Old 07-14-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
Help! How to tow a dinghy

We just purchased a motorhome. We are deciding whether to tow with a car dolly or flat tow. Please give your opinion on which you feel is the best option and why. I have to make a decision in the next 24 hours, so please jump in. Thanks.

prairiegopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:47 PM   #2
So you already have a toad? Or will you be buying one?
Makes a difference in being able to flat tow.

ETA: Flat tow is best. Much easier hookup.

2014 Berkshire 390RB-60
dan-nickie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #3
Sorry, we do not have a toad. I have a tentative deal on a Jeep Liberty which has the neutral button to disengage the transmission. If a lot of people decided the dolly was better, then we would cancel the deal and buy a dolly. Thanks.
prairiegopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:28 PM   #4
If you want the Jeep, then get it and equip it to tow. If that is the only reason to get the Jeep, then you might rethink it.

We started with a dolly because that was the most economical way to get started. We have just converted to flat tow a CRV. The cost of equipping the CRV was about the same as the purchase cost of the best tow dolly new (Kar Kaddy SS). But, we were able to find a used one used. It served us well until we were ready to replace the car.

Hookup is easier on the CRV, but quite doable on the dolly. To me, getting a car that suites your needs is first priority.
coupevillefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:31 PM   #5
I have a dolly and kinda wish I didn't. The dolly is harder to hook up and then you have to park it somewhere when not in use.
The good side is there is no wear and tear on the drive train.
Joel K
Southeast AZ
2013 Coachman Mirada 29DSSE
jk510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:32 AM   #6
Dolly; one time investment, universal-can tow most vehicles, no need to buy new stuff if you want to tow a different vehicle. Its a little more time consuming to hookup and disconnect. Very nice if you are a franchise of the "Dads, Auto repair and Towing service".

Can be backed a couple feet (i.e. overshot the gas pump and need to back up 2-3 feet), Anything farther than that will require a great deal of practice.

4 down; purchase/investment cost generally dedicated to one TOAD vehicle. However, some of the investment can be re-used if you buy another TOAD, (maybe)

Tow bar - might be able to use on multiple TOADS, If the TOAD is equipped with the same manufactures base plates that match the tow bar.

Base Plate - These bolt to the frame of the car and are very specific to the car. The Tow bar then attaches to these plates. Base plates are a one time install on the car and cannot be transferred between cars (unless its the same make/model,year, etc)

Brake system - Some can be moved from vehicle to vehicle, but may require small modifications to the vehicle to accept and use the system. Some are are dedicated and cannot be moved.

4 down towing is a lot simpler to hookup/disconnect.

Also - Backing with a TOAD is entirely possible - check with your tow bar manufacture to make sure its OK with them, and also you need to verify how the TOAD steering behaves while backing (castor). If you can back a trailer, you can back a TOAD. I have no limits on mine, I've backed it into parking spaces at campgrounds, truck stops, etc. like I say, mine is just like backing a trailer.
2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2001 Civic
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:28 AM   #7
If you decide on a tow dolly, I have one for sales with electric brakes and spare tire. Contact me at
Mowinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:55 AM   #8
Location: Home of the 4 time Super Bowl Champions Patriots and we'll be there again
I tow 4 wheels down a 2015 Jeep Cherokee auto with Active II transmisson. Setup takes about 15 minutes and I use Blue Ox equipment all the way. Cost about $2k+ and I installed the base plates. I had looked at tow dollies and even car haulers but liked the ease and compactness of equipment required to tow
Mary and Me
2015 2650s

2015 Jeep Cherokee
n-e-d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #9
7 Year Class A RV'er
Check the Jeep Liberty; not sure it can be flat towed, even with the switch you mentioned. Note the mention of the Active II transmission in the Cherokee. That's a requirement; can't flat tow the Cherokee without that feature. All the Wranglers will flat tow. Do NOT trust what the dealer tells you! Verify it!
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #10
For us flat tow is much better. We keep cars a long time so initial cost will be spread out over years. We used a tow dolly first when we didn't Know what we were going to do and dolly's are more flexible as you can tow any front wheel drive car. I don't think I will ever go back to dolly.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote