Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #1

Had Levelers Installed on My Coachmen

Some of you on the Coachman thread know I swapped out my sofa for the optional theater seating, and really love the difference. There was only one other thing my 2016 319DS Leprechaun didn't have that I wanted, and that was levelers.

So . . . .

After receiving the latest Camping World flyer, I added up their "on sale" price for the HWH system, as well as their sale price to install. Then, I called the HWH factory and had them quote the system. Long story short, the factory was over $800 less expensive then Camping World's sale pricing, so why wouldn't I have the factory do it?

After setting up my appointment a few days ago, I drove over on Wednesday of this week to Moscow, Iowa, where the HWH manufacturing factory is located. My install was set for yesterday morning, and they assured me of an early start.

I went with the fully automatic system, with kick-down jacks, and my total installed price was $4416. Yes, that's a lot of money, but we plan on being in our motorhome six months out of the year, so, for my wife and me, it was money well spent. Had I gone with the straight jacks, the total cost would have been around fifteen dollars more (in other words, next to nothing) but due to my plumbing/drain lines, only the kick-down jacks would clear. Again, no big deal to me.

I arrived early on Wednesday, deciding to be there before the forecast 40-50 MPH winds hit, and checked in. I was shown where to place my motorhome for the evening, and there was free 30 and 50 amp service, along with nearby water, and a dump station.

Yesterday morning, I checked back in at 6:50, and the motorhome was on the rack by 7:00, with a crew of three working on it. One man had to leave at 11:00, which slowed the team a bit, but I was on the road by 2:00 and as they say, "a happy camper"!

Since I have swivel seats in my coach, I didn't want to go with the joystick controlled version of their system, but had I done so, it would have been around $1,000 less cost than the fully computerized system I had installed.

One year parts and labor warranty, and I was told to come back any time, even after the unit is out of warranty, and they will always inspect it for free. Should they discover any service needs, I would of course pay for parts and labor.

There were five other motorhomes in the shop when I arrived Wednesday -- three Class A's and two C's -- and all were finished by 3:00, or earlier.

Yesterday, there were three Class A's in the bays, my Class C, and two other Class C's and one Class A arrived as I was leaving. A very busy place, but wow, how can you go wrong when the factory does the install -- I know they'll stand behind their work.

While sitting in their lounge, I talked with two Class A owners, and heard nothing but good reports on HWH service and products. I know by now I sound like a pitch man for them, but that's not my intent. If you are a motorhome owner considering a leveling system, you might want to look into this firm.

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:31 AM   #2

I would love to put levelers on my MBS. FR said MB wont allow it. However, I just heard Coachmen is now installing a rear leveling system. I am going to ask the factory. Can I ask about the theatre seating? where did u get it done and how much did it cost you?

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:16 AM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

I have a buddy with a big 2006 Born Free that he bought last year. There was an issue with the HWH levelers, he called them and they sent the parts to repair it free. THAT is customer service and there are A LOT of other companies that could learn from that.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsMan View Post
I would love to put levelers on my MBS. FR said MB wont allow it. However, I just heard Coachmen is now installing a rear leveling system. I am going to ask the factory. Can I ask about the theatre seating? where did u get it done and how much did it cost you?
The cost was $1,300, including the freight delivery charge to my closest USF Holland terminal, and check another thread on this Coachman link, titled 'Recliners'. Everything is covered in great detail, with photos, and I believe you'll find it very helpful. What a difference that change made in comfort and, the overall appearance inside the coach. Love it!

Old 04-09-2016, 06:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I have a buddy with a big 2006 Born Free that he bought last year. There was an issue with the HWH levelers, he called them and they sent the parts to repair it free. THAT is customer service and there are A LOT of other companies that could learn from that.

Aaron
Isn't that the truth! I certainly found them excellent to deal with. Another thing I really liked about them during the install, and you rarely find this anywhere: I was allowed on their shop floor anytime to check their progress, and to ask my questions. It's sure easier to ask questions as the install process progressed, then trying to remember everything you'd like to ask when it's done.

The other coach owners there at the time were doing the same thing, and it's really appreciated.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #6

Bigfoot have a 4 point system for the mbs on there web site.
knoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #7

I, too, have the 2016 Leprechaun 319DS with the recliners (rather than the couch), and also had the HDH leveling system with the kick-down jacks. Since my motorhome had to be ordered from the factory, they were able to swing by HDH and have the levelers installed on the way back to the dealer. Installed price was $4,792.50. Yeah, it's a lot, but at age 62 and after 40 years of manual leveling all types of trailers, I felt that I deserved it. Really, really good investment, in my opinion.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:25 PM   #8

Glad to hear your review of the factory install. Our Lexington has the HWH system and we love it. First time we've had levellers and we still smile at the convenience. Especially when it's pouring rain!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:35 PM   #9

Something to be said for buying new with levellers. $4K, ouch. My 2013 Mirada Class A came with computerized levellers, push a button, done in about a minute or less.
Hugh R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #10

What kind of weight are you adding to the MH when these are installed?
Old 04-17-2016, 06:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjerrard View Post
What kind of weight are you adding to the MH when these are installed?
According to the techs who did the install, the added weight is right at 100 pounds for the four jacks, and hydraulic pump and fluid adds another 25 +- pounds. We've camped all this past week, and system worked perfectly (as would be expected). Sure nice to push one button and be done.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #12

Thank you

Tags
led, coachmen