Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2015, 06:42 PM   #1

Help! How to tow a dinghy

We just purchased a motorhome. We are deciding whether to tow with a car dolly or flat tow. Please give your opinion on which you feel is the best option and why. I have to make a decision in the next 24 hours, so please jump in. Thanks.
prairiegopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:47 PM   #2

So you already have a toad? Or will you be buying one?
Makes a difference in being able to flat tow.

ETA: Flat tow is best. Much easier hookup.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #3

Sorry, we do not have a toad. I have a tentative deal on a Jeep Liberty which has the neutral button to disengage the transmission. If a lot of people decided the dolly was better, then we would cancel the deal and buy a dolly. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:28 PM   #4

If you want the Jeep, then get it and equip it to tow. If that is the only reason to get the Jeep, then you might rethink it.

We started with a dolly because that was the most economical way to get started. We have just converted to flat tow a CRV. The cost of equipping the CRV was about the same as the purchase cost of the best tow dolly new (Kar Kaddy SS). But, we were able to find a used one used. It served us well until we were ready to replace the car.

Hookup is easier on the CRV, but quite doable on the dolly. To me, getting a car that suites your needs is first priority.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:31 PM   #5

I have a dolly and kinda wish I didn't. The dolly is harder to hook up and then you have to park it somewhere when not in use.
The good side is there is no wear and tear on the drive train.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:32 AM   #6

Dolly; one time investment, universal-can tow most vehicles, no need to buy new stuff if you want to tow a different vehicle. Its a little more time consuming to hookup and disconnect. Very nice if you are a franchise of the "Dads, Auto repair and Towing service".

Can be backed a couple feet (i.e. overshot the gas pump and need to back up 2-3 feet), Anything farther than that will require a great deal of practice.

4 down; purchase/investment cost generally dedicated to one TOAD vehicle. However, some of the investment can be re-used if you buy another TOAD, (maybe)

Tow bar - might be able to use on multiple TOADS, If the TOAD is equipped with the same manufactures base plates that match the tow bar.

Base Plate - These bolt to the frame of the car and are very specific to the car. The Tow bar then attaches to these plates. Base plates are a one time install on the car and cannot be transferred between cars (unless its the same make/model,year, etc)

Brake system - Some can be moved from vehicle to vehicle, but may require small modifications to the vehicle to accept and use the system. Some are are dedicated and cannot be moved.

4 down towing is a lot simpler to hookup/disconnect.

Also - Backing with a TOAD is entirely possible - check with your tow bar manufacture to make sure its OK with them, and also you need to verify how the TOAD steering behaves while backing (castor). If you can back a trailer, you can back a TOAD. I have no limits on mine, I've backed it into parking spaces at campgrounds, truck stops, etc. like I say, mine is just like backing a trailer.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:28 AM   #7

If you decide on a tow dolly, I have one for sales with electric brakes and spare tire. Contact me at mowinks@msn.com
Mowinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:55 AM   #8
Wait till next year...

I tow 4 wheels down a 2015 Jeep Cherokee auto with Active II transmisson. Setup takes about 15 minutes and I use Blue Ox equipment all the way. Cost about $2k+ and I installed the base plates. I had looked at tow dollies and even car haulers but liked the ease and compactness of equipment required to tow
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #9
7 Year Class A RV'er

Check the Jeep Liberty; not sure it can be flat towed, even with the switch you mentioned. Note the mention of the Active II transmission in the Cherokee. That's a requirement; can't flat tow the Cherokee without that feature. All the Wranglers will flat tow. Do NOT trust what the dealer tells you! Verify it!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #10

For us flat tow is much better. We keep cars a long time so initial cost will be spread out over years. We used a tow dolly first when we didn't Know what we were going to do and dolly's are more flexible as you can tow any front wheel drive car. I don't think I will ever go back to dolly.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #11

After much research, I opted for the flat tow. Disadvantages: My tow bar does not allow backing. Advantages: After the base plate is installed, a 2-3 minute hookup or unhook, barely noticeable when towing until I hit the steeper hills. I use the same gear up or down, I just shift up or down sooner. No real noticeable change in my MPG. I opted for the SMI Stay and Play Brake System, I flip one switch while I am climbing in or out and unhook the towbar and safety stuff and we are on the way, woohoo. I had the complete system installed by a local dealer, cost was $4,200.00.
micpib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #12
Citrus County, Fl.

I just picked up a used Falcon2 and a Brake Buddy a relative no longer needed along with all the wiring. Now all I have to get is the base plate installed and everything hooked up and should be ready to go. Just curious, how long does it take you to hook up and do you need to be on level ground?
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:04 PM   #13
Berkshire 390QS

Before you buy, read the car manual. Dealers may or may not know or just say what you want to hear on towing. We tow a toyota, 4 down, but it's a manual transmission and takes maybe two minutes to hook up.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #14
Wait till next year...

Suggest you download or just read online Motorhomes Dinghy guide. While the Liberty doesnt appear in this(2015) years edition doesnt mean past years models arent 4 down towable
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:40 PM   #15

I think most people with tow bars have the collapsible. Very easy and fast to hook up. Just drive up, get it close, hook up the bars, and your on your way (They lock into place as you move )

I have a fixed bar, looks like a big "A". You probably see these on the front of a Jeep when they are tilted up with the Jeep driving around.

On my Civic, I remove the "A" tow bar (pull two pins) and put it in the trunk.

Hook up is a little more time consuming than the colapsable.

We pull the car in behind the MH (it doesn't need to be straight or level). I install the "A" tow bar on the front of the car. I then grab the chains and hold the hitch up slightly higher than the MH receiver ball. The DW then drives the TOAD so the hitch is directly over the ball and I drop it down on the ball. IMPORTANT - Don't hold the hitch to high. Hold the hitch just high enough so it will go over the top of the ball. If the DW should overshoot, the tow bar hitch will hit the MH bumper. If you hold it to high or panic and pull it up, the DW can drive the tow bar through the back wall of the MH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH_TOAD_3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	82989  
Old 07-15-2015, 08:46 PM   #16

Flat tow....I have had only three vehicles used as toad and still have two of them..That's after more than 22 years of towing...get wiring at trailerpartsto go.com hooking up to OE with no problems....

gtony2
gtony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:36 PM   #17

The big negative about tow dollies is that you now have three vehicles to contend with rather than two! While the tow dolly has its proponents, I believe you'll find the majority tow flat. I have a Jeep liberty and it works great as a toad. The Honda CRV is also very popular, but the majority of today's vehicles are not able to be flat towed. IMHO, most folks who've been doing this for a while will recommend a permanently installed brake system rather than one you place on the driver's floor every time you want to tow. But, you're still going to need a tow bar and vehicle base plate if you tow flat. In this regard, the tow dolly will likely cost you less and may or may not be easier to hook up. Find a couple of folks in your area who are familiar with all of this and they can help you through it. Some of these decisions are costly and some are almost irrevocable. As with any other of our Forum topics, you will find a whole range of opinions. Read as many as you can on any particular subject and you will start to see the better ideas usually pop up eventually and will have several members supporting what has been said. Strength in numbers!
Old 07-15-2015, 10:05 PM   #18

Thank you for all of your input. We decided to buy the liberty and will shop around for the necessary equipment so we can flat tow. It's so nice to be able to get information from people who know what they are talking about. Thanks again!!
Old 07-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #19
7 Year Class A RV'er

Someone mentioned the flat tow equipment being limited to one vehicle. So far as I know, that only applies to the base plates and lighting upgrades. The base plates are a fairly minimal cost, about $300 to purchase plus install. Braking should be transferable, even if you use the built in type like Invisibrake (which I use). A lot of vehicles will require other major upgrades (lube pumps, etc.) before you can flat tow them and some are not flat towable at all.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiegopher View Post
Sorry, we do not have a toad. I have a tentative deal on a Jeep Liberty which has the neutral button to disengage the transmission. If a lot of people decided the dolly was better, then we would cancel the deal and buy a dolly. Thanks.
Is this 'Neutral Button' something new?
I have never heard of that on a Liberty.

Or any other vehicle now that I think about it.