Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadnomad View Post
i have been looking at the forest river/coachmen leprechaun 260ds. This unit comes in the chevy and ford version.

I have always been a gm person but after crawling around underneath the chevy and then under the ford it appears the ford appears to be a heavier and strong chassis. Add to that the difference in the engines, v8 vs v10. It seems ford has the edge over chevy there as well. Considering i will be pulling around a 4k car i am thinking the v10 would be a better choice. Add to that coachman advertises a 5k rated hitch on the chevy vs a 7.5k hitch on the ford. I have been told that really is not a true rating as this number is strickly what the hitch is rated for and a reflection of what the vehicle can really pull.

I have heard some say the ford v10 is a fuel hog especially when teamed with the 5 speed automatic vs the chevy v8 with 6 speed transmission.

Finally, cost, the chevy unit equipped exactly the same as the ford will save me about 10% in final class c cost.

Opinions and experiences please!
ford e-450 !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:03 AM   #22

When looking at 'just traded in', find out what the owners traded for. If it was another class c, I recommend looking at that dealers rig very closely. There may be hidden issues. Or, the previous owners might have traded based on a characteristic that you haven't considered yet. Like storage or layout of a particular area.

Our experiences in buying RVs that were used is that you can learn alot about what you can do with that rig based on what they did with it.

Just my .02.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC38EL View Post
When looking at 'just traded in', find out what the owners traded for. If it was another class c, I recommend looking at that dealers rig very closely. There may be hidden issues. Or, the previous owners might have traded based on a characteristic that you haven't considered yet. Like storage or layout of a particular area.

Our experiences in buying RVs that were used is that you can learn alot about what you can do with that rig based on what they did with it.

Just my .02.
We sold our Sunseeker because we were very uncomfortable setting in the dinette set in the evening, we are old & I have a bad spine, i did not think I could remove the dinette, and replace it, so we sold it, and bought a very comfortable small Flagstaff 25FBLS with Theater Seats !!!
Old 07-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #24

A few other things to consider while test driving / comparing the RVs ! Tire pressure, and air pressure in the Air Rite system ( Ford) will make a big difference!

As posted above the Ford went to the six speed in late 2016.

Hope you find something you like !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:49 PM   #25

Decision Made,,,

Well, after agonizing over this decision I decided to go with a 2017 Leprechaun 260DS Ford E450 Chassis.

For those following this thread I am a true GM lover and this went against every bone in my body but after doing the homework the Ford (as much as this hurts to say) came out on top. Part of my decision was based on the less then stellar towing capability of my 06 GM 6L I currently own. The V10 Ford with its Larger displacement, more torque, more weight capacity and finally, better resale though non of us purchase RV's thinking of selling them.

This specific coach was owned by a private owner and for the most part has all the options including full body paint, Auto Hydraulic Jacks, 15k AC, 4 door refrig, theater seating, in motion satellite, 3 TV's, Garage kept, full service records and is super clean, never smoked in or had pets. Still has factory warranty left. So I Purchased it for under NADA RV low retail so I feel it was a good deal.

The best price I could get on a new 2019 on a comparable new coach with even less options was 85k.

Thank you to all for expressing your opinions, facts and experiences. Sorry to let the GM fans down (including myself) and we shall see if I made a mistake. Best wishes all!
RoadNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:05 AM   #26

Congrats on the new rig. Sounds pretty much like you got the best setup for your situation. Enjoy!
Old 07-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadNomad View Post
Well, after agonizing over this decision I decided to go with a 2017 Leprechaun 260DS Ford E450 Chassis.

For those following this thread I am a true GM lover and this went against every bone in my body but after doing the homework the Ford (as much as this hurts to say) came out on top. Part of my decision was based on the less then stellar towing capability of my 06 GM 6L I currently own. The V10 Ford with its Larger displacement, more torque, more weight capacity and finally, better resale though non of us purchase RV's thinking of selling them.

This specific coach was owned by a private owner and for the most part has all the options including full body paint, Auto Hydraulic Jacks, 15k AC, 4 door refrig, theater seating, in motion satellite, 3 TV's, Garage kept, full service records and is super clean, never smoked in or had pets. Still has factory warranty left. So I Purchased it for under NADA RV low retail so I feel it was a good deal.

The best price I could get on a new 2019 on a comparable new coach with even less options was 85k.

Thank you to all for expressing your opinions, facts and experiences. Sorry to let the GM fans down (including myself) and we shall see if I made a mistake. Best wishes all!
Great Choice - Good Luck !!!
GO BLUE OVAL !!!
Old 07-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Good choice. There is a reason that the commercial, RV, Emergency Vehicle market has been dominated for decades by Ford.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeljag View Post
A few other things to consider while test driving / comparing the RVs ! Tire pressure, and air pressure in the Air Rite system ( Ford) will make a big difference!

As posted above the Ford went to the six speed in late 2016.

Hope you find something you like !
I did check with Ford and got the original build sheet for the Cutaway chassis. It is a 6 speed which I am very happy about. I would be curious about what tire pressures you are running and what you fill the air assist to. The Tires are Michelin and are in excellent condition, it makes a big difference when the unit has been stored indoors as this one has.
Thx
Old 07-23-2019, 09:26 PM   #30

Quote:
I have been looking at the Forest River/Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS. This unit comes in the Chevy and Ford version.

I have always been a GM person but after crawling around underneath the Chevy and then under the Ford it appears the Ford appears to be a heavier and strong chassis. Add to that the difference in the engines, V8 vs V10. It seems Ford has the edge over Chevy there as well. Considering I will be pulling around a 4k car I am thinking the V10 would be a better choice. Add to that Coachman advertises a 5K rated hitch on the Chevy vs a 7.5K hitch on the Ford. I have been told that really is not a true rating as this number is strickly what the hitch is rated for and a reflection of what the vehicle can really pull.

I have heard some say the Ford V10 is a fuel hog especially when teamed with the 5 speed automatic vs the Chevy V8 with 6 speed transmission.

Finally, cost, the Chevy unit equipped exactly the same as the Ford will save me about 10% in final Class C cost.

Opinions and experiences please!
I found this video interesting when we were shopping for the 260ds.

We ended up buying the 311fs and it wasn't available in the chevy chassis.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:59 PM   #31

nvs4602, I saw that video while doing my homework. And like I said I have always been a GM person but really question how valid that video is.
There are too many people I have talked with that have owned both and they say the Ford E450 is better then the Chevy 4500 when it comes to moving weight, towing and just all around durability.
Believe me when I say I really hoped the Chevy platform would have come out on top especially with all the GM speciality tools I own.
I may later regret my choice down the road and say I wished I bought the Chevy, time will tell. I did the best I could with the facts I had.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:04 PM   #32

I was in the same boat as you. Not a Ford fan, this F450 is the first Ford I ever drove. Never drove the Chevrolet 4500, but sat in one. Much more room to get past the dog house in the Chevrolet. In the end, I really wanted the extra towing capacity, went Ford F450, only put 1000 miles on it so far. Seams good, I got about 8mpg, not pulling anything, 70 to 75 mph. Speed limit was 80 mph much of the drive. Enjoy your rig.
Chicken Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:02 AM   #33

I have owned both and prefer the Chevrolet for cab comfort, handling, and about 1 mpg better gas mileage. It's also a lot quieter. I recently completed a 9 day trip with 10.2 overall gas mileage primarily around the Smoky Mountains, better than I've ever done on this 5 year old coach. When I tow the Jeep, I get about 1 mpg less. I drive 65 on Interstates and 55 - 60 on other highways.

But none of the longer Class C's (30+) are available on the Chevrolet chassis and that's because it is not the beast of towing that the V10 is. My GVWR IS 300lbs less than the same floorplan on the Ford chassis, but I still have 2700 CCC (Sunseeker 2500TS), so it's not a concern of mine.

In the end, I advise getting the floor plan you want and the engine it comes with will be more than adequate. I'd go right back to the Ford if I was looking for a longer Class C. My Chevrolet is 27'7" and feels really lively, not only because of the 6.0 V8, but also because of the fantastic 6-speed transmission.

Alternatively, you can wait until Ford starts putting the new 7.3 in motorhomes later this year, but might have to wait until next year to see one as manufacturers exhaust their current stock. I'm hoping the new engine addresses some of the shortcomings, minor as they are, of the current 6.8.
Goatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatdog View Post
... In the end, I advise getting the floor plan you want and the engine it comes with will be more than adequate. I'd go right back to the Ford if I was looking for a longer Class C. My Chevrolet is 27'7" and feels really lively, not only because of the 6.0 V8, but also because of the fantastic 6-speed transmission.

Alternatively, you can wait until Ford starts putting the new 7.3 in motorhomes later this year, but might have to wait until next year to see one as manufacturers exhaust their current stock. I'm hoping the new engine addresses some of the shortcomings, minor as they are, of the current 6.8.
Chevy is also coming out with a new 8 liter plus big block soon. That would without a doubt be the new king for motorhomes. The only downsides to these new engines are the first owners become the guinea pigs to sort out the problems. It is true Chevy has the edge when it comes to the 6 speed trans but at least Ford made their 6 speed available on their 2016 chassis and newer.

