Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 07:52 AM   #1

Cross Country Trip - Underway

2017 Mirada Class A V-10. Second day into a NC to Vancouver BC - 3 month trip. Noticed when in the "Tow/Haul" mode I'm getting a lot of downshifting at highway speeds. Is there something I'm missing with transmission. I'm in the "D" position. Any advice from you seasoned V-10 owners.....
ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #2

You don't say what kind of roads you are on, if you are towing or what your highway speed is, so I can only let you know about my experience.

My highway speed is ~63mph. I always tow my Jeep and I always use tow/haul mode. At this speed the engine is ~2,500rpm. Even on relatively flat roads I will get downshifts at overpasses and on slight inclines. If you look at power curve charts for the 2016> Ford V10, this engine makes peak torque (460) @ ~3,200rpm and peak hp (320) @ ~4,000rpm. So at my highway speeds I am well below either of those. Going up a moderate hill with cruise control on, mine will shift down to 4th gear and that will get the engine to ~4,000rpm to maintain 63mph.

After having driven/still driving diesel pickups since the late 80s, it was a bit disconcerting when I first drove my Mirada, but now I am used to it and just let it do its thing.

AL
1997 F-350 CC PSD
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:19 PM   #3

THANKS!! We are headed West on interstate highways thus far towing a Jeep Wrangler. In “D” and Tow/Hsul activated cruising at 60-65 I getting downshifts pushing RPMs upwards to 3500. Also, when braking down inclines noticed engine reaching 3800/4000 RPMs ( is this normal).
Old 07-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINEER View Post
THANKS!! We are headed West on interstate highways thus far towing a Jeep Wrangler. In “D” and Tow/Hsul activated cruising at 60-65 I getting downshifts pushing RPMs upwards to 3500. Also, when braking down inclines noticed engine reaching 3800/4000 RPMs ( is this normal).
It is completely normal to see RPMs to hit 4K both up and down hills.

AL
1997 F-350 CC PSD
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

BigHomey is correct however you do not have to live with the terrible shift and power strategy Ford has programmed your Triton and Transmission for. This is the 2nd V-10 for me and I use a 5Star Tune on both. It is a world of difference. 5startuning.com will get you all the info you need. Also please search this or any other forum for 5Star and read what others have to say.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHomey View Post
It is completely normal to see RPMs to hit 4K both up and down hills.

AL
Thank you for your insights
Old 07-18-2018, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
BigHomey is correct however you do not have to live with the terrible shift and power strategy Ford has programmed your Triton and Transmission for. This is the 2nd V-10 for me and I use a 5Star Tune on both. It is a world of difference. 5startuning.com will get you all the info you need. Also please search this or any other forum for 5Star and read what others have to say.
Thank you. I will go look at 5Star