Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2018, 11:14 PM   #1

Does my 2017 Leprechaun 311FS have a black tank flush

Hello,

I have a 2017 Leprechaun 311FS and can not figure out if I have a black tank flush or not. In the compartment where the water is hooked up I have a white connection and per the diagram it states that it is a flush hookup. I have no idea if this is for the black tank, or to just flush the water system ?

I have looked through all of my manuals and can not find anything on that white connection.

BTW the wife and I are loving our Leprechaun, but my dealer did a terrible job of going over everything with us.

Thanks,
Old 10-23-2018, 04:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperbsd View Post
Hello,

I have a 2017 Leprechaun 311FS and can not figure out if I have a black tank flush or not. In the compartment where the water is hooked up I have a white connection and per the diagram it states that it is a flush hookup. I have no idea if this is for the black tank, or to just flush the water system ?

I have looked through all of my manuals and can not find anything on that white connection.

BTW the wife and I are loving our Leprechaun, but my dealer did a terrible job of going over everything with us.

Thanks,
Not familiar with your unit but you should have a City Water connection, A freshwater tank connection or fill port, and a black tank flush water connection. Don't mix them up. DO NOT connect and use the black flush connection until the black tank is empty. Accidents can be nasty. Many a story here about black flush accidents. I don't have a black flush or I would be one of them.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:36 AM   #3
Jeff

I have the 319mbs with the same panel - that white connection that says flush is for the black tank, not the water system. We all think it seems backwards color wise as black is for the incoming water (for either filling the tank or providing city water, depending on the position of the blue lever) while white is where you connect a hose to flush the black tank. As cavie said, just make sure you don’t get distracted while the dump valve is closed!

Welcome to the Leprechaun Nation and I hope this helps!
Jcf0527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:43 PM   #4

Glad to hear I do have a black tank flush. Thanks so much for the replies.

I am guessing that you just hook up a water hose to the with flush connector and open the black tank valve than turn on the water ?

Not sure why, but finding instructions on how to use the black tank flush seems hard to do. I even tried google.

Thanks again,
Old 10-23-2018, 07:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Glad to hear I do have a black tank flush. Thanks so much for the replies.

I am guessing that you just hook up a water hose to the with flush connector and open the black tank valve than turn on the water ?

Not sure why, but finding instructions on how to use the black tank flush seems hard to do. I even tried google.

Thanks again,
youtube is your friend
Old 10-23-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
Jeff

Does my 2017 Leprechaun 311FS have a black tank flush

Yes, that’s correct. So I have a “y” connector right after my inline water filter. I connect a short, dedicated hose with a back flow preventer to the flush port - DO NOT USE THE SAME HOSE AS YO
UR SUPPLY - and open that leg of the “ y”. I like to do the “ fill and flush” method - pull the valve and do the initial dump, close the valve and let it fill a bit, pull the valve and dump, then repeat ( sometimes 4 or 5 times). BUT YOU HAVE TO MONITOR so you don’t overflow the tank!!!!! I also have a clear 45 degree elbow so I can see how clean the water is coming out of the tank.
Jcf0527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:10 PM   #7

I have the same model. For some unknown reason to many of us, some Leps are different. The white connection is to flush the black tank. The black connection is for the water to be use in the sinks and shower. Weird, yeah. Fill free to ask questions, some of us in this forum have this model and love it. If yours has a washer and dryer combo, please open the black valve on the left before using it. The drain for this does not go to the grey tank as in other units. FYI
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:42 PM   #8

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

So this morning I went to try and use the black tank flush, but found an issue.

I emptied the black tank first as always and then emptied the grey tank. Once they were both emptied I closed just the gray valve and left the black valve open.

I than proceeded to hook up my spare garden hose to the white connection (black tank flush). Once connected I turned on the water and found that although some water is getting into the black tank to flush it there is also water coming out of a blue plastic thingy (see picture). This blue plastic thingy sits underneath the RV and points straight to the ground.

This blue thingy looks to be some sort of overflow valve and when I try and flush the black tank water comes out of this blue plastic thing. Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but I can confirm that "some" of the water is making it to the black tank as I can see some water coming out of the black tank drain hose, as I have a clear elbow on it. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong. ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	190060  
Old 10-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #9

Quote:

I emptied the black tank first as always and then emptied the grey tank. Once they were both emptied I closed just the gray valve and left the black valve open.

I than proceeded to hook up my spare garden hose to the white connection (black tank flush). Once connected I turned on the water and found that although some water is getting into the black tank to flush it there is also water coming out of a blue plastic thingy (see picture). This blue plastic thingy sits underneath the RV and points straight to the ground.

This blue thingy looks to be some sort of overflow valve and when I try and flush the black tank water comes out of this blue plastic thing. Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but I can confirm that "some" of the water is making it to the black tank as I can see some water coming out of the black tank drain hose, as I have a clear elbow on it. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong. ?

The "blue thingie" would be you fresh water overflow/vent. Usually not blue. The blue and red are usually your low point drains. It appears that your white connection is for your FW tank as it should be. Black tank flush should be Black. If it is reversed as someone stated then My vote goes to them being hooked up wrong at the factory.

Find your FW drain and see if the tank is full.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:54 PM   #10

Cavie, as I shared. Coachman has the colors connection reversed for some reason. I know it does not make sense but that is the way it is with Leprechauns. I don't know if the same case applies to the Concords. Weird! I know.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:04 PM   #11
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwisconsin View Post
Cavie, as I shared. Coachman has the colors connection reversed for some reason. I know it does not make sense but that is the way it is with Leprechauns. I don't know if the same case applies to the Concords. Weird! I know.
Yup Concords too. Not sure of the reasoning behind it, just don't mix them up!

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:27 PM   #12

Quote:

So I wanted to update this thread as I spoke to the service guru at my local Coachmen dealer today and he thinks that I have a check valve that was most likely installed backwards at the factory, as he has seen this exact same issue with Coachmen before. He told me to look for the check valve under the sink in the bathroom to confirm if it was installed backwards at the factory. I will be back in the RV on Sunday and I will try and find this check valve. He stated that if I am unable to find the valve I can make an appointment and they will fix it.

If it turns out to be an easy fix I will just take care of it.....
Old 11-03-2018, 12:31 PM   #13

What do you need to do to get it fix?
Old 11-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #14

Remove it, turn it around the correct direction and reinstall. Hopefully that is the issue.

Have you had any issues with your black water flush. ?
Old 11-03-2018, 11:01 PM   #15

Nope, we haven't had any issues with the black flush. MY DW doesn't drive, so she is in charge of the tanks. Lol.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:01 AM   #16

Viperbsd - We just purchased a new-to-us 2018 311fs. The only issue we've found at this point is exactly what you described here! Can you please tell me if the fix you described took care of the problem? Were you able to get it done yourself or did you end up having to take it to the dealer? While we still have the problem, it's sooo nice to know what the problem is!!!

2018 Leprechaun 311FS
Doxies in the Rockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxies in the Rockies View Post
Viperbsd - We just purchased a new-to-us 2018 311fs. The only issue we've found at this point is exactly what you described here! Can you please tell me if the fix you described took care of the problem? Were you able to get it done yourself or did you end up having to take it to the dealer? While we still have the problem, it's sooo nice to know what the problem is!!!
Hello Doxies,

The problem turned out to be that the low point drain was open. The low point drain for my 311FS is located under the center seat in the U shaped dinette. Just remove the cushion and the plywood board under it and you should see the valve.

Once the low point valve was closed the black tank flush has been working great.

I hope that helps,

Jeff
Old 09-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #18

Jeff - Thank you for such a quick reply! We didn't know about that valve. We were shown a low point valve that is accessed from inside under the bed. It makes sense though since that's close to where the water is coming out. We'll check under the dinette seating tonight and hopefully our problem is easily and quickly resolved!

Thank you so much!
Bettye

2018 Leprechaun 311FS
Old 09-24-2019, 07:21 PM   #19

Jeff - Sure enough, we had the exact situation as you. One valve was just a little bit open. All is working great now. Plus, we now know where those valves are when it's time to drain the system.

Thanks again for your help!
Bettye

2018 Leprechaun 311FS
Old 10-01-2019, 08:31 AM   #20

low point drains

Heres three of four low point drains. under dinette. one more under bed for fresh water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190926_103118430.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	216338  
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, flush, tank