Old 08-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #41

We are about midway through our camping season and the Actiontec works pretty well! A little bit of a delay in the back bedroom when changing channels, but I'm so glad that I even can, that I don't mind!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh R View Post
Just got the DISH Tailgater today, plugged it into a house TV to make sure it worked before I try installing in the Coachmen. Works great.

Hooking it up to the RV tomorrow, I hope. I believe I have co-axial cable from the DVD player to the TV. It seems to me the best thing to do is take the co-axial input to the DVD player and plug it into the Tailgater receiver as satellite input and plug an HDMI cable from the receiver into the HDMI on the TV in the living room. Then use the TV inputs to select co-axial or HDMI, when I want to switch between the DVD player and the Tailgater. Should I get some kind of HDMI splitter and try running a long HDMI cable to the bedroom? I'd just buy another DVD player for the bedroom.

Any thoughts?
First, I think it's unlikely that your DVD player has any coax connections (unless it's really old). And I'm not following your connection from the DVD to the Sat receiver. I agree with using your TV menu to switch between sources, HDMI-Sat and whatever your DVD connection is (probably also HDMI or composite video (yellow)).

Old 08-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #43

Got it hooked up. And it works. The tailgater only seems to work with a direct connection to the receiver, from their cable from the Tailgater to the receiver.

Dish confirmed this. It won't work with the house cable hookup or any splitters. Some units it may work, but DISH say most don't. The Actiontec seems to work just fine. I'm beat too much wiring and figuring out.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #44

Totally agreed. Too many restrictions with this Dish setup. I am not satisfied with the dish tailgater. From research after the fact I found the Vuqube AKA Flex would have been a better choice and is compatible with both Dish and Direct.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh R View Post
Got it hooked up. And it works. The tailgater only seems to work with a direct connection to the receiver, from their cable from the Tailgater to the receiver.

Dish confirmed this. It won't work with the house cable hookup or any splitters. Some units it may work, but DISH say most don't. The Actiontec seems to work just fine. I'm beat too much wiring and figuring out.
It will probably work with "Park Cable" wire; you just have to disconnect it from the back of the antenna booster control (which contains a splitter).
Old 08-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJMB View Post
Totally agreed. Too many restrictions with this Dish setup. I am not satisfied with the dish tailgater. From research after the fact I found the Vuqube AKA Flex would have been a better choice and is compatible with both Dish and Direct.
Dish has the advantage that they offer a pay-as-you-go plan so you can just pay for the days that you are actually camping. The Tailgater is cheaper. Once it's wired, it's wired.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
First, I think it's unlikely that your DVD player has any coax connections (unless it's really old). .
Sorry, meant RCA plugs.

Question. I turned the DISH receiver off last night (green light out) and today, I checked and the receiver was very hot. Is this normal?

I called DISH and they said "Well it is hot in So Cal today, is it in an open or closed cabinet". Duh, I seriously doubt its supposed to be so hot on the top when its off that it is uncomfortable to my hand. Its on a shelf, but it was hot, hot compared to the ambient temp in the RV. I unplugged it. I'll let it cool down or an hour or three and see if it still works.

BTW, I can confirm that DISH charges on a rolling 30 days, not calender month. $19.95 for the basic 120 channel programming. End of the 30 days the contract stops and you can renew with a phone call or I think online or with the unit itself.

Service getting started was pretty good. Took a few minutes longer than I would have expected, but I suspect they don't do as many Tailgater contracts as compared to regular house contracts.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #48

Yes, it's normal. They do get quite warm. Like a lot of electronics these days, it doesn't really turn off. (And if you use an external switch to kill the power, it won't function properly after a day or two.)
Old 08-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #49

Thanks Barry:

Seems odd to me, my DVR in my house doesn't get hot at all (slightly warm maybe, but not hot) and its on 24/7. But I'll keep an eye on it.

Had to look it up never heard of a Sanibel. Very, very cool.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #50

I found that DISH is charging m $59.95 for America's Top 120,(not $19.95 as I incorrectly posted above) where if I had it at home it would be $29.95. I understand that I'm renting it month-to-month, so they want more. I called and asked about getting a year or two service contract at the $29.95 rate or there abouts. They said "No". Seems to me that it should be all the same to them whether beaming to my house or RV. Guess not.

BTW, for those of you new to it, the green power button may go on then off in a minute. Don't be tempted to keep pushing the power button. Let it start (green on) and if it turns off, let it sit for a few minutes, it will eventually come back on and cycle.

BTW, the Actiontec transmitter/receiver works well. A very slight echo, but I think its more the acoustics of the Coachmen than the units. Highly recommend it, versus monkeying around with wiring and trying to fish cable. Directions were easy and it worked the first time I started it.