Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #1

Faux leather problem

Anyone else having this problem? The outer material is separating from the inner material.
2013 405FK sportscoach
All of my furniture is doing this. Contacted the furniture man.and they said that yes the product was defective. And they would send me all new covers for only 1300.00 and then I have to get someone to put it on.
Anybody else think this is an exceptiable response or is it one of those Yep its out of warranty so suck it up and fix it on my dime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180620_104849.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	179291  
Wannabretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #2

same here, 84,000 miles and 4 years and almost every part of each of my 'faux leather' seats, backs, and arms are like that... I heard that there is a 'spray' paint that is supposed to be to 'repair' these like new. I'll let you try it first...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #3

That is terrible, I would try to spray it first, can't be worst, don't know what does that seems some do and most don't. Did they say the cause of it? Or is is just cheap stuff. What a shame, now that would upset me to put it
Nice on the fourm.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forest River Forums mobile app

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabretired View Post
Anyone else having this problem? The outer material is separating from the inner material.

2013 405FK sportscoach

All of my furniture is doing this. Contacted the furniture man.and they said that yes the product was defective. And they would send me all new covers for only 1300.00 and then I have to get someone to put it on.

Anybody else think this is an exceptiable response or is it one of those Yep its out of warranty so suck it up and fix it on my dime.

Happened where my dog always walked in circles before laying down. I figured his claws did it
jegstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:29 PM   #5

Where u set is the worst spots bit it is doing it all over. And their comment was to blame forest river for their choice of material. Asked them if I did buy the new material what guarantee did I have that it wouldnt do it and was only told the material well u can read it which didnt leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180712-192718_Email.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	179313  
Old 07-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #6

I have been talking with a dealer in Kerrville Tx, about a Concord they have, with about 7k miles. Each piece in the coach has an issue with separation. I called to ask if the owners had dogs!

He told me the factory went through several years of receiving faulty fabric, and they are now having the coach completely redone locally. I'd have preferred to make an offer 'as is', but too late.

Hope to go see it late this month, and do a driving trip, to several dealers, in the Dallas/SA area.
VaughnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #7

What year is the Coach? 7,000 miles means nothing. I can see if a dog caused the problem, but if it happened just because of a bad product, then Coachman should be standing behind it no matter how old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughnB View Post
I have been talking with a dealer in Kerrville Tx, about a Concord they have, with about 7k miles. Each piece in the coach has an issue with separation. I called to ask if the owners had dogs!

He told me the factory went through several years of receiving faulty fabric, and they are now having the coach completely redone locally. I'd have preferred to make an offer 'as is', but too late.

Hope to go see it late this month, and do a driving trip, to several dealers, in the Dallas/SA area.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #8

It's a '14. 300TC at Ronnie Bock's in Kerrville.

Apparently, it is too old for Coachmen to offer anything. I was investigating the cost of new/re-do, when they told me they had given a local shop the order to replace.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:59 PM   #9

Well known issue. I had in my previous FW. Here you can read some comments about this issue.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-101532.html
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:58 PM   #10

UPDATE:
After contacting forest river about this issue,they are aware of this problem. They are sending me the material to recover my furniture(free of charge) BUT, I have to have someone put it on. Better than buying it and having to still have someone. So maybe the savings will at least offset the other. Still better than a poke in the nose.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #11

(Owned a carpet and upholstery cleaning business for 25 years in my "other" life) Bonded leather and Faux leather are similar but different. Both start with a fabric backing. Bonded leather actually has "some" real leather as part of the vinyl (plastic) finish. Faux leather simply has a vinyl material of some type secured to the fabric.

Probably best to bite the bullet and either have someone re-upholster the sofa with a more durable fabric, or simply replace entire sofa
DanM33573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:38 PM   #12

I spoke with a dealer in Florida today, about a Phoenix Cruiser they have, 2013. Same problem. i guess China did a job on the whole industry for a few years.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #13

Well if the new material last 4 or 5 yrs. It'll be 10 yrs old then so I will probably have traded it off by then cause itll just be time to upgrade by then.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #14
Handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
same here, 84,000 miles and 4 years and almost every part of each of my 'faux leather' seats, backs, and arms are like that... I heard that there is a 'spray' paint that is supposed to be to 'repair' these like new. I'll let you try it first...
If anyone knows the name of this "spray paint", I'll try it. Both my swivel rockers are doing this after 2 years of limited use. I priced having them recovered. $600 plus material. I can buy new ones for that. I have nothing to loose trying the spray paint.
tfmdgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #15

Has anyone tried seat covers on the Captain chairs? If so what brand and how do they look. Both of our Captains chairs on our 2015 Mirada are peeling - no pets.
JohnMirada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #16

I do not recall the name of what I used on my leather recliners in the past, but it was very much like a spray paint. You sprayed it on and then rubbed it in. It left the chair a little different shade and had a shiny texture, but it did nothing for scratches or the area the little dog scratched when trying to lay down. I think yours is too far gone to do any good because it is the underlying fabric that is exposed.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #17

I thought this was just normal for forest river products, my drivers seat is flaking and I have 18,000 miles on it, I always have the curtains closed when not driving, and on the second set of curtains, the other rotted out after a few months
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #18

I misspoke in my earlier note. The coach in Florida is also a Concord, not Phoenix. Lazydays told me the same as the Texas dealer, about the 3-4 year stretch of bad product.

The coach in Kerrville Tx. is about finished, so I hope to visit soon. Closer than Tampa, as well!
Old 07-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #19

Yes, it is a problem with the bonding of the two materials they( forest river) know about it. I am the original owner so they will send me new material already to be put on but I have to pay someone to do that. So heres hoping that the new material will not do the same thing.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:26 PM   #20

Do you know what year they changed after discovering it by any chance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabretired View Post
Yes, it is a problem with the bonding of the two materials they( forest river) know about it. I am the original owner so they will send me new material already to be put on but I have to pay someone to do that. So heres hoping that the new material will not do the same thing.