Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2016, 11:24 PM   #1

Generator problems, need help.

I start the generator on my 2014 Coachmen Leprechaun every trip regardless of whether it's used or not. The last time it was started was in May and it ran for probably 10 minutes. A couple weeks ago, I took it out for the weekend and it absolutely won't not start. I got it to start a couple times but it just sputtered for a few seconds and died. It acts like it's not getting fuel. The status light flashes 3 times which apparently means get "service". I checked the oil and it was fine. I can't believe this practically brand new motorhome is already having generator problems. Any suggestions on things to try? Thanks.
darqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:37 PM   #2

Old gas? Needs to be run for several hours under load at least every 6 weeks. Check the level of the gas in the tank. Gas level should be at least 1/4 full to run.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
Old gas? Needs to be run for several hours under load at least every 6 weeks. Check the level of the gas in the tank. Gas level should be at least 1/4 full to run.

Jack
Yeah, I thought maybe gas level too but I attempted with 3/4 tank and still no go. I've only run it once for several hours under a load while on the road once. If I can get it started again I'll be more diligent about doing that.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by darqman View Post
I start the generator on my 2014 Coachmen Leprechaun every trip regardless of whether it's used or not. The last time it was started was in May and it ran for probably 10 minutes. A couple weeks ago, I took it out for the weekend and it absolutely won't not start. I got it to start a couple times but it just sputtered for a few seconds and died. It acts like it's not getting fuel. The status light flashes 3 times which apparently means get "service". I checked the oil and it was fine. I can't believe this practically brand new motorhome is already having generator problems. Any suggestions on things to try? Thanks.
Per the Handbook....

Exercising Your Generator
It may seem surprising that “not” using a machine could cause performance
problems, but with RV generators that’s exactly the case. Regular “exercise” is
an important part of keeping your generator healthy. Lack of exercise can cause
moisture build-up and fuel system degradation that make it run poorly. In fact,
in as little as 30 days, the fuel in gasoline-powered generators can begin to gum
and varnish the fuel system. Fuel varnishing results in hard starting and surging. (A
surging generator never settles at a stable operating speed.)
To prevent such problems, it is recommended to run gasoline generators at a
minimum of 50 percent capacity (2000-watts, or one air conditioner for a 4000-watt
set) for two hours once every four weeks. This is necessary to help keep moving
parts lubricated, expel moisture and control fuel varnishing in the carburetor. A long
two-hour exercise period is preferable to several short periods. While traveling, this
can be accomplished by running the air conditioning.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #5

Make sure they have not pinched the line coming from the tank to the generator, mine had the same problem took it into O/Cummings, ran their test and told me it was after the generator. Got under the Coach and found where the line was pulled over the frame and attached it had pinched the line enough to stop the flow from the Generator except for minimal fuel to start. We undid the line and gave it some play and attached it again and she started right up with no problem. 2015 28DS Coachman
kubshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubshack View Post
Make sure they have not pinched the line coming from the tank to the generator, mine had the same problem took it into O/Cummings, ran their test and told me it was after the generator. Got under the Coach and found where the line was pulled over the frame and attached it had pinched the line enough to stop the flow from the Generator except for minimal fuel to start. We undid the line and gave it some play and attached it again and she started right up with no problem. 2015 28DS Coachman
If it come down to the carburetor they will tell you it is not serviceable. Then tell you $500 or more to replace. That's bull. A few hand tools including needle nose and 11/16 box and end wrenches and you can get the float bowl apart. Careful of small pieces and or springs. Compressed air, carb cleaner and some work can do wonders. One of my projects. Turned out no line filter on line from tank and all sorts of junk clogging the float bowl
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #7

I put a few drops of gas directly in the carburetor and the generator started tight up. After that, I ran it more often. Still starts fine, just needed a little boost.
tjmezzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #8

