Old 08-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #1

drop dwn hitch = bucking bronco

I have some height difference between the Jeep base plate and the hitch on the coach. I bought a 4 inch drop receiver to bring the base plate and hitch within 1.5 inches. However....

When the Jeep was connected (BluOx tow bar) directly to the coach (before adding the 4 in drop down receiver) I had no tugging or noise when pulling the jeep; hardly knew it was there.

Now that I have the added complication of a drop down receiver it seems the amount of play between the devices has increased and the jeep will tug and pull at the coach on rough or uneven road. It also clunks quite a bit.

I can live with it but I don't like it. I have thought about jamming lead wedges into the receivers to tighten up the fit. (they are both 2 inch).

I also have considered leaving the drop receiver at home.

Is this normal? Any suggestions?

Roll

2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #2

Lead will mushroom out of there pretty quickly. You may want to find a hardened bolt to replace the pin on the coach side of the drop hitch. You can put the bolt in there and snug it up. Not sure if it would tighten things up enough or not.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acableguy06 View Post
Lead will mushroom out of there pretty quickly. You may want to find a hardened bolt to replace the pin on the coach side of the drop hitch. You can put the bolt in there and snug it up. Not sure if it would tighten things up enough or not.
You're probably right about the lead. It does give me an idea though I wonder if sheet rubber (like an inner tube type of rubber) would help.

I may contact BluOx and see what they suggest.

Thanks,

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

You can also drill and tap the collar on the side and bottom of the receiver and install a 3/8" bolt and lock nut and tighten the bolts to lock the bar and then tighten the lock nuts to secure the bolts from loosening. You might even consider adding additional bolts farther up on the receiver past the pin to keep the bar from any movement whatsoever.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #5

Roll - For what it's worth, I have a drop hitch for our Jeep and we don't hear/feel anything when towing. I have a Demco baseplate though (not sure if that would be the difference, other than me having a much older Jeep?)...
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #6

I believe I read about some rubber "washers" for 2" receivers to reduce the slop between the two.
Might want to Google it. Not sure whether it was at CW or on an RV forum.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013leprechaun319dsf View Post
I believe I read about some rubber "washers" for 2" receivers to reduce the slop between the two.
Might want to Google it. Not sure whether it was at CW or on an RV forum.
After some hand wringing I decided to open the wallet and get the secure fasteners for the hitch and drop receiver. BluOx wanted 70 each (need two) but I found them (BluOx) at another retailer for 48 each and bought them.

Will be installing them today or tomorrow.

Thanks all for your help.

Roll

Tags
hitch