Old 08-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #1

Ideas to control heat inside coach?

Our first full day at the State Park. Its 97 outside and 83 inside. I have the cover over the front windshield - that helps but I can still feel the heat in the driver's area. Gotta think that isn't helping. What else can I do?

Also - the cab over is pretty warm too but I think that has more to do with the vents - I have 4 of them; 2 in the front part of the coach. Has anyone tried those insulation pads to put up in there? I had those vent covers on my TT so I never had noticed the heat build up before. I was trying not to go that route again but may consider if that is the concensus.

Looking for ideas - thanks in advance.

--Mickey

Old 08-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Graduate Member

Go to hardware store.

Buy roll of Reflectix (I think it was about $20-$30)

Use scissors to cut appropriate shapes.

Instantly cooler.

Here's ours (which we did in the winter, but works just as well in summer)

RV insulation mods winter/summer DYI

2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post
Go to hardware store.

Buy roll of Reflectix (I think it was about $20-$30)

Use scissors to cut appropriate shapes.

Instantly cooler.

Here's ours (which we did in the winter, but works just as well in summer)

RV insulation mods winter/summer DYI
So you hung yours around the inside of the cab from around the visor area? That worked? I was just thinking it would have needed to go up close to the window so you wouldn't have have a space for heat to accumulate in the cab.

So have you used yours in the summer time?

I did like you did vents. Nice job.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #4

x2 on the reflectix i also cut out ones for every window and vent. when it is hot and humid with no shade you need to be proactive and get the mh cooled down before the heat of the day kicks in
Old 08-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
So you hung yours around the inside of the cab from around the visor area? That worked? I was just thinking it would have needed to go up close to the window so you wouldn't have have a space for heat to accumulate in the cab.

So have you used yours in the summer time?

I did like you did vents. Nice job.

Yep - we