Carb cleaner

Spray carb cleaner does miracles.
I have taken my carbs apart and cleaned them out on all my stuff successfully also.
My contribution to the conversation is I had all these problems go away when I switched to pure 100% gasoline without alcohol and use marine blue sta-bil.
For the last 5 years I have no trouble and don't wear the heck out of my Genie just to clean out the carb and innards by starting it all the time.
Mort
mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
...Turned out no line filter on line from tank and all sorts of junk clogging the float bowl
That is discouraging. Guess I will have to check mine to see if I need to add a filter.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Try starting it from the panel on the generator. Hold the prime button until the fuel line doesn't shake. It may take several minutes. You may have a lot of air in the line and just not getting past it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:03 PM   #11

Not gasoline, which is messy to get in, Spray some starting fluid in the air filter to see if it starts.
Hugh R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:52 PM   #12

[QUOTE=mort;1279611]Spray carb cleaner does miracles.
I have taken my carbs apart and cleaned them out on all my stuff successfully also.
My contribution to the conversation is I had all these problems go away when I switched to pure 100% gasoline without alcohol and use marine blue sta-bil.
For the last 5 years I have no trouble and don't wear the heck out of my Genie just to clean out the carb and innards by starting it all the time.
Mort[/QUOTE

Maybe that explains my relative good luck with the Gen. We usually fill it for THE HIGH PRICED BRAND. Premium Octane and Brand Name like Chevron or Shell. Gonna Check out Blue StaBil Thought the one I had last was Pink or Red. Thanks makes you think to hear what other folks do.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #13

Stabil

Stabil makes additives that counteract the damage that ethanol can do. Regular Stabil keeps the gas from gumming up. Also, if gas sits too long in wet climates, you can get water in the gas. If it starts when you spray starting fluid in the carb, then it is a gas problem or carb problem.

I use Stabil (red) in my boat. I go from August to June without starting it, and I don't even test start it, I just go to the lake and it starts like I used it yesterday. Of course it is Fuel Injected. I only add Stabil on the last tank of gas in the boat. I use it for my lawn mower, leaf blower, chipper, chainsaws, etc. Once gas is gummed up in the carburator, you will probably have to remove it and clean it.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:17 PM   #14

Seafoam should clean things up. I've used it for years on all big and small engines.

https://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-motor-treatment/
Schwartzworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:26 PM   #15

Quote:
I use to have a lot of troubles with generators !
always use stabil in your gas and start it every month and let run a hour ,words of wisedom from my generator man !
jeffowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:41 PM   #16

Red bottle of "Heat", Sea Foam, and always run Premium No Ethanol gas will take care of most fuel problems.
Motofixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #17

I just wanted to follow up and say thanks for all the suggestions. I was camping this weekend and a buddy who works maintenance for the railroad was out there with us. I was telling him about my generator problems and he fixed it in 5 minutes. There's a screw that drains the bad gas and then he used a little starting fluid and it started right up. I let it run for about 2 hours with AC running but it still surges. I think I need to start buying 100% gas and adding sta-bil from now on. I wonder if doing that and continuing to run it on a regular basis will eventually clean it out?
Old 09-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #18

Always exercise the generator, with~ 1/2 load, for at least an hour each month.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #19

Referring to buying 100% gas (no ethanol), I wouldn't pay the difference to fuel the motorhome to possibly reduce problems with the generator. Just run it often, add Stabil or another stabilizer and drive it to mix the stabilizer and run the generator and drain the carburetor before you park it for a while. That's what I do and it has been fine for the 5 years we've owned our Sunseeker.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #20
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
I just wanted to follow up and say thanks for all the suggestions. I was camping this weekend and a buddy who works maintenance for the railroad was out there with us. I was telling him about my generator problems and he fixed it in 5 minutes. There's a screw that drains the bad gas and then he used a little starting fluid and it started right up. I let it run for about 2 hours with AC running but it still surges. I think I need to start buying 100% gas and adding sta-bil from now on. I wonder if doing that and continuing to run it on a regular basis will eventually clean it out?
Add some Seafoam, it will help clean things out and should make it run smoother. If after a tank of fresh, clean gas and the SeaFoam treatment you are still having it surge, you will need to look at the carb adjustments, or possibly a rebuild.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator