Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #1

Freedom Express 229TBS?

My wife and I are looking at trading our 21SS hybrid for a small bunkhouse. We think we have it narrowed down to the Freedom Express 229TBS. It offers the small size similar to our 21SS able to get into smaller camp sites.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit? They seem to be pretty sparse in availability but seem to align with our needs. The frameless windows add a modern touch.

Any feedback would be welcome!
Old 02-14-2016, 06:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymhi View Post
My wife and I are looking at trading our 21SS hybrid for a small bunkhouse. We think we have it narrowed down to the Freedom Express 229TBS. It offers the small size similar to our 21SS able to get into smaller camp sites.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit? They seem to be pretty sparse in availability but seem to align with our needs. The frameless windows add a modern touch.

Any feedback would be welcome!
We actually just looked at a 229TBS last month, but there were a couple things that annoyed us. 1) There is ducted A/C and ducted heat, but we couldn't find any ducts in the bunk area in the back for all 3 bunks! 2) The front door of the unit is right next to the queen bed. To go through the front door, you have to maneuver your way around the bed to get into the unit. This is probably because they decided to use a full 60x80 Queen instead of a camper queen.

We decided to go with the 257BHS instead, as we didn't need a 3rd bunk, the two bunks have full size beds (with the corners taken out), and the master bedroom had some pocket doors to give us some privacy. We didn't need the 2nd entrance door, and there were vents in the bunk area.
Bangback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:57 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback. We debated on the 257BH as well. We just sold our 21SS hybrid and I would like to keep to a shorter camper due to the places we hunt in the fall/winter. We thought the bedroom wall in the 257BH actually made the unit feel smaller than the open floorplan of the 229.

I did not notice the lack of ducts for the bunks but after coming from a canvas camper, all enclosed hard sides is a big improvement.

Any other advantages to the 257BH that you've noticed?

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2016, 10:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymhi View Post
Thanks for the feedback. We debated on the 257BH as well. We just sold our 21SS hybrid and I would like to keep to a shorter camper due to the places we hunt in the fall/winter. We thought the bedroom wall in the 257BH actually made the unit feel smaller than the open floorplan of the 229.

I did not notice the lack of ducts for the bunks but after coming from a canvas camper, all enclosed hard sides is a big improvement.

Any other advantages to the 257BH that you've noticed?

Thanks!
The 257BHS has a 20' awning that goes from all the way in the back past the outdoor kitchen to all the way in the front just before it curves down. The outdoor kitchen has a sink and dorm room style fridge with space for a countertop style grill (grill also included, but it is just a simple portable Coleman grill). I think most everything else is the same. The both have ducts for heating and cooling, and have an enclosed underbelly. The 229TBS has 2 doors and the 257BHS only has one. There is also a propane quick connection underneath the rig on both models that you could hook up an outdoor grill to as well.

Another thing we didn't like about the bunks in the 229TBS was that they were way in the back and were a little bit isolated from the rest of the coach. That could be good for privacy, but it could also be bad. On the 257BHS, the kids can see the dinette and TV from their bunks.

I didn't see any ducts in the 229TBS bunks on the ceiling or on the walls. Maybe there were vents closer towards the kitchen pointing back there? I didn't see any off hand though, but it could be possible.

I think the 229TBS is also slightly cheaper in price.

The TV on the 257BHS rotates so it can face the kitchen or face the master bedroom. We liked the idea of a little private area just for us away from the kids with pocket doors, but the doors can also stay open. I like how they placed mirrors on the bedroom cabinet doors to give the illusion of more space. The later 2016 models have directional LED reading lights right above the queen bed that can be either white or blue for reading mode. The mattresses on the bunks also feel nicer compared to an earlier 2016 model we looked at.

I would check out both in person and see what you like!
Bangback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:04 PM   #5

We love our new 229tbs

We love that both doors are covered by the awning and that the awning is long. We love the bunk on the floor. It is the dogs' bunk, all 3! We love the true queen bed. All the cabinets over the bed are EASY access. I'm too old to pretzel around looking for clothes. Plus' and minus' with all units but for us this was the best unit. Just got it amonth ago and have had it out once but overall very We're loving it.
Marysland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freedom express