Old 08-05-2016, 08:03 PM   #11

Not gasoline, which is messy to get in, Spray some starting fluid in the air filter to see if it starts.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:52 PM   #12

[QUOTE=mort;1279611]Spray carb cleaner does miracles.
I have taken my carbs apart and cleaned them out on all my stuff successfully also.
My contribution to the conversation is I had all these problems go away when I switched to pure 100% gasoline without alcohol and use marine blue sta-bil.
For the last 5 years I have no trouble and don't wear the heck out of my Genie just to clean out the carb and innards by starting it all the time.
Mort[/QUOTE

Maybe that explains my relative good luck with the Gen. We usually fill it for THE HIGH PRICED BRAND. Premium Octane and Brand Name like Chevron or Shell. Gonna Check out Blue StaBil Thought the one I had last was Pink or Red. Thanks makes you think to hear what other folks do.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #13

Stabil

Stabil makes additives that counteract the damage that ethanol can do. Regular Stabil keeps the gas from gumming up. Also, if gas sits too long in wet climates, you can get water in the gas. If it starts when you spray starting fluid in the carb, then it is a gas problem or carb problem.

I use Stabil (red) in my boat. I go from August to June without starting it, and I don't even test start it, I just go to the lake and it starts like I used it yesterday. Of course it is Fuel Injected. I only add Stabil on the last tank of gas in the boat. I use it for my lawn mower, leaf blower, chipper, chainsaws, etc. Once gas is gummed up in the carburator, you will probably have to remove it and clean it.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:17 PM   #14

Seafoam should clean things up. I've used it for years on all big and small engines.

https://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-motor-treatment/
Old 08-20-2016, 07:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by darqman View Post
I start the generator on my 2014 Coachmen Leprechaun every trip regardless of whether it's used or not. The last time it was started was in May and it ran for probably 10 minutes. A couple weeks ago, I took it out for the weekend and it absolutely won't not start. I got it to start a couple times but it just sputtered for a few seconds and died. It acts like it's not getting fuel. The status light flashes 3 times which apparently means get "service". I checked the oil and it was fine. I can't believe this practically brand new motorhome is already having generator problems. Any suggestions on things to try? Thanks.
I use to have a lot of troubles with generators !
always use stabil in your gas and start it every month and let run a hour ,words of wisedom from my generator man !
Old 08-20-2016, 10:41 PM   #16

Red bottle of "Heat", Sea Foam, and always run Premium No Ethanol gas will take care of most fuel problems.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #17

I just wanted to follow up and say thanks for all the suggestions. I was camping this weekend and a buddy who works maintenance for the railroad was out there with us. I was telling him about my generator problems and he fixed it in 5 minutes. There's a screw that drains the bad gas and then he used a little starting fluid and it started right up. I let it run for about 2 hours with AC running but it still surges. I think I need to start buying 100% gas and adding sta-bil from now on. I wonder if doing that and continuing to run it on a regular basis will eventually clean it out?
Old 09-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #18

Always exercise the generator, with~ 1/2 load, for at least an hour each month.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #19

Referring to buying 100% gas (no ethanol), I wouldn't pay the difference to fuel the motorhome to possibly reduce problems with the generator. Just run it often, add Stabil or another stabilizer and drive it to mix the stabilizer and run the generator and drain the carburetor before you park it for a while. That's what I do and it has been fine for the 5 years we've owned our Sunseeker.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #20
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darqman View Post
I just wanted to follow up and say thanks for all the suggestions. I was camping this weekend and a buddy who works maintenance for the railroad was out there with us. I was telling him about my generator problems and he fixed it in 5 minutes. There's a screw that drains the bad gas and then he used a little starting fluid and it started right up. I let it run for about 2 hours with AC running but it still surges. I think I need to start buying 100% gas and adding sta-bil from now on. I wonder if doing that and continuing to run it on a regular basis will eventually clean it out?
Add some Seafoam, it will help clean things out and should make it run smoother. If after a tank of fresh, clean gas and the SeaFoam treatment you are still having it surge, you will need to look at the carb adjustments, or possibly a rebuild.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator