Old 07-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #11

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Dbutusov,,,,,It sounds like you've already covered that base,,,,,which PROBABLY means the battery is bad. When you get it load tested at Wally World or an auto parts store and find out it's bad for sure, make sure they sell you a deep cycle battery. Have it fully charged before you bring it in for testing.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:14 PM   #12

The battery has been murdered. If you are gonna boondock you need a REAL battery monitor and not a voltmeter. You need to NEVER let it go below 50% Charge which you CANNOT tell from a voltmeter IN USE.
You need to always charge it back to 100% which you cannot tell from a voltmeter. It takes a minimum of 4 hours and generally more to recharge a battery that is 1/2 depleted with the MAXIMUM size charger it can handle. Regardless of what the voltmeter says.
You need to understand how MUCH time you have left at present rate of discharge till you hit 50%...which you cannot tell from a voltmeter.
A TRUE battery monitor will tell you these things and lots more. Victron or Trimetric are the preferred brands...Victrons start at $150...Trimetrics a bit more. They both do the same things.

No matter what battery brand is recommended ....without a battery monitor in a boondocking situation...similar use will kill it in a year or two.

As to battery brand...it sounds like you only have room for ONE battery for the house which is minimal. Get the biggest ONE you can if that is true (Group 31) which will give you approximately 105 Amp Hours at the 20 hour rate. Pay NO attention to any other specs for the battery. If it says anything about cranking amps on the label it is not a TRUE DEEP CYCLE which is what you need for optimum life.
In your situation...I'd suggest a Trojan deep cycle 12V in the largest size that will fit for maximum cycle life at a reasonable but premium price.
If you want to save some $$ then the East Penn Deka or Marine Master DEEP CYCLES are an excellent value from a cost per amp hour delivered over the lifetime.
Whatever you do...don't get anything labeled dual purpose.

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #13

Will do ... Thank you Grampa Jim!
Old 07-06-2016, 04:40 PM   #14

Thank you for all the great information Camaraderie ... Extremely helpful!

Old 07-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #15

I had the converter go bad on mine and changed to a better one. That being said, I'm using 2 of the biggest Optima deep cycle I could get and fit the compartment. Then put 2 solar panels on the roof. No bat problems.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I'm using 2 of the biggest Optima deep cycle I could get and fit the compartment. Then put 2 solar panels on the roof. No bat problems.
While you may be happy with your setup...I think that others should be aware that Optima is an AGM spiral wound battery rather than a wet cell AND that they make NO deep cycle batteries...only dual purpose ones.
Their largest "deep cycle" is their group 31 which sells for $315 and ONLY HAS 75 amp hours which is the SAME as a normal group 24 wet cell. It is also 27 amp hours LESS than the Trojan Reliant group 31 which is a TRUE deep cycle and weighs 10lbs. more (lead weight directly correlates with power and cycle life.) Sells for about $50 less last time I checked.
Note that I think Optima makes some fine batteries for specific purposes... but not for this one.

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery