Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2016, 06:28 PM   #1

Considering Freelander 21RS

Hello everyone,

My name is Monica. I currently own a small travel trailer, which I love, but have tired of the whole hitching process and have been considering the move to a Class C. I've done quite a bit of research and have been shopping around and so far, I really like the layout of the Freelander 21RS. I liked the Prism as well (I don't need an overhead bunk) but the Prism is out of my price range.

Does anyone here own the 21RS who might be willing to share their experiences, both good and bad, owning this particular model?

Thanks in advance,
Monica
moniraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:42 PM   #2

Hi Monica,
We bought our 21RS last summer and really have enjoyed it. It's such a perfect size for two people, and with the rear slide it really opens up making it very livable.
We haven't had any major issues, but if we had we'd probably be out of luck. The local Coachmen dealer here in Colorado Springs (Intermountain Coach) was not even in the same galaxy when it came to price. We saved $14,000 by buying at General RV in Draper, UT. I asked Ron at Intermountain Coach if he would consider coming down on his price as I really wanted to buy it locally. His reply was, "enjoy your new MH, but if you need warranty work you won't be a priority". So besides costing himself the sale of a new Motorhome, he also eliminated himself from after purchase items, such as a Base Plate and Tow Bar, Front and Rear Anti-Sway Bars and a Steering Stabilizer. And when we're ready to upgrade to a bigger Class A when we retire, we sure won't consider 'ol Ron (he's really dumb, isn't he?).
One thing about this that you need to know, I wrote to Coachmen about his attitude towards a prospective buyer, and got no reply at all. So, Coachmen doesn't care how their Dealers treat buyers, so I really don't expect them to treat me any differently if I were to have a serious problem (also really dumb because I doubt our next MH will be a Coachmen).
And General RV in Draper, UT isn't much better. Yes, we got a great price, but their service after the sale stinks! After we picked up the MH I had a few basic questions to ask, and it took almost two weeks to get simple answers from them. They kept pushing me off from one person to another. It was like this was the first Motorhome they had ever sold, and no one there had a clue. It was plainly obvious that once you drive off their lot, they don't care about you either.
So best of luck to you. Your greatest challenge will be finding a Manufacturer and Dealer who's really interested in you and your future business. Even though we like our 21RS, I couldn't recommend Coachmen to anyone.
-Mark in Colorado Springs
Old 08-02-2016, 04:24 PM   #3

Thanks

Hi Mark,

I did end up buying the Coachmen Freelander 21RS.

I purchased it from Ron Hoover in Boerne, TX. and the sales people and the service people have been great so far, so no complaints in that department.

I've only used it once so far and everything went well. The only thing I noticed, and that I don't like, is the couch/seating area. The couch is very narrow and I never really could get comfortable. I am considering taking the couch out and adding a recliner or two. I also removed the table and put it into storage. I sealed the holes with some clear silicone where the table was mounted and put a rug over the floor. It really opens up the living area and I just use a fold-up tv table when I want to eat or use the computer. I also stored the overcab "bed" area, opting to just leave that part open unless someone ends up traveling with me that needs a place to sleep. I feel with the table and overcab area out, it's a larger, more livable space.

Other than that, I like the rest of the layout.

Thanks for responding and I wish you and your wife safe travels!

Monica
moniraq is offline   Reply With Quote