Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #1

Ford V10 oil change.

So, how many miles is good for your first oil change.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #2

oil

I was told 5000 miles to first change..Then I plan on synthetic..Also will use synthetic on generator at 50 hours.

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

I change my first oil change of any motor vehicle within 2000-3000 miles. Time to get rid of the chunky stuff. Maybe even a second time before 5000, then every 5000.

In the overall scheme of things oil is cheap, motor damage can be like a mortgage.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:15 AM   #4
Bob & Donna

Since we no longer full time, we only put about 4,000 miles a year on our MH. I change it once a year, just before we begin our travels for the year. I use synthetic oil and a filter change along with a grease job. Check your air filter too to see if it needs cleaning or changing.
BobandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandDonna View Post
Since we no longer full time, we only put about 4,000 miles a year on our MH. I change it once a year, just before we begin our travels for the year. I use synthetic oil and a filter change along with a grease job. Check your air filter too to see if it needs cleaning or changing.

My personal opinion is (and it's what I do with, not only my cars, pickup truck and farm tractors is....

I change the oil prior to winter layup and the filters too... Here's why..

The used oil sitting in the pan and in the oil passages is contaminated with blowby and combustion by products (why it gets dark). All that stuff is in suspension in the lube oil and in contact with your bearings and all other lubricated components so why not change it and let fresh, clean oil be in contact with those parts???

I also do an oil analysis with Blackstone Labs every year when I layup my farm tractors. Good to know if I'm going to have any down the road issues internally and an oil analysis will warn you of that event.

Just the way I do it and it's not a requirement, just personal observation...
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:21 AM   #6

First oil change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I change my first oil change of any motor vehicle within 2000-3000 miles. Time to get rid of the chunky stuff. Maybe even a second time before 5000, then every 5000.

In the overall scheme of things oil is cheap, motor damage can be like a mortgage.
That is what I was thinking. 2000 for the first one to get the breakin oil out of there then do my regular intervals with Mobile One. We are doing our last trip of the year next week into the UP and will be adding about 800 miles. There is roughly 1550 miles on it now so I was debating on whether to do it before or after. Either way I also want to have it ready to go for next year. Our first trip will be late Feb. to Alabama and Florida. Like you said "oil is cheap" so I think I will do it today.
Mahalo
Old 10-07-2016, 07:39 AM   #7

I'm adverse to changing the initial factory fill before 5K miles and here's why...

The initial fill needs to be in there long enough for all the moving components to seat themselves properly and be in 'harmony' (for lack of a better term) with other components and that 'wearing in' creates microscopic metal particles that help other components wear in... Leaving the initial oil fill in the sump for the recommended (by the OEM) interval, is just a good idea, after all, the OEM had highly paid engineers that know a helluva lot more about internal lubrication of a powerplant than you do and probably more than aftermarket oil barons do too......
Old 10-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #8
Bob & Donna

Sidecarflip, unless you are constantly using your MH during the season, what's the difference if it sits for two months after the first use of the season and the second use? You might have a point about changing it at the end of the season, not sure. I put a large magnetic on the filter to capture any metal particles floating in the oil. I always change the filter with the oil.
BobandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:14 AM   #9

oil change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I'm adverse to changing the initial factory fill before 5K miles and here's why...

The initial fill needs to be in there long enough for all the moving components to seat themselves properly and be in 'harmony' (for lack of a better term) with other components and that 'wearing in' creates microscopic metal particles that help other components wear in... Leaving the initial oil fill in the sump for the recommended (by the OEM) interval, is just a good idea, after all, the OEM had highly paid engineers that know a helluva lot more about internal lubrication of a powerplant than you do and probably more than aftermarket oil barons do too......
That was one of my concerns. Has the "breakin oil" been in there long enough for the valves and rings to seat properly before changing to a syn oil.
The generator manual says to have at least 5 hours running with load before changing to syn. oil.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:22 AM   #10

I made that mistake one time and I've been paying for it since...

I have a Generac 17KW standby genset for backup power for the house and Generac recommended running the factory fill for at least 50 hours run time before changing to synthetic oil.

