Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 06:41 PM   #1

Cool Dual wheel valve extensions

I just got off the phone with Bretz RV in Billings MT and they are quoting $80 for two braided valve extensions for the two inside rear wheels plus $150 to install them. Does this sound right to you? The labor seems very high, they say they have to raise the rig up and remove the wheels to install the extensions.
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #2

I bought mine installed them myself, didn't need to remove anything except the wheel cover do a search for valve extensions, no where near 80.00 to buy

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-89658-5.html
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
Senior Member - Retired

Braded Extensions - Caution

I installed braded valve extensions on the four rear wheels of my MH in June of 2015. On July 3, 2016 I turned on my TPMS and received an alarm tone and a reading of 29 PSI on the left rear inside tire. Took some testing to figure out the braded line had failed. I paid @229 to have the four rear wheels dismounted and the inside tires deflated from the wheels so two new solid valve stems could be installed. I contacted the braded valve extension vendor and after sending them the four braded extensions, I was able to obtain a full parts refund. These are large wheel and tire combinations which are extremely heavy. It took two hours to complete the job so I felt the price was fair. If you have braded valve extensions, watch them closely. I might not have noticed the inside rear tire had a problem if I did not have a TMS.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:03 PM   #4

Thank you! I think I will look into a tire pressure monitoring system. I have six tires on the ground and a spare in the basement. Any suggestions? If I can install it myself that would be good.
Thank you in advance...
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
I installed braded valve extensions on the four rear wheels of my MH in June of 2015. On July 3, 2016 I turned on my TPMS and received an alarm tone and a reading of 29 PSI on the left rear inside tire. Took some testing to figure out the braded line had failed. I paid @229 to have the four rear wheels dismounted and the inside tires deflated from the wheels so two new solid valve stems could be installed. I contacted the braded valve extension vendor and after sending them the four braded extensions, I was able to obtain a full parts refund. These are large wheel and tire combinations which are extremely heavy. It took two hours to complete the job so I felt the price was fair. If you have braded valve extensions, watch them closely. I might not have noticed the inside rear tire had a problem if I did not have a TMS.
Thanks for the info. We're installing TPMS next week.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:45 PM   #6
Senior Member - Retired

I prefer, as I expect do the majority of people on this forum, the TST systems. I have a total of ten tires on the ground (6 + 4) and use the TST 507 "Flow Thru". I suggest you look at the TST website and decide which system best fits your needs. I also suggest you buy directly from them. Their customer service is outstanding! Best of luck.

Truck System Technologies
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:16 PM   #7
Wait till next year...

I have gone thru the braided and solid and actually went back to the factory Air flexx extensions. Braided just seemed to much of a hassel and solid metal too heavy. Solved the leaking problem with solid rubber stabilizers on all wheels. Feel they give the extensions solid support. I put the flow thru TSTs first on the inside dually then the extension.
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #8
RailwayRog

Pricey but probably the best way to go. I got them on my rig.
Tire-Man: Home Page
RailwayRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #9
2012 Georgetown 378

Any thoughts on Aluminum wheels like on my 378 F-53 Ford??

Ray, Cynthia, Duncan and Bailey
2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:18 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Hoses are available from Amazon for $67.
I figure about an hour or less ( maybe half hour if you are really handy) with your own hand tools to do a full install as it is important to have the outer end of the hoses firmly (bolted is best) tied down.
The hour includes drilling holes for pop rivets in the hub cap.
I have a blog post showing my set-up.

Note my picture was taken without the TPMS sensors installed.
I bought TireTraker as they have the best warranty I know of.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #11

Tireman9 does the added weight of the hoses or TPMS sensors require tire balancing? Did you mount the TPMS sensors before the hoses (at the metal valve stem)?
Wrightwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrightwood View Post
Tireman9 does the added weight of the hoses or TPMS sensors require tire balancing? Did you mount the TPMS sensors before the hoses (at the metal valve stem)?
No re-balance required with hoses or TPMS or both installed. As a professional in vehicle rife & handling evaluation I have a trained and educated butt and I do not feel any difference. The hoses on dual counter-balance much of their weight.

If you have full wheel covers you can still attach the hose end bracket to the center section of the wheel simulators.

I will be posting new picture soon.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 03-20-2016, 07:09 AM   #13

dually valve extensions

Tireman9
Have you had any experience with installing a Crossfire system on MH with wheel simulators & if so any info would be appreciated

2016 Freelander 26RSF
2015 Jeep wrangler sport toad
jjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:58 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Personally I see no advantage but do see some disadvantage to Crossfire system.
When you set the pressure in your dual tires you can set to +/1 a couple of pounds which is plenty accurate enough.
If one tire develops a leak it will continue to loose air till it goes flat. The Crossfire will only transfer a few psi before it shuts off. This means the tire that now has to carry most or all the load has had some of its air bleed off. Not a good thing.

IMO a MUCH better investment is in a TPMS which will warn you if you develop a leak so you have time to do something in most cases.

Tags
wheel