Old 07-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #1

Fluorescent over the sink.

Floresents over the sink.

One of the two 18 inch 15w bulbs under the cabinet (over the sink), burned out. Found replacements at Lowes. 15w 18 inch but a little brighter at 3600 rather then the 3000 lumens the original bulbs were.

They start just fine and provide a brighter light which I like but they won't stay on. They throw off heat that after a few minutes, causes the fixture to shut down. Same wattage bulbs just a few lumens brighter.

Any ideas? How about LED replacements, (inshort) ? We leave this fixture on all night by the way.

Thanks All,

Gary

2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #2

Roll,
I played with strip lite replacements and LED tube replacements. Found the strip lites were a pain, went with the tubes. They fit in the old tube slots and the wiring mod was easy. T5 tubes at M4 products @ 16.99 each, greatly reduced my power draw and heat venerated. As always with M4 they come in two temperatures so you can set your ambiance. Other projects; lite dimmer on the living area lights-done, TST Systems TPM for coach and toad, replacible batteries and flow thru so I can add air with them installed-done, Surge protector with over/under voltage protection and remote monitor in coach-done, BluOx TigerTrak ordered, BluOx TrueCenter ordered, Gale Banks Ram-Air Intake System ordered, Winegard Automatic roof dish-installed (camping world). Thats it for now.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nshort View Post
Roll,
I played with strip lite replacements and LED tube replacements. Found the strip lites were a pain, went with the tubes. They fit in the old tube slots and the wiring mod was easy. T5 tubes at M4 products @ 16.99 each, greatly reduced my power draw and heat venerated. As always with M4 they come in two temperatures so you can set your ambiance. Other projects; lite dimmer on the living area lights-done, TST Systems TPM for coach and toad, replacible batteries and flow thru so I can add air with them installed-done, Surge protector with over/under voltage protection and remote monitor in coach-done, BluOx TigerTrak ordered, BluOx TrueCenter ordered, Gale Banks Ram-Air Intake System ordered, Winegard Automatic roof dish-installed (camping world). Thats it for now.
Wow you've been busy. Did you go Direct or Dish? We have the Winegard Traveler dish in the Direct version and love it. Finds the sats automatically and locks in, can switch and record multiple HD channels just like at home (but not as many at one time as the Genie system at home).

It does make a fair amount of gear and mechanical noise when it deploys and again when it stows but that never bothered us.

I also did the surge protector. I did the installation myself including installing the LED panel that came with the unit, and running the cable to the LED panel. Wasn't too difficult but start to end took most of a day. It has a delay to protect the AC units that can be bypassed but I leave it on.

Decided to just replace the entire fixture under the cabinet (over the kitchen sink). My Electrical Engineer next door thinks that the problem is the ballast since the new bulbs are identical in stats to the ones that came in the fixture. A new fixture is not expensive and replacing it should be a snap.

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #4

Yep, WinegardTraveler Dish version. Been with dish over 10 years. Thinking about upgrading to the Hopper. I bring both of our receivers with us so I could record 4 programs at a time. Jude the same system GoCar 6

Sent from my LGL86C using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 07-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #5

Darn phone! I use the same system GoCar 6 uses to switch output to other tv's without wires.

Sent from my LGL86C using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 07-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #6

Ended up having to buy an entire fixture and spend more than expected. Turns out none of the local hardware outfits carry 12v DC lights. A standard 120v AC fixture won't work; I thought what I took out was 120v AC but it wasn't.

Oh well.... new fixture will be here today; I'll install it and move on to the next issue.

By the way, had a rattle in the new bathroom fan I had installed a year ago and sure enough it was a bug, or what remained of the bug. Had to pull the fan apart to get it out.

Gary
Old 08-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #7

I found led tubes at M4 products. 18 inch? Mine at sink are 11 inch T5. I have replaced all tubes with led tubes, no to minimal heat. I played around with tubes and led strips. Take my word for it.....stick with the tubes. Been away for a bit. Getting ready fr a 5 week cross country.

1n
Old 08-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #8

I installed 3 led 3" under cabinet lights when I took that 2 tube fluorescent fixture out. What a difference in lighting......brighter and clearer. 3 lights were cheaper than buying new bulbs for the old fixture. I even added some to a slide out,bedroom and living room. The ones under the kitchen cabinet are also dimable.