Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #1

Gettysburg: Three things if you plan to go

Just returned from a trip to Harrisburg where DW had a meeting followed by a few days of "holiday" that we tacked on.

Gettysburg:

Finding a site.

Is there a level camp site in all of Pennsylvania? I doubt it. A good site was one that was not so off level that I couldn't get the coach level with the jacks. Out of three that accounts for only 1. LOL What a headache it can be moving the coach around, up, down, left and right and everything in-between trying to find a place on the site that is at least close enough to use your jacks without lifting your wheels off the ground.

Maneuvering in town.

38 feet of coach + 4 feet of hitch + 15 feet of Wrangler 4 dr = 57 feet of metal, rubber, and plastic to wheel around in a small town on tight streets with thick traffic, and half the tourists on the East Coast. A nightmare for me. But.... I did okay. I sweat bullets waiting for a green light thinking that when I started a turn I was going to become blocked and tie up traffic all over town. What I discovered was going into a tight right hand (90 degree) turn, traffic would stop so that I could turn wide (way left of center) to get the coach over far enough to keep the jeep in the street and off the sidewalk. Opposing traffic will stop and wait, either because the coach is much bigger or out of understanding that I have no choice but to use some of their lane. Anyway it worked and no mishaps.

Thank you any readers who happened to find a big tan coach in your windshield while you were in Gettysburg this last week.

The Battle.

Having been to Gettysburg a few times in my life, (but not in the last 30 years), I finally now understand that battle. We opted for a ranger ride along, (ranger drives your car and you ride along). What a difference it made. I get it now. Not every nuance, but certainly the big picture. Still don't fully understand why Meade didn't pursue Lee as he headed South out of the area to engage and force a surrender but I suppose he had a lot on his mind and... he had just survived a three day battle with the great Robert E.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #2

I can well imagine - I avoid taking my little (compared to your rig) HW pup down the streets of Gettysburg. Having to waggle through the streets to stay out of the left turn only lanes when you want to go straight, I am fearful of hitting a parked car. Good job. What campground did you stay at?
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Thank you any readers who happened to find a big tan coach in your windshield while you were in Gettysburg this last week.
Roll
THAT WAS YOU! j/k

I live about 20 minutes North of Gettysburg. Great place to visit! I admit, I kind of take it for granted sometimes. Did you drive your unit around the town circle? I can't imagine navigating thru town with your setup.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
I can well imagine - I avoid taking my little (compared to your rig) HW pup down the streets of Gettysburg. Having to waggle through the streets to stay out of the left turn only lanes when you want to go straight, I am fearful of hitting a parked car. Good job. What campground did you stay at?
We stayed at Granite Hill and I'm sure they have level sites...somewhere... but 45 minutes of adjusting your position to get even slightly level was a headache. Otherwise a great trip and really enjoyed the town and the battlefield.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2503S View Post
THAT WAS YOU! j/k

I live about 20 minutes North of Gettysburg. Great place to visit! I admit, I kind of take it for granted sometimes. Did you drive your unit around the town circle? I can't imagine navigating thru town with your setup.

Yup. We did the "around the circle" adventure, which was not as bad as we expected but that turn off of Baltimore (I think it was) was really tight when turning right. To make room I waited for the green straddling both the left turn lane and straight lane and then turned wide into the face of opposing traffic to make sure we cleared the curb. What the town has done (via stop here painted lines) is keep traffic waiting on the opposing side way back from the corner which gives you some maneuvering room and other folks were patient and gracious about it. On the way out we had a left turn at the same intersection which was not nearly as bad.

Can't be the first time locals have seen this; I saw many rigs bigger then ours here and there around the area and it seems that to get anywhere you have to go through town.

Wish DW could have taken a few pics going around the turn but she was busy alternately whimpering and screaming, (at me).
Old 08-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #6

Other than the levelness of the sites, was the campground nice? We have stayed at the state park just west of Gettysburg about 20 minutes.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #7

Buttonwood is about an hour from Gettysburg and every site is nice and level. It's a beautiful park and there was no whimpering or screaming on any of the roads to get there - LOL
2013 Days Camped, since April: 33
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #8

Codorus State Park at Lake Marburg is about 40 minutes away too. Nice sites. Only Electric and water though. There is a Camping World nearby too if any repairs or accessories are needed. Not sure how their service is though

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Other than the levelness of the sites, was the campground nice? We have stayed at the state park just west of Gettysburg about 20 minutes.

Yes; no complaints. Lots of things to do for the kiddies, nice pool and many activities. Very pleasant service by several helpful young ladies.

No complaints except that many of the sites were on a slant.

In Carlisle or thereabouts we stayed at Dogwood Acres and loved that location. Sometime we'll go back there. Great campground with easy access, more level or near level sites and very pleasant folks (family run). Shaded sites and open sites if you want to use your dish. We got in very late, (near midnight) yet the daughter stayed up and led us to the site and gave us the necessary information to find what we needed. Told us to stop by the next day and check in. All the while she was nice and helpful. We gave her a Starbucks card with enough for drinks for her and her friends for her effort.

Roll