Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #21

My problem did not occur until the furniture was about 3.5 to 4 years old.
When Forest River offered to "help" I was told the replacement material has a much higher hydrolysis rating and comes from a different manufacture so the material should last much longer.
I don't know when they changed over to a different manufacturer
Summerwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #22

Ok thanks for letting us know!
michelledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #23

As long as they use Williamsburg furniture, we are in trouble as far as I am concern.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:56 AM   #24

I advised Coachmen of the following after their offer

After the email string that has taken place between Brandon and myself and your offer to "help", I find there are too many variables when looking at the settlements that are discussed in the online forums concerning the failure of the vinyl material. The offer presented to me is unacceptable.

Brandon quotes a cost of $840 for the replacement material. He can not confirm this includes all required pieces needed to repair the furniture because he does not have a parts book for the furniture.

He says I would pay shipping but does not offer a quote.

He states it will take six weeks to get the material.

As quoted from the forums, "it depends who answers the phone and what unit you have as to whether there will be any help in fixing the problem".

Based on existing information and the history of this dismal material that was used by Williamsburg Furniture and approved by Coachmen or Forest River or whatever division, this is a manufacturers defect.

History is showing the coach manufacturers are stepping up to the plate and acknowledging the fault and repairing the furniture. Many of these repairs are done outside of the manufacturers warranty period. Again there are instances where the manufacturers are also doing nothing.

There are simply too many inconsistencies when looking how Forest River and Williamsburg Furniture are addressing this problem.

Therefore I have decided to address this issue in the courts and will be suing for a settlement concerning the defective material used in the production of the furniture in my motorhome.

Coachmen immediately replied, "Having reviewed the information you sent, we must respectfully decline your request for coverage of the flaking upholstery."

I will be proceeding with a class action lawsuit against Forest River Inc.
Are there any interested parties who wish to join this lawsuit?
Summerwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:21 PM   #25

Wow this is quite disturbing considering the cost of these motorhomes. We will be keeping a close eye on this. Thanks for the post.
michelledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:21 PM   #26

X2
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #27

Same problem for my 2014 Mirada 35BH. Started flaking last year and getting real bad. Coachmen said out of warranty but will offer discount on replacement material. I have not received price quote.
johndewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:42 PM   #28

I just ordered replacement covers for my 2014 Sportscoach. Brandon was a great help. 4 - 6 wks lead time. Complete Dinette, Sofa and both driver and passenger seats totaled $700. I'm the second owner so getting the coverings at cost was nice. I own a furniture store and deal with bonded leathers all the time. We have moved away from it because of this issue. There are various grades of bonded. Hopefully this new material is a higher grade. Will al least give me time to save for a complete replacement with leather in the future.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:02 PM   #29

Are replacing the covers with the same material ones? If so, what makes you think you will get different results?
Old 11-01-2017, 09:19 PM   #30

There is some decent bonded leather materials out there. FR has said they have upgraded to a much better quality bonded product. I'll know when the covers arrive.

Currently it is the least expensive route compared to having replacement top grain leather covers made. Plus the replacement covers should match the window treatments as well.

I'm sure that once the plan to replace the coverings of the furniture with something other than the original, the wife will insist on doing a whole interior upgrade so all components match.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:25 PM   #31

Wish you well. You won't know for sure until a couple years from now. That's when mine start flaking.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:25 PM   #32

We are having the same problem. Been in contact with Forest River. They have told us that since our coach is out of warranty, they cannot help us. BUT...as a Goodwill gesture, they are willing to send us the material to replace the peeling upholstery. The color, she said will not be a exact match. The color is nowhere near the color we have on everything from the seats to the captains chairs, sofa and dinette. It'll look like a mismatched interior! This is unacceptable! Don't know what we are going to do just yet.
bus1852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:34 PM   #33

It is a shame. Mine went wrong in two and a half years, and they wanted to sell me replacement covers. I traded it.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #34

Trading in is not an option. We can’t get what we owe due to depreciating. Guess it’s towels, sheets and blankets to cover the peeling/flaking!

2013 Coachmen Sportscoach Cross Country
1500 Dodge Ram with a golf cart in the bed
Just started traveling full time and retired
bus1852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #35

You may want to covers sold by other companies to avoid the same problem.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #36

So where did you get covers? I have a 2014 Prime Time Crusader and both the sofa and the theater seating is peeling. I had the back of one of the theater seats recovered at my expense thinking it as only a problem with that but now it is all peeling plus the theater seat that I use is broken - the support spring - so it tilts to the right now. I weigh 210 and am 6ft 2in so I do not think that should stress a recliner. This RV has been one thing after another - front cap fading, replaced all the tires, replaced all the faucets in kitchen and bath/shower, replaced the fireplace when it burned out, fixed water leaks in the kitchen several times, replace the awning motor when it quit with the awning extended, replaced the outside light and found out it had the wrong bulb in it all along and could have melted the cover if I had left it on for an extended period, all the dicor has been replaced due to cracking, had to add a second A/C to cool it during summer sun, recalled due to an axle issue, had to reattach lots of trim due to the glue not holding as well as the curtain anchors which came loose due to crappy screws, reattach a shelf that was never attached on one side in the pantry, replaced the water pump due to the check valve failing and over filling the fresh water tank while we slept at our last stop,
After all of this, we still like the unit, keep it waxed and Aero 303ed and are enjoying our times in it. But gee guys, we bought for fun not for me to have something to do and spend $$$$ on every month. Pretty soon this $43K RV will be up over $60K
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:36 AM   #37
Bob & Donna

Happening again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandDonna View Post
We had the same problem and fortunately it occurred during our warranty period, so we experienced a lot less hassle in getting both seats, sofa, and dinette replaced. It was a manufacturing mistake of using inferior material. FR should stand behind their product. Good luck because I know this has been a big issue for them.
I made this quote back in January 2017. Less then 2 years later the furniture is peeling again. The replacement material was just the same old crap as the original.

I am interested if anyone has made any progress in getting this issue resolved with Forest River.
BobandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:12 PM   #38
Handyman

I have a 2016 Salem Cruise Lite bought in February 2016. 2 chairs and sofa flaking too bad to sit in. You get that crap all over your cloths.
tfmdgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #39

It only gets worse. Sorry!
Old 05-28-2018, 06:06 AM   #40
Handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwisconsin View Post
It only gets worse. Sorry!
Do you mean the furniture or the whole trailer?
tfmdgm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover