I sit here in Goshen with 5 other Concords, speaking of doors, 3 out of the 5 are going back to the factory for new doors, we had Challenge door out with Coachmen, they pulled one door, came out to be the doors are not curved correctly, this causes hard to close and potential leaks. The big problem is they have to repaint, it's not Coachmens fault. They blamed them first saying they didn't cut the opening square. Well they proved that wrong, they gave me the option to go to the factory now or wait. I figure I will wait, til next June or Aug. When they repaint they will also correct any chips I get in during the year. They have been great with me. They repaired all the tweaks that are expected rewired my relay for the fireplace and W/H. It did not come that way to the dealer, they took pictures, different relay wired wrong. Jason and Ron Ross have bent over backwards here to help us all. I'm done except they sent my cushions out to get a denser foam and restiched they will be returned in the AM. Also they have gotten ridden of those plastic catches on the drawers, they now are using a very strong magnet. They dropped a handful off to me, I told them I would install. I tell everyone about what they did to make that garbage stat work right, have to go now stay tuned....

Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:42 AM   #5

Okay, about the thermostat, if your having a problem with adjusting the stat or having to keep pressing the arrows to change the temp or mode, the problem is in the face plate not that stat. If you pull the cover off look on the back side, you will see 3 little black form squares. What happens is that if you use to much pressure pressing those bottoms, the foam recesses and it gets harder and harder to change anything. The fix is a new face plate. This is such a common problem they gave me 2 extra ones. Now all I have to do is hardly touch it and it will respond. I use to have to tap it forever until it hit correctly. The stat is a piece of garbage and they know it. If your having this problem call Coachmen and they will send you a new face plate. Now my stat works great and is really pretty accurate. If yours is doing the same try that fix, it's like night and day. Safe travels to all.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:20 PM   #6

Going to factory tomorrow for a tour. Wife really likes the Concord and wants to downsize from our 5th wheel. We are both ok with the Concord or the Hathaway by FR. We'll see which way it goes. I am interested in the good, bad and ugly about Coachmen Concord and names of those at the factory who are interested in making/keeping us happy customers.
Tcrossan
tcrossan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:37 PM   #7

Good luck, I bought a Concord and couldn't be happier over all with the finished unit and Coachmen C/S. Had 4 FR units, I know the Rockwood crew by name and they are great, but the Concord surpasses FR. I'm not trying to bash FR. When you go to the factory make sure you make a point to talk to Mike Bear. He is the GM. He has bent over backwards to make sure I was comfortable with the unit and I also understood they would take care of anything that pops up. Don't need a dealer just find a mobile RV. Get approval and they will reimburse a refreshing RV manufacture. The only CON I have found is the size of the shower , water closet, and storage. But the attention to the inside detail is great. Great finish work and solid cabinets surpasses even the high end FR m/h. Thank You Coachmen for your commitment after the sale.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #8

I guess I should say what I'm so pleased with. A Concord 300 dscClick image for larger version

Name:	20180819_160528.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	184457

Old 08-26-2018, 07:02 PM   #9

Also you will have a choice of what the Concord is built on. Either a Ford E450 or a Chevy 4500. I wanted a Ford but ended up with a Chevy. The difference only is that Chevy has there work horse proven V8 and Ford has there V10. What is the difference? The Chevy has about 20 more HP. But the Ford has about 25 more torque hp. But I find the cab on the Chevy is designed better and more comfortable. Just my opinion and do not want to start a brand war. When you go to the factory you will see I bet over 1000 cabs waiting for the body to be built on the chassies. Hope all this helps...

Old 08-26-2018, 08:58 PM   #10
World Wide Wanderer

We have the 2016 300 DSF and love it. I would buy it again in a heart beat. We have had what I consider to be typical minor issues with it, nothing that would require a factory or dealer visit. But I have no problem with all level of repairs, in fact I can usually do it better than the dealer techs.

We have taken ours out for up to 10 days at a time and have been fine, yes the shower is tight, however I am 6'-2" 225# and can use it just fine... as long as I don't drop the soap.

There are a few quirks, like the split gray water tanks, they are split into two 26 gallon tanks, one is filled by the kitchen sink and shower, the other is for the bathroom hand sink only. Obviously the one is going to fill up much faster, not a real issue if you are camping with full hookups. Eventually I am going to rig some sort of equalizer hose to feed water from one side to the other so I don't have to dump as often. With the 300 TS this is not an issue as the kitchen is on the left side rather than the right.

Make sure you go through it with a fine tooth comb and make sure EVERYTHING works before you sign on the dotted line. Also have the dealer fix as much as possible prior to taking possession. It will save you a lot of headaches down the road. If the list is too long or there are major issues, don't be afraid to walk away and look at another unit somewhere else.

If you have any specific questions ask away, from what I have seen the bulk of Concord owners love their units. And will be glad to help you any way we can.

I have owned a wide range of RV's over the year and so far this has been our favorite.

Aaron

Tags
leak