Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #1

Have you seen the Bridge from Hell? Watch here.

Durham's Bridge of Death Will Decapitate Any Tall Truck - John Metcalfe - The Atlantic Cities

[MAKE SURE TO SCROLL DOWN TO THE VIDEO ONCE THE ABOVE PAGE LOADS]

Always a concern and came close one day in Texas gas station. Pump cover looked as high as any of them......but it wasn't. CB antenna (i don't acutally have a CB) alerted me to the hazard and I backed out.

Did FR put CB antennas on everyones coach?

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #2

Ouch! Take a look at the RV one.

frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #3

This is why I got one of those RV GPSs that has a low clearance warning! I know it's not foolproof, but it at least makes me feel better.

When we drove the new coach home from the dealership, I thought we were going to hit every bridge and tree we went under, LOL!

(Not sure if I have a CB antenna - I'll have to see if we have one when we finally get this coach out of winter storage, which I'm hoping is soon.)
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Engineer of Crazy Train

My girls uncle just bought the coach that hit the bridge. He has 2 others of that model and could get the parts to fix the AC. I actually joked and posted the video on FB and asked if that bus said Furtado on the side. His wife said no, but it will soon since they are buying it. Funny thing, they didn't know what happened to the bus until I posted the video.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #5

Go to 11 FOOT 8 very good videos of the bridge at work!

What`s funny is that 100 feet or so before the bridge there is a beam that when crossed by a tall truck sets the flashing lights off for the low clearance. the idea is to alert people with the flashing lights, instead of just getting used to them flashing 24/7.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

our local 11-8 bridge .......
eats one a month it seems
Historic photos: Q-C's truck-eating bridges : Gallery

scroll through all 4 PAGES !!!!!!!!

actually we have a few

free beer anyone?
Click image for larger version

Name:	4db86bc9209e5.image.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	26010
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
This is why I got one of those RV GPSs that has a low clearance warning! I know it's not foolproof, but it at least makes me feel better.

When we drove the new coach home from the dealership, I thought we were going to hit every bridge and tree we went under, LOL!

(Not sure if I have a CB antenna - I'll have to see if we have one when we finally get this coach out of winter storage, which I'm hoping is soon.)
You can also buy the Rand McNally highway atlas made especially for semi-drivers. Those list every bridge on the major highways that are below 13'6".

Available at many truck stops and if you happen to buy when they are upgrading to the newest year, but can find last years, they do a "close out" for less than $10.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Durham's Bridge of Death Will Decapitate Any Tall Truck - John Metcalfe - The Atlantic Cities

[MAKE SURE TO SCROLL DOWN TO THE VIDEO ONCE THE ABOVE PAGE LOADS]

Always a concern and came close one day in Texas gas station. Pump cover looked as high as any of them......but it wasn't. CB antenna (i don't acutally have a CB) alerted me to the hazard and I backed out.

Did FR put CB antennas on everyones coach?

Roll
OMG how can they even allow any truck to go under that thing!! My stomach turned when I saw the Greyhound type transport go under it! That poor RV! I had my hand over my mouth the entire video!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #9

Quote:
This is why I got one of those RV GPSs that has a low clearance warning!
I have one as well, a Garmin truck unit that tells me if I wander onto a threatening route but also like you, I don't entirely depend on it. I have had tense moments passing under some bridges, probably left pucker marks on the seat.

My Encounter came with a 30 inch old fashioned CB antenna sitting at the front of the roof right in the middle. It makes a lot of noise when I drag it under limbs or low overhangs so I know right away if I am under something low. Of course the problem is that if I am moving with any speed, the warning is too late to prevent damage. It is by far the higest thing sticking up on the roof by maybe 15-20 inches so many times it hits but nothing else does.