I didn't. I thought I'd change it at 10 hours, which I did and it has consumed oil ever since. I didn't allow enough time for the rings to seat properly.

Now, I'm stuck with an oil burner....

The engine builders know better than you do. The engineers don't make big bucks for nothing.

Run the initial oil for the OEM recommended change interval, I didn't and now I'm paying the price....
Old 10-07-2016, 09:21 AM   #11

oil change.

Quote:
I made that mistake one time and I've been paying for it since...

I have a Generac 17KW standby genset for backup power for the house and Generac recommended running the factory fill for at least 50 hours run time before changing to synthetic oil.

I didn't. I thought I'd change it at 10 hours, which I did and it has consumed oil ever since. I didn't allow enough time for the rings to seat properly.

Now, I'm stuck with an oil burner....

The engine builders know better than you do. The engineers don't make big bucks for nothing.

Run the initial oil for the OEM recommended change interval, I didn't and now I'm paying the price....
Do you think you could switch back to a convntional or a blend to finish the breakin?
I will double check my gen. manual to make sure it says 5 hours.
For the V-10 I will finish the season with about 2500 miles on it and might change to a blend before putting it up for the winter and so it is ready to go to Florida in Feb.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:01 AM   #12

I might be able to, never considered that option. The issue with a synthetic oil is it's 'more slippery' for lack of a better term than conventional lubricants, so, instead of my rings seating in and developing the proper wear pattern, I changed out the oil too soon and didn't allow that to happen..

I bought a new inverter genny for the camper and ran the factory oil in the driveway for 10 hours (recommended run time) and then changed it.

I learned the hard way...

My wife and I will tag along to Florida in Feb if you want some company...lol

My wife has been hinting at buying a condo there. Her son lives in there. Don't know if he 'survived' the storm ok yet. He's on the ocean side.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #13

oil change.

Quote:
I might be able to, never considered that option. The issue with a synthetic oil is it's 'more slippery' for lack of a better term than conventional lubricants, so, instead of my rings seating in and developing the proper wear pattern, I changed out the oil too soon and didn't allow that to happen..

I bought a new inverter genny for the camper and ran the factory oil in the driveway for 10 hours (recommended run time) and then changed it.

I learned the hard way...

My wife and I will tag along to Florida in Feb if you want some company...lol

My wife has been hinting at buying a condo there. Her son lives in there. Don't know if he 'survived' the storm ok yet. He's on the ocean side.
Your gen set will probably eventually breakin but it will take much much longer if you use syn. oil.
You are welcome to tag along. We are starting out from here and going to Mobile for a 5 night cruise. By the time we get back to Mobile and continue into Florida the Tigers will be playing in Lakeland where we will catch a couple games, and some rays before heading back home to mid Michigan.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #14

In as much as you live close and our wives are of like mind we could possibly get together and buy a condo and get some use out of it.

Her son is there too.

She's been talking about it for a while now. I know we get tired of Michigan winters. especially after January. I hunt until then.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:01 PM   #15

Thanks for that but we put most of eggs in the MH basket so we can do a little more land cruising and a little less sea cruising. I agree with the Michigan winters and the trip in Feburary every year is my cure for the cabin fever. So much of this country we want to see. Right now, the grandkids are keeping us grounded although we did manage to do a two week cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii a couple weeks ago.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:11 PM   #16

By the way, prayers for the relatives in Florida and good luck with the hunt.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #17

We have put about 20K miles on our 2015 Encounter 18 the last 18 months I change oil and filter and lubricate the chassis every 5-6K miles with Ford recommended viscosity synthetic oil. I changed the factory supplied oil at 5k miles. This seems to be a good schedule for me. It is also the same schedule I use for all my other vehicles. I have been on this maintenance schedule for many years and have had no problems with any of my vehicles.
capbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #18

Just turned 10K on the V-10 Ford, I use the oil that Ford recommends, I do it once a year before the Summer heat kicks in. Same with the Generator, once a year, but I only put a few hours on the generator a year. Oil and filters are cheap, cheap, cheap compared to the alternative.

Tags
ford