Trust me when I say if Ford had not fixed the broken stud and plug issues I would have gone to Chevy for sure. The 6.8 V10 was released in 1997 and really wasn't fully fixed until sometime in 2004. So you see the issue. Granted I would like to have the extra power but don't want to be the test facility for GM or Ford.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:04 PM   #35

Yes, I've had a 97 and a 2010, V10, in two previous Class C's. Spark plugs on the 97 (4 speed) shot out and ended it's life. Didn't stop me from getting the 10 (5 speed).

I realize a first year engine may be an issue but I'm willing to take that chance again for improved economy and HP/Torque.
Goatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:33 AM   #36

I've been driving my 2018 Chevy motor home for about a year and a half, (over 12,000 miles). Right now I'm half way through a 3,000 mile trip in Newfoundland. There are a lot of steep hills and grades up hear, and I am having no issues at all pulling my CRV up and down these hills. Even after downsizing from a cummins 400 ISL, I'm very happy with my choice.......Bruce
waco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:30 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by waco kid View Post
I've been driving my 2018 Chevy motor home for about a year and a half, (over 12,000 miles). Right now I'm half way through a 3,000 mile trip in Newfoundland. There are a lot of steep hills and grades up hear, and I am having no issues at all pulling my CRV up and down these hills. Even after downsizing from a cummins 400 ISL, I'm very happy with my choice.......Bruce
Waco kid, it all comes down to weight for me, your Honda CRV weighs approx 3300 lbs vs my wife's Buick Envision weighs 4000+, and if we use a dolly (which is leading in the choices right now) we will weigh in at an easy 4500 lbs.

That only 500 lbs under Chevy's max rating of 5K. For me that's a little to close for comfort. Add to that automotive manufactures generally rate the towing ability based on flat roads at sea level and moderate temperatures. All things change when your fully loaded and you start dragging your tow vehicle up and down the mountains at altitude (and we frequent Colorado), I wont even go into horsepower loss at 5000ft elevation. Torque, larger brakes are very important. As much as I hate to admit it, Ford has the edge here.

I too can relate to the power of the Diesel, my first coach, an Allegro Bus has a Cummins ISL, it could have dragged a building up a mountain at 70mph and never skipped a beat. My 2500HD had a Duramax and it was the same way. When it comes to gas though, its all about displacement and torque as it relates to weight.

Its great you have the perfect combination that works for you and as I mentioned earlier I did the homework and drove both platforms. The Chevy is smoother, shifts better, is quieter and roomier in the cab, plus its cheaper to buy and in overall fuel costs. If I wasn't going to tow anything it would have been my first choice.
Time on the road will be the final test, we shall see, enjoy your ride! Cheers.

Albert Einstein
Old 07-25-2019, 07:20 PM   #38

2006 Sunseeker 2860DS with Ford Super Duty v10 5 speed automatic overdrive with Tow/Haul Mode. The secret IMHO in driving this vehicle is to use cruise control judiciously. Flat or small grades no issues in Tow/Haul Mode, the transmission will hold onto 5th gear, or lower, for much longer, thereby greatly reducing or eliminating with practice noisy and mostly unnecessary down shifting. I set my c.c at the speed limit, say 70, and when I see a grade coming up press slowly on the gas pedal to gain another 1-2 mph and take the grade. The transmission will not downshift and there is no objectionable cabin noise, just the purring of your V10.
Now, there are times, mountains, very steep grades, you should not use the c.c for uphill driving. And, if your momentum is lost due to traffic your only choice is to do your best to recover your speed.
I was once a GM guy but the Ford powertrain has made me a believer especially the Super Duty components.
ChrisParise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:04 PM   #39

jacksharp1959...we have a 2018 Freelander 21RS 6.0L V-8 Chevy 4500 24.9'. Just turned 13,500+ in mileage. We normally get 9.0-9.5 MPG, sometimes a little better. This motor performs: plenty of power when you pass the trucks going up hills. What I really like is to just let it go at 65-70 and let the motor work with the transmission. I guess if I would stick to 65-68 might get 10 MPG; but happy with the 9 overall. Actually got 13 MPG once on a tank of gas. Safe travels...the peddler
thepeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:55 PM   #40

Speaking of gas mileage. It's tied to the length and weight of your vehicle and a myriad of other factors. My 2006 Sunseeker 2860DS super duty v10 5 speed automatic overdrive with tow/haul is 30'6" and weighs almost 7 tons. I consistently get 6.8 mpg but have gotten up to 8. But, who really cares? My objective is to have fun and enjoy what Rving is all about
ChrisParise is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, ford