Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #1

Help ... Need a New Battery

Need some of your expert advice, please.

We have a 2015 Coachmen Freelander 21QB and the battery is not holding a charge over night. We are weekend campers and do not like to use the generator at night unless running the A/C. What would you recommend as the best battery to purchase?

Thanks!!

dbutusov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbutusov View Post
Need some of your expert advice, please.

We have a 2015 Coachmen Freelander 21QB and the battery is not holding a charge over night. We are weekend campers and do not like to use the generator at night unless running the A/C. What would you recommend as the best battery to purchase?

Thanks!!

Your battery is not very old. Are you sure that it's getting a charge?

If so, I recently bought a pair of NAPA marine / deep cycle batteries after doing some research. They seemed to do well up to the point I traded in that motorhome.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:01 PM   #3

Yes. After running the generator and plugging in at home, husband checks the battery and it has a full charge.

Thanks for the info regarding the Napa marine/deep cycle battery.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:12 PM   #4

I suspect your other half is only getting the surface charge.

I would suggest the batteries be taken to an auto parts store and load tested.

If I may ask how long did the Freelander sit before you used it last?
Old 07-05-2016, 03:20 PM   #5

FWIW I did 21 years at a Napa jobbing store. Walmart had the best warranty on their deep cycle batteries. 24 free replacement(I have had good service from them). Most places are 12 mo warranty.

Napa batteries are Excide...so they would be good batteries...that is what I run on my vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #6

Ford Idaho: He has already pulled the battery to take it in for a load test. We are racers so he has some knowledge in regards to batteries. We were interested in finding out what RV folks thought to be the best replacement, if needed, since we are somewhat new to the RV life. Thank you for your help. Appreciate it!

Thank you for the info Iwannacamp. Appreciate it!

Old 07-05-2016, 05:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
FWIW I did 21 years at a Napa jobbing store. Walmart had the best warranty on their deep cycle batteries. 24 free replacement(I have had good service from them). Most places are 12 mo warranty.

Napa batteries are Excide...so they would be good batteries...that is what I run on my vehicles.

I think NAPA is no longer Exide, but rather East Pennsylvania Battery if I recall. Still good batteries as they make them for several manufacturers I believe.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
I think NAPA is no longer Exide, but rather East Pennsylvania Battery if I recall. Still good batteries as they make them for several manufacturers I believe.

Appears you may be correct. Looks like since '09. I still have contacts with Napa battery reps. I left in March 06. I have bought batteries since and never asked who made them.

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #9

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
i would recommend checking your battery in place with a voltmeter to make sure your converter is sending the juice to the battery. Some RV's,,,,like mine,,,,has a disconnect switch on them. Just check to make sure the converter is sending it juice before you condemn it.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:26 PM   #10

Grandap Jim: Several times after plugging in the RV at home overnight and then unplugging it, my husband has checked the battery with a volt meter and it shows fully charged. The battery will then discharge in about 24 hours after very limited use. Converter seems to be working fine.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #11

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Dbutusov,,,,,It sounds like you've already covered that base,,,,,which PROBABLY means the battery is bad. When you get it load tested at Wally World or an auto parts store and find out it's bad for sure, make sure they sell you a deep cycle battery. Have it fully charged before you bring it in for testing.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:14 PM   #12

The battery has been murdered. If you are gonna boondock you need a REAL battery monitor and not a voltmeter. You need to NEVER let it go below 50% Charge which you CANNOT tell from a voltmeter IN USE.
You need to always charge it back to 100% which you cannot tell from a voltmeter. It takes a minimum of 4 hours and generally more to recharge a battery that is 1/2 depleted with the MAXIMUM size charger it can handle. Regardless of what the voltmeter says.
You need to understand how MUCH time you have left at present rate of discharge till you hit 50%...which you cannot tell from a voltmeter.
A TRUE battery monitor will tell you these things and lots more. Victron or Trimetric are the preferred brands...Victrons start at $150...Trimetrics a bit more. They both do the same things.

No matter what battery brand is recommended ....without a battery monitor in a boondocking situation...similar use will kill it in a year or two.

As to battery brand...it sounds like you only have room for ONE battery for the house which is minimal. Get the biggest ONE you can if that is true (Group 31) which will give you approximately 105 Amp Hours at the 20 hour rate. Pay NO attention to any other specs for the battery. If it says anything about cranking amps on the label it is not a TRUE DEEP CYCLE which is what you need for optimum life.
In your situation...I'd suggest a Trojan deep cycle 12V in the largest size that will fit for maximum cycle life at a reasonable but premium price.
If you want to save some $$ then the East Penn Deka or Marine Master DEEP CYCLES are an excellent value from a cost per amp hour delivered over the lifetime.
Whatever you do...don't get anything labeled dual purpose.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:34 PM   #13

Will do ... Thank you Grampa Jim!
Old 07-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #14

Thank you for all the great information Camaraderie ... Extremely helpful!

Old 07-06-2016, 04:14 PM   #15

I had the converter go bad on mine and changed to a better one. That being said, I'm using 2 of the biggest Optima deep cycle I could get and fit the compartment. Then put 2 solar panels on the roof. No bat problems.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I'm using 2 of the biggest Optima deep cycle I could get and fit the compartment. Then put 2 solar panels on the roof. No bat problems.
While you may be happy with your setup...I think that others should be aware that Optima is an AGM spiral wound battery rather than a wet cell AND that they make NO deep cycle batteries...only dual purpose ones.
Their largest "deep cycle" is their group 31 which sells for $315 and ONLY HAS 75 amp hours which is the SAME as a normal group 24 wet cell. It is also 27 amp hours LESS than the Trojan Reliant group 31 which is a TRUE deep cycle and weighs 10lbs. more (lead weight directly correlates with power and cycle life.) Sells for about $50 less last time I checked.
Note that I think Optima makes some fine batteries for specific purposes... but not for this one.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery