Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #21

Turning the house batteries off would should shut down the fan (if the 110v is not hooked up) but I agree that is a Band-Aid and does not really solve the problem of why the fan runs when the furnace is in off mode or the temperature is set low enough so that there is no call for heat.

My Encounter coach has two thermostats, one in the hall and one in the bedroom, have you checked to see if there is more than one thermostat?

Normally after using the furnace and when the requested temperature has been reached, the heat function will shut down but the fan will run for a few minutes clearing out remaining heat and cooling the heating element. So... have you tried setting the heat control up, letting the furnace run for a few minutes and then adjusting the thermostat down to cycle the furnace and see if after a few minutes the fan stops? Doing this is pointless if you don't have the proper setting across the board. Unplug the 110v, set fan to auto, make sure the house batteries are "on", and check for that second thermostat and make sure it is off as well.

I don't know your experience level so I'll offer one other wild thought. Check all the ceiling fans and make sure none of them are running and are being confused with the blower on the furnace. (You did say air was coming from an outlet on a wall though.)

If that doesn't work it might be time for a call to the dealer, your son-in-law, or forest river.

Completely unrelated..... I am surprised your daughter and son-in-law agreed to this "test" as you called it. This is no doubt a huge investment for them and it takes some time to learn the systems, sort out problems, and figure out just what using an RV involves. I love my children, children in law. and all my grandchildren but I have been firm in my negative responses when asked if they could use the coach for a weekend, a concert, or a vacation. It's a lose lose. You can do damage through ignorance or lack of training and then no one will be happy, not my kids, not me. The first couple of discussions were painful for me, I hate to deny them anything but I didn't see this as a good idea under about any circumstances. They agreed after giving it some thought.

For what it's worth.

Gary and Cindy
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #22

The thermostat does not control the fan off and on. The fan is turned on when thermostat calls for heat then kept on by a thermal switch in the heater. Sequence of events is - thremostat calls for heat - fan starts and opens a "sail swicch" (verifies the fan is running) - if the sail switch works the gas valve and igniter try to light the furnace if the furnace does not light after three tries all stops (including the fan) and you start over.

What keeps the fan running is the thermal switch in the heater. It is possible this switch is malfunctioning (actually probably the circuit board in the heater).

The heater and heater controls are 12 VDC and removing the fuse is an easy way to turn the fan motor off but t hen the heater will not work. Turning the DC power switch OFF will stop all DC from powering the trailer.
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman99 View Post
The thermostat does not control the fan off and on. The fan is turned on when thermostat calls for heat then kept on by a thermal switch in the heater.
I don't disagree but want to point out, in our Coachmen product we have two temperature control units, one in the Hall and one in the Bedroom. They appear to be identical. I can control the furnace or AC fan via these units which I usually call thermostats but technically they have several functions. They have a setting for "Fan" that can cause the furnace/AC fan to run constantly in "low" or "high" whether the furnace or A/C are producing heat or cool air. It's an idiosyncrasy of the system that causes owners issues until they set the "Fan mode" to auto. In "auto" the fans (furnace or AC) only run when required by heating or cooling cycles.

May not make much sense but that is the way it works in our Encounter and I've seen commets regarding this from other Coachmen owners.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #24

In the "heat" mode the thermostat sends a signal to the heater circuit board to start the heating sequence. Turn the fan on - sail switch closes - gas valve opens and igniter tries to light the furnace - if the furnace lights a temperature sensor sends a signal to the circuit board to keep the fan on. If the heater does not light the circuit board will turn the heater fan off.

So actually the thermostat does not control the fan - the heater circuit board controls the fan.
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan