Old 10-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #1

Ford V10 oil change.

So, how many miles is good for your first oil change.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #2

oil

I was told 5000 miles to first change..Then I plan on synthetic..Also will use synthetic on generator at 50 hours.

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:13 PM   #3

I change my first oil change of any motor vehicle within 2000-3000 miles. Time to get rid of the chunky stuff. Maybe even a second time before 5000, then every 5000.

In the overall scheme of things oil is cheap, motor damage can be like a mortgage.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:15 AM   #4
Bob & Donna

Since we no longer full time, we only put about 4,000 miles a year on our MH. I change it once a year, just before we begin our travels for the year. I use synthetic oil and a filter change along with a grease job. Check your air filter too to see if it needs cleaning or changing.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:17 AM   #5
Lost in time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandDonna View Post
Since we no longer full time, we only put about 4,000 miles a year on our MH. I change it once a year, just before we begin our travels for the year. I use synthetic oil and a filter change along with a grease job. Check your air filter too to see if it needs cleaning or changing.

My personal opinion is (and it's what I do with, not only my cars, pickup truck and farm tractors is....

I change the oil prior to winter layup and the filters too... Here's why..

The used oil sitting in the pan and in the oil passages is contaminated with blowby and combustion by products (why it gets dark). All that stuff is in suspension in the lube oil and in contact with your bearings and all other lubricated components so why not change it and let fresh, clean oil be in contact with those parts???

I also do an oil analysis with Blackstone Labs every year when I layup my farm tractors. Good to know if I'm going to have any down the road issues internally and an oil analysis will warn you of that event.

Just the way I do it and it's not a requirement, just personal observation...
Old 10-07-2016, 08:21 AM   #6

First oil change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I change my first oil change of any motor vehicle within 2000-3000 miles. Time to get rid of the chunky stuff. Maybe even a second time before 5000, then every 5000.

In the overall scheme of things oil is cheap, motor damage can be like a mortgage.
That is what I was thinking. 2000 for the first one to get the breakin oil out of there then do my regular intervals with Mobile One. We are doing our last trip of the year next week into the UP and will be adding about 800 miles. There is roughly 1550 miles on it now so I was debating on whether to do it before or after. Either way I also want to have it ready to go for next year. Our first trip will be late Feb. to Alabama and Florida. Like you said "oil is cheap" so I think I will do it today.
Mahalo
Old 10-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #7
Lost in time

I'm adverse to changing the initial factory fill before 5K miles and here's why...

The initial fill needs to be in there long enough for all the moving components to seat themselves properly and be in 'harmony' (for lack of a better term) with other components and that 'wearing in' creates microscopic metal particles that help other components wear in... Leaving the initial oil fill in the sump for the recommended (by the OEM) interval, is just a good idea, after all, the OEM had highly paid engineers that know a helluva lot more about internal lubrication of a powerplant than you do and probably more than aftermarket oil barons do too......
Old 10-07-2016, 08:57 AM   #8
Bob & Donna

Sidecarflip, unless you are constantly using your MH during the season, what's the difference if it sits for two months after the first use of the season and the second use? You might have a point about changing it at the end of the season, not sure. I put a large magnetic on the filter to capture any metal particles floating in the oil. I always change the filter with the oil.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #9

oil change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I'm adverse to changing the initial factory fill before 5K miles and here's why...

The initial fill needs to be in there long enough for all the moving components to seat themselves properly and be in 'harmony' (for lack of a better term) with other components and that 'wearing in' creates microscopic metal particles that help other components wear in... Leaving the initial oil fill in the sump for the recommended (by the OEM) interval, is just a good idea, after all, the OEM had highly paid engineers that know a helluva lot more about internal lubrication of a powerplant than you do and probably more than aftermarket oil barons do too......
That was one of my concerns. Has the "breakin oil" been in there long enough for the valves and rings to seat properly before changing to a syn oil.
The generator manual says to have at least 5 hours running with load before changing to syn. oil.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #10
Lost in time

I made that mistake one time and I've been paying for it since...

I have a Generac 17KW standby genset for backup power for the house and Generac recommended running the factory fill for at least 50 hours run time before changing to synthetic oil.

I didn't. I thought I'd change it at 10 hours, which I did and it has consumed oil ever since. I didn't allow enough time for the rings to seat properly.

Now, I'm stuck with an oil burner....

The engine builders know better than you do. The engineers don't make big bucks for nothing.

Run the initial oil for the OEM recommended change interval, I didn't and now I'm paying the price....

Tags
ford