Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #1

Icemaker quit

Here's a good one. Icemaker went out on our Kitchenaide residential refrigerator, so we called a repair service out to look things over.
Serviceman looked it over and said the water inlet valve needs to be replaced, ordered the part, came back to install it.......guess what? We couldn't get the refrigerator out to install the valve.....LOL. I bought the valve from him, so we gonna try to get it installed in either Middlebury or Goshen.
When this refrigerator was installed...... It was WELL installed.

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #2

Hey CMS ....

Are you full timing in your coach?

I pull a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited (4dr) Sahara and so far no issues. Wonder how it's going for you. I have had to back up twice; each time only went back about 3 feet very slowly and watched the Jeep wheels to be sure they didn't turn and lock up. My inability (at the time) to determine if I had enough room to turn was the problem, not the Jeep. I'm better at it now.

When towing the Jeep, I turn the key off and pull it out. I also disconnect the battery and run my Patriot Brake device off of power from the coach. I did have to lower the angle for the hitch with a 4 inch drop receiver and then when I got tired of hearing all the clunking from that set up, I got the u-bolt clamps from BluOx and clamped that baby down tight. Now everything is quiet back there.

The Jeep is 4000 pounds and about all I want to drag along behind our ford chassis motorhome. But it tows well and seems to want to go wherever we want to go.

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:05 PM   #3

Gary,

No we aren't full timing, however it is our domicile until we close on our new home.

As far as towing the Jeep, there may be a diifference in tow set up between a 12 and a 13 I'm not sure. We don't pull fuses nor do we leave the key in. Tows like a dream, I have had to back up also.....maybe 2 to 3' just to adjust at our camping spot. I am very very careful not to get jammed up anywhere to have to unhook to get out of a mess.

We have an exhaust break on our coach therefore I don't use an auxiliary break in the Jeep, I have had to do a couple of quick stops and have had no issues what so ever. (strike me down all auxiliary break believers) the Saharas curb weight is just under 3600 lbs. I always use the exhaust break when traveling through cities/towns and heavy traffic.
Seems to me, I am driving a 36,000 lb coach if I have to stop 'that' quick.....3600 lbs, breaks or not is not going to make one iota of difference (now the physicist strike me down)

In summary......we enjoy the heck out of it....except for the icemaker not working

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 06-12-2015, 04:21 PM   #4

As far as level towing, we do have a drop hitch....but with the factory tow hitch we are within tolerance. If I did use a drop hitch on our coach and went across a dip in the road it would dig in or drag.

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 06-12-2015, 04:31 PM   #5

We don't have our ice maker hooked up---don't run any filters on water system so don't drink the water or cook with it.

What we do for the ice maker is just keep a bag of ice in the freezer. When ice maker needs ice we just add from the bag in the freezer. ?? Works for us. Don't have to winterize ice maker either.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:43 PM   #6

We are ice bagging right now also, not so bad. We do drink the water from the refrigerator because that is double filtered....once when it comes in the coach and again at the refrigerator and that's only when hooked up to city water. Water from the faucets and any time we use the fresh water tank is strictly for showers, washing hands and toilets.

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 06-12-2015, 10:16 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

Hi, CSM -

Saw your post and wanted to add something. We tow a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited and you're right - tows great. I agree about not needing the braking in the Jeep, but be careful. A lot of states require the auxiliary braking for anything over a certain weight. I'm in Florida, travel mostly through GA, TN, AR and TX. I know the folks in GA are super picky about it if they catch you. Some states say anything over 1,000 lbs, others over 3,000 lbs. just thought you may want to check wherever you're traveling so as to not get in a bind. Stay safe.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #8
7 Year Class A RV'er

Check here for the tow brake regulations by state: http://www.brakebuddy.com/Towing-Laws

Old 06-12-2015, 10:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Hi, CSM -

Saw your post and wanted to add something. We tow a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited and you're right - tows great. I agree about not needing the braking in the Jeep, but be careful. A lot of states require the auxiliary braking for anything over a certain weight. I'm in Florida, travel mostly through GA, TN, AR and TX. I know the folks in GA are super picky about it if they catch you. Some states say anything over 1,000 lbs, others over 3,000 lbs. just thought you may want to check wherever you're traveling so as to not get in a bind. Stay safe.
Not trying to start a debate here, however nothing I have found requires a towed vehicle to have auxiliary break systems .....not saying the places I have checked are up to date either. My reference is the Blue Ox website.
If you look on their site at each state it will say 'break laws towed cars' then you will see 'no laws regarding' that was Georgia I used as the example. Most folks look at the trailer break requirements which are entirely different and for good reason. A much lighter vehicle is doing the towing where as it is just the opposite for a motorhome which in majority of cases is a much much heavier towing vehicle. Just my thoughts.
Thanks for your input.

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 06-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Check here for the tow brake regulations by state: Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
Check here also

Towing World Official Website

Brakebuddy does not distinguish, blue ox does

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 06-12-2015, 10:57 PM   #11
7 Year Class A RV'er

Thanks, CSM -
You're correct on GA; until recently I towed a car hauler and thus my statement on GA. I did, though, check FL and ZtN on your chart and they both require supplemental braking on a towed car. Really all depends on the state you're in. No debate, just wanted to be sure you were aware and it appears you are. Take care and happy towing.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:48 AM   #12

CMS Retired you're pulling a 2 door Jeep at that weight, is that correct?

I just checked mine and I thought it was 4012 but now I'm seeing for a 2012 4 door, the Mfg claimed (curb) weight it 4294. Amazing since I have to check the monitor just to be sure it's back there. I never really feel it though it drags a bit on steep grades.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
CMS Retired you're pulling a 2 door Jeep at that weight, is that correct?

I just checked mine and I thought it was 4012 but now I'm seeing for a 2012 4 door, the Mfg claimed (curb) weight it 4294. Amazing since I have to check the monitor just to be sure it's back there. I never really feel it though it drags a bit on steep grades.
My mistake......4055 lbs

'Pa Pa's Palace'