Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #1

Ideas to control heat inside coach?

Our first full day at the State Park. Its 97 outside and 83 inside. I have the cover over the front windshield - that helps but I can still feel the heat in the driver's area. Gotta think that isn't helping. What else can I do?

Also - the cab over is pretty warm too but I think that has more to do with the vents - I have 4 of them; 2 in the front part of the coach. Has anyone tried those insulation pads to put up in there? I had those vent covers on my TT so I never had noticed the heat build up before. I was trying not to go that route again but may consider if that is the concensus.

Looking for ideas - thanks in advance.

--Mickey
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Graduate Member

Go to hardware store.

Buy roll of Reflectix (I think it was about $20-$30)

Use scissors to cut appropriate shapes.

Instantly cooler.

Here's ours (which we did in the winter, but works just as well in summer)

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...dyi-34074.html
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post
Go to hardware store.

Buy roll of Reflectix (I think it was about $20-$30)

Use scissors to cut appropriate shapes.

Instantly cooler.

Here's ours (which we did in the winter, but works just as well in summer)

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...dyi-34074.html
So you hung yours around the inside of the cab from around the visor area? That worked? I was just thinking it would have needed to go up close to the window so you wouldn't have have a space for heat to accumulate in the cab.

So have you used yours in the summer time?

I did like you did vents. Nice job.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #4

x2 on the reflectix i also cut out ones for every window and vent. when it is hot and humid with no shade you need to be proactive and get the mh cooled down before the heat of the day kicks in
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
So you hung yours around the inside of the cab from around the visor area? That worked? I was just thinking it would have needed to go up close to the window so you wouldn't have have a space for heat to accumulate in the cab.

So have you used yours in the summer time?

I did like you did vents. Nice job.

Yep - we use it year around. On ours - a class C - there were little velcro like tabs built in - so I just bought some velcro stick on tabs. The difference is immediate and very noticeable. And don't worry about air-tight or even correct fit. Mine is about 5 inches off the floor for the front curtain, and the ones we put in the windows just slide in there - sometimes with an inch to spare on the sides.

Oh, and I also rigged upsome in the shower sunroof. I'm telling you - out of all our purchases, this has made the BIGGEST difference in our camping. It also was the cheapest.

As for the window/cab delineation - I'm sure it would work in the window just as well. But with a class C, we don't get into the driver's seat or dash when we camp. Plus with two curious boys ages 2 and 1, having it cover everything they could get into was just a plus for us.

One more thing (geez i'm chatty tonight) - this adds an R value. It's not much - but you should know that it's not JUST reflective of the sunlight. It also "reflects" your inner temp back inside. It's very cool. And very worth the $40 - even to experiment with.
2012 - 26 days

Old 08-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #6

You might also consider Relex-Air at; Buy Radiant Barrier & Reflective Foil Insulation - RadiantGUARDŽ
It reflects 96 percent radient heat and has a class A fire rating aong some of its attributes. From the manufacturer it is $99 for a 48 inch by 125 foot roll. You could split the costs between a few RVers that want to control heat. Also works to keep heat in when winter comes.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Yep - we use it year around. On ours - a class C - there were little velcro like tabs built in - so I just bought some velcro stick on tabs. The difference is immediate and very noticeable. And don't worry about air-tight or even correct fit. Mine is about 5 inches off the floor for the front curtain, and the ones we put in the windows just slide in there - sometimes with an inch to spare on the sides.

Oh, and I also rigged upsome in the shower sunroof. I'm telling you - out of all our purchases, this has made the BIGGEST difference in our camping. It also was the cheapest.

As for the window/cab delineation - I'm sure it would work in the window just as well. But with a class C, we don't get into the driver's seat or dash when we camp. Plus with two curious boys ages 2 and 1, having it cover everything they could get into was just a plus for us.

One more thing (geez i'm chatty tonight) - this adds an R value. It's not much - but you should know that it's not JUST reflective of the sunlight. It also "reflects" your inner temp back inside. It's very cool. And very worth the $40 - even to experiment with.
Well I bought some of the insulation squares at Walmart last night. So all 3 are covered in the coach with on the bathroom open. Still thinking I may buy 1 cover for that one so I can open when raining.

So this and the curtain helped today. At 1:30 before we left...temp was around 78 so it was much better. Alot of heat still in the driving area behind the curtain..so...I have my ROLL of REFLECTIX sitting right here in front of me...with some velcro tabs. Showed my wife the pics. She has a plan....thinking we will most likely cover the inside can like you did. Was originally thinking I would but inside up by the windows but thinking the over hang down will also keep the heat coming from the others areas of the driving compartments.

Any ways - will work on this week. We leave next Friday to go down to the beach. No shade but not quite as hot either. Problem will be the little grandkids keeping the door closed. But that's ok - I have also figured out the bedroom stays cool in the back.

Thanks for the awesome ideas.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #8

If you have an overcab bed with a flip-up section, put it down even if you won't be using the bed. Close the curtain. Hang a blanket from the bed to insulate the cab area from the coach.

Not knowing what your floorplan is, this may not be of any help, but if you can close off your bedroom, do so, and close the A/C vents going to it. Open it back up when the sun goes down and the A/C can catch up since the radiant heat from the sun is gone.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
Graduate Member

You can also use a free fix - put a pillow in the bathroom vent to act as an insultaion barrier.

And a quick suggestion - we just cut the refltix at 8ft, make sure you give yourself about an extra FOOT and then see how it fits.

And I'm still confused about why you're worried about how warm the front of the driver's area is getting? It's only a foot or so between the windshield and the reflectix and it's not an area that you'll be using anyway. But I can't see what you're seeing - so I'm sure I'm just misunderstanding.

Good luck! (and don't worry about airtight - it makes a huge difference just gently placing it in a window)
2012 - 26 days

Old 08-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Would think it better to put the Reflectix on the outside and keep the heat entirely out of the cab area.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #11

This doesn't apply to your present situation since you have been on site for a while, but when it's hot, I open the hood as soon as I can after we park. All of the engine heat has to go out through the radiator, through the hood (which is insulated), or through the firewall and "doghouse" into the coach. Opening the hood gives it a much easier path.

Also, I see no one has directly addressed your question about the vent plugs. We have them and they do help. If I take one down during hot weather, the shiny side (up, of course) will be hot but the fuzzy side will be cool.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #12

Quote:
You can also use a free fix - put a pillow in the bathroom vent to act as an insultaion barrier.

And a quick suggestion - we just cut the refltix at 8ft, make sure you give yourself about an extra FOOT and then see how it fits.

And I'm still confused about why you're worried about how warm the front of the driver's area is getting? It's only a foot or so between the windshield and the reflectix and it's not an area that you'll be using anyway. But I can't see what you're seeing - so I'm sure I'm just misunderstanding.

Good luck! (and don't worry about airtight - it makes a huge difference just gently placing it in a window)
Maybe I need to look at your pics again. Yours wasn't in the window was it. I thought it was just hanging down around the cabin area down 4 ft...all the way around. Your last statement leads me to believe you have some in the window too.

It's just that the area of air between the window and reflectix has to go some..ie...leaking out. And you are right, it is area that I won't use anyways. It just seems like I need to cool it, that's all. It's a flawed mind set.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
Maybe I need to look at your pics again. Yours wasn't in the window was it. I thought it was just hanging down around the cabin area down 4 ft...all the way around. Your last statement leads me to believe you have some in the window too.

It's just that the area of air between the window and reflectix has to go some..ie...leaking out. And you are right, it is area that I won't use anyways. It just seems like I need to cool it, that's all. It's a flawed mind set.

Yep - we hadn't put the reflectix in the windows yet when I took the pics. But I'll tell ya what we did - first I cut oversized window cut-outs of reflectix. I measured the window and then left a couple inches extra all around, thinking - as you are - the tighter the fit the better the insulation and a loose fit will be meaningless.

No Velcro on these as the blinds w/ the strings held then in place securely. The problem we discovered was that it was difficult to remove the reflectix should we ever want some light or a view. But we stuck with it for about 6 months. The only other issue was that during travel they'd slide just an inch or two down, and then it was a pain to gently hold the blinds out and down while pushing the "cut too big for better insulation" reflectix back up.

So in the spring I removed the tight window reflectix and just tried some that were cut just a hair SHORTER than the window all the way around. Basically it sits in between the window and the blind and doesn't fall - but it's not tight around the edges.

It worked just as well!

I kept in mind that this is a MH I'm dealing with - so nothing is going to be airtight. While I'm sure there is some miniscule difference in temp - we never noticed and using the looser fit meant set up took seconds - not 10 minutes. And I can also move the reflectix from east to west during the day and still easily pull up a shade and have a view.

In total - here is what I insulate every camping trip:

1 - front cab curtain (and I like that idea of opening the hood)
2 - master bedroom large windows (but not the little ports on the slide)
3 - whichever living room window is getting sun (east/west)
4 - shower skylight
5 - door window (depending on heat and direction)

1-5 is all reflectix

6 - living room vent with my attic fan cover magnetic cover
7 - master bedroom vent with a seat cushion
8 - bathroom vent with pillow (also have used reflectix stuffed up there, but it's more difficult to get in place as i haven't attached any magnets or velcro to it yet)

I've also tried the pool noodles cut in half and stuffed under the slide-outs. I didn't really notice a big difference, but I'm sure it helps.

But I have to say - even loose fitting window covers, a cab cover that doesn't reach all the way down or around, a 'hot pocket' between windshield and the cab reflectix, and some old pillows in the vents - our drafty motorhome that cycled the AC or heater every 10 minutes suddenly became easily cooled/heated and felt cozy.

With that dramatic of a difference - i'm not worried about airtight or well fitting.
2012 - 26 days

Old 08-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
Graduate Member

One other thing - all of my reflectix covers roll up and fit behind our couch.
2012 - 26 days

Old 08-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #15

Quote:
One other thing - all of my reflectix covers roll up and fit behind our couch.
Well we are definitely going to attack the cab for next weekend. Still not sure if I may do both around the windows but for sure around the inner edge of the cab as you have shown.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #16
Graduate Member

The difference will be immediate - even just that one piece. Have fun!
2012 - 26 days

Old 08-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #17

Thought I would post an update pic of our handy work last night.

We leave today for the long weekend. Plans are to try this out and see how it does. Improvement plans are to cut some squares for the vent, insulation squares(to put on top of). We may also cut out for the windows as desired/wanted - personally don't like looks in the windows so it will boil down to this being a necessity first.

It also dawned on me why I didn't turn on the vehicle A/C last weekend when I had my initial heat problems. That cab cools down really quick blowing full blast to get things back under control. However, won't have to do that now with the Reflectix in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Aug 29, 8 49 43 PM.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	38895