I thought the CB antenna was standard but maybe not. I don't have a CB connected to it by the way. Might get one some day.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #10

Ok - I just looked and I do have an antenna. Never noticed it before (but wondering how I didn't because it is rather huge.) :-)
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Ok - I just looked and I do have an antenna. Never noticed it before (but wondering how I didn't because it is rather huge.) :-)
Maybe the intended function is early warning and it just happens to also be a CB antenna. Designed for us first timers no doubt.

When I had my dash apart and the seats out, (to install the hush mat) I was able to lay on my back easily and with a flash light, peer around under the dash. Never did find a cable end for the CB antenna but I'm sure it's there somewhere.

Roll
Old 03-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
phat phrog stunt crew

You can also buy the Rand McNally highway atlas made especially for semi-drivers. Those list every bridge on the major highways that are below 13'6".

Available at many truck stops and if you happen to buy when they are upgrading to the newest year, but can find last years, they do a "close out" for less than $10

x2 on the truckers atlas. it also list routes and what vehicle length is NOT recommended for travel. if you feel a little froggy, spring for for the laminated version. you can fold it back on itself and clean the pages if you spill your traveling beverage on it. a bit more pricey, but well worth it imho. available at finer truck stops everywhere. also listed in the same atlas are canadian routes.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post

Available at many truck stops and if you happen to buy when they are upgrading to the newest year, but can find last years, they do a "close out" for less than $10

x2 on the truckers atlas. it also list routes and what vehicle length is NOT recommended for travel. if you feel a little froggy, spring for for the laminated version. you can fold it back on itself and clean the pages if you spill your traveling beverage on it. a bit more pricey, but well worth it imho. available at finer truck stops everywhere. also listed in the same atlas are canadian routes.
Oh I would live one of those! We have a bridge that is 13' 8", and the other day some poor 18 wheeler was carrying what looked like an office, with glass walls. He was crawling under the bridge with what looked like inches to spare! This map sounds priceless!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #14

CNN actually did a story on this just now.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
DDC

I remember lots of these when I was was doing my apprenticeship in Scotland in the sixties working on double decker buses we use to have to go out and let all the air out of the tires back it up and then change all the wheels, just because the driver took the wrong road and did not read the signs.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #16
Anacortesians

From the time I-5 through Mount Vernon, WA was built, there was a city overpass that was less than 14'. It got hit many times over the years, but on one occasion, the stuff that got knocked off a truck doing about 60 mph resulted in fatalities.

The street was remodelled about 5 years ago and is now well above 16'. If you come off the freeway at Kincaid Street, the under-pass headed west is 14' 2".
Old 04-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #17

At what height do you need to start paying closer attention?

My truck and folding TT was 7 foot, so I never paid attention.

We replaced the TT with an MH, at 11 foot 8. I know I must pay attention at gas stations, etc. But is 11 foot 8 tall enough to worry about tunnels, bridges and over crossings on public roads?
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post

We replaced the TT with an MH, at 11 foot 8. I know I must pay attention at gas stations, etc. But is 11 foot 8 tall enough to worry about tunnels, bridges and over crossings on public roads?
http://11foot8.com/
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #19
phat phrog stunt crew

scroll thru and find the video of the idiot loading a grand aam into a box truck. just cause you can, doesnt mean you should.

11 FOOT 8

this might be it, but maybe not.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post

There are certainly some that are less, but the required height for a semi truck is 13 foot 6 inches. Most motor homes will probably go under that.....
Heavy emphasis on the words MOST and PROBABLY.

BUT the best defense is to not drive your coach as though it's just a big car. Be VERY aware of your surroundings and check your mirrors/cameras often. Use your signals for EVERY lane change.

If a car goes by you in the left lane and you didn't know he was passing until he went by you, you're not paying close enough attention.

Most of this advice is general, not necessarily about low clearances. But if you pay heed to it and get in the habit of driving that way, I'll bet you'll never miss that low clearance sign!!

If you're interested in becoming more like a TRUE professional driver, google "smith system". It outlines 5 important points to help you driver more safely.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote