Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2015, 07:14 AM   #1

Have you added any steering stabilizers or sway bars to your Mirada? If so your though

We added Safety Plus Steering Stabilizer...it helped...what else have you added? Your results? Recommendations?
gomalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Its really not your Mirada that you added your steering stabilizer to, it is your Ford F-53 chassis. That fact makes your question applicable to just about every "gas" A from any manufacturer that sits on that chassis. With that being said, just exactly what is the problem you are trying to correct? Also, if you post which chassis you have (mine is 18k GVWR) folks can provide you with part numbers and better recommendations. Just saying.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:28 PM   #3

Very good point.
We are wanting to do whatever needed to make driving a 32' box down the highway with passing semi's and wind ....that's all
Old 04-07-2015, 06:50 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomalley View Post
Very good point.
We are wanting to do whatever needed to make driving a 32' box down the highway with passing semi's and wind ....that's all
I hear that. Mine is a 29'er and weighs in at just north of 14000 lbs loaded. Thats light for a big box so we got blown all over the road. Your unit is new enough that you have front and rear anti-sway bars and a front track bar (aka hardpan bar) from the factory. Since Ford does not know what the coachbuilder is going to plunk on the chassis, they ship all the units with the anti sway bars set to "soft". The first thing you can do is move the links to the inside hole (aka hard) position. This will cost you zero unless you choose, as I did, to install Hellwig adjustable links on the front so you don't get the occasional clunking noise. They are under $100.

The next freebee is tire pressure. It is important! You have to weigh to do it right.

In my opinion, the next task is the rear track bar. Most folks opt for the BlueOx as it is high quality. You Will need a 250lb torque wrench for this install. I also used a lasar to line up the bar to the frame. This will stabilize the rear axle and eliminate "tail wag". Important if you are towing.

All these enhancements/adjustments have an incremental effect on your driveability. They are fairly inexpensive and a DIY project if you have skills and tools.

A good truck shop front end allignment may help as well.

BTW, I started with the safetplus too.

If you are stll not satisfied, you can try Koni Shocks and Rear air bags next. I did not need them. Now I can stay in my lane during truck passes with ease. I hardly notice anything smaller. No tail wag noticed while towing even with a very light toad that is skittish in the wind. After a full day on the road I am not beat when we pull into the park for the night.
I can drink my coffee without spillage. My DW can make it to the jon without a pinball impersonation. Ahhh.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomalley View Post
We added Safety Plus Steering Stabilizer...it helped...what else have you added? Your results? Recommendations?
I'm new to driving a motorhome and have lots of questions on this topic. As a matter of fact, I started a thread earlier today about getting a Road Performance Assessment to get some professional input. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-it-79000.html

You said the steering stabilizer helped. Would you mind telling me how it helped? What problem did it correct......or how did it make your experience better?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Days Camped 2015: 40
Days Camped 2016: 03
Christian_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:55 AM   #6

surprised

I was really surprised at the amount of steering wheel travel in a new motor home, but this last week end really noticed the true amount when traveling to susanville ca. to see my son, 395 out of reno was very windy, and the tracking of the mh was very hard to control, and left me worn out, when we got and settled in at the park, and boom I was out, I am getting a stabilizer installed before my next trip, also the front moved to the hard setting, it was pretty crazy for a new rig,,,,
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:22 AM   #7

Hammer55 what coach are you driving inc. Length...
I crawled under coach and took a couple pix of what I think is the stabilizer /sway bar (not sure if they are one and the same) looking for the Cheap Easy Fix holes mentioned on several forums. ..I'm going to attach them and asking for help...
The steering stablizer NVdid "help" however it's designed to help control in event of blowout...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1429013981522.jpg
Views:	1088
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	74210   Click image for larger version

Name:	1429014047820.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	74211   Click image for larger version

Name:	1429014143201.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	74212  
Old 04-14-2015, 07:34 AM   #8

mine is a 29ft, f 53, yours looks different from mine, I am not a real chassis guy, the others here are the guy who can help, most of the time I am wrong on my posts so I try just to post general post on what I do to my coach
I moved mine to the inside empty holes, a shorter distance, the z bracket on the back just turned it around to the other hole

the cheap handling thread has pics and help posts also
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #9

Mentioned earlier,this is a Ford issue....so I'll post there also and see what I learn. Appreciate everyone's help!!
Old 04-14-2015, 08:06 AM   #10

Yes, gomalley, that is what the control bar on my rear looks like; the front bar does not have those "silver"-looking brackets (not on mine anyway). However, the front one is very easy to spot...especially the two different holes. Even I was able to figure it out, and I am truly a novice at all things "under the hood".

As I mentioned in the other thread about my Road Performance Assessment, we decided on a few things that we will be adding/improving on our 2015 Georgetown 270.....gonna do it next week, as a matter of fact. One thing... Before adding to or changing out any of the factory sway control bars, we are going to have the techs do the Cheap Handling Fix on ours.

It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I can report back. Fingers crossed it doesn't cause any issues and that it helps in a significant manner.
Days Camped 2015: 40
Days Camped 2016: 03
Christian_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stabilizers, sway