Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2016, 03:54 PM   #1

Has anyone had engine trouble with the Coachmen Leprechaun?

We recently received after ordering, a 2017 Coachmen Leprechaun model 319mb with a 450 Ford chassis. Yesterday, on our 2nd camping trip, we were 25 miles from home on the freeway, when the engine lights started coming on. After stopping briefly, we turned off the AC, which seemed to help for a minute. Then more engine lights came on: check engine, battery, ABS brakes, and it suddenly died. My hubby was able to coast to the side of the freeway. We called Coachnet and they called the local law enforcement who did come in the rain and use their blue lights to keep us from getting hit. After a half hour, hubby was able to start it again (previously there was nothing), and we were able to get it off the freeway to a nearby truck stop and gas station. We were there several hours but thank goodness the generator and the AC worked well. I was advised to call Ford warranty department as well, and it was towed to our hometown large Ford dealer.
Has anyone else had issues like this with their brand new engine's electrical system?
Was there anything else we could have done?
We did check the battery and it was fine; the battery gauge indicated it was in the middle.
Is it likely to be an alternator issue?
Pat Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:08 PM   #2
Carknocker Family

What engine? My work truck, a f550 with the 6.7 diesel, has been in the shop for three weeks. Just died, 25000 miles on it. They putting a fuel rail on it now. That's after a fuel filter, pressure regulator didn't fix it.

New vehicles are to smart for our own good.

I wish you luck
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #3

The Coachmen is a Ford V-10 450 gas engine. I just heard from the dealer who said it is. Likely a power relay or a power engine control module and they have ordered the relay for this unit. It supposedly will be here Tuesday. When questioned in more depth, they said that the power engine control module is more available but they think it is likely the relay which they have ordered.
So hope that helps you! (And I hope this works for us as well!). It was very scary, sitting out on the freeway.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:24 PM   #4

The Coachmen is a Ford V-10 450 gas engine. I just heard from the dealer who said it is. Likely a power relay or a power engine control module and they have ordered the relay for this unit. It supposedly will be here Tuesday. When questioned in more depth, they said that the power engine control module is more available but they think it is likely the relay which they have ordered.
So hope that helps you! (And I hope this works for us as well!). It was very scary, sitting out on the freeway.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:37 PM   #5
World Wide Wanderer

A lot of computer controls on the new vehicles. My first guess would have been something related to the ECM.

We have a 2016 with about 1800 miles on it with no issues. Sounds like you got a bad component, happens occasionally.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:35 AM   #6

We have over 7,000 miles on our 2016 Leprechaun 319DS, on the Ford E450 chassis, and haven't had issues. Very reliable, and in all types of driving, including over a dozen mountain passes in Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana.

Mileage has surprised us, too. We tow a full size SUV behind it, and on a trip this spring to the Indy 500, then south into Kentucky and Tennessee, and back home to Iowa, we averaged 8.3 MPG (that was mostly interstate driving at an average of 63 MPH, with the AC on).

We installed a tuner two months ago, and on a 650 mile trip last week, we averaged 9.2 MPH; same load, same speed, same tow vehicle, and AC on. Lots of stop and go driving, detours, and hilly terrain. Very pleased with the drivetrain and fuel usage.

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
We have over 7,000 miles on our 2016 Leprechaun 319DS, on the Ford E450 chassis, and haven't had issues. Very reliable, and in all types of driving, including over a dozen mountain passes in Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana.

Mileage has surprised us, too. We tow a full size SUV behind it, and on a trip this spring to the Indy 500, then south into Kentucky and Tennessee, and back home to Iowa, we averaged 8.3 MPG (that was mostly interstate driving at an average of 63 MPH, with the AC on).

We installed a tuner two months ago, and on a 650 mile trip last week, we averaged 9.2 MPH; same load, same speed, same tow vehicle, and AC on. Lots of stop and go driving, detours, and hilly terrain. Very pleased with the drivetrain and fuel usage.
What kind of downloader? Do you use it all the time or just when towing?

Thanks
mltranch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #8

When our 2013 Leprechaun, on the E350, was practically new, we had an event where EVERY warning light went on. We called Ford Roadside Assistance and after trouble shooting by phone without answers they had us towed over 100 miles for service and provided a rental car. It took them 2 weeks to discover it was the position of the wiring harness which had caused the insulation to be worn off of all wires. Lucky we didn't burst into flames! No problems since then and we're happy campers.
Hoffwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltranch1 View Post
What kind of downloader? Do you use it all the time or just when towing?

Thanks
We went with the 5-Star Tuner, and it came pre-loaded with the 87 octane, tow program (which is what we requested). The difference in shifting and acceleration is much improved, and although we didn't expect it, the MPG has increased, as well.

We tow our SUV (a Dodge Durango) nearly 100% of the time, so I don't have any idea what MPG would be like without it behind us, however: we live rural, and I have driven to town a time or two (30 mile, round trip) to top-off the motorhome's tank, and without the SUV in tow. There, too, even though I'm still in the towing program with the tuner, acceleration and shifting is significantly better, and there are lots of hills between my place and town. Much, much less downshifting.

I don't mean to sound like an ad for the product, but in my situation, and with my driving habits, the tuner was money very well spent. Sorry, also: I didn't intend to sway the original direction of this thread!

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:10 PM   #10
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
We went with the 5-Star Tuner, and it came pre-loaded with the 87 octane, tow program (which is what we requested). The difference in shifting and acceleration is much improved, and although we didn't expect it, the MPG has increased, as well.

We tow our SUV (a Dodge Durango) nearly 100% of the time, so I don't have any idea what MPG would be like without it behind us, however: we live rural, and I have driven to town a time or two (30 mile, round trip) to top-off the motorhome's tank, and without the SUV in tow. There, too, even though I'm still in the towing program with the tuner, acceleration and shifting is significantly better, and there are lots of hills between my place and town. Much, much less downshifting.

I don't mean to sound like an ad for the product, but in my situation, and with my driving habits, the tuner was money very well spent. Sorry, also: I didn't intend to sway the original direction of this thread!
We have a 2016 concord and I've been scratching my head about 5 star tune after reading your post think I'm gonna order one. I've read a lot about the tune and 5 speed trannys but not a lot about the new 6 speed. Thanks for your info
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #11
Chief tinkerer

PatNelson, we have basically the same truck with our 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS. A little over 5000 miles with no truck related problems.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #12

What happened to the OP is extremely unusual. Glad everyone is safe. 3000 miles on my E-450 with no issues.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Nelson View Post
The Ford Triton V-10 is 6.8 liters which equals 415 cubic inches. Does sound like an ECM failure; rare occurrence!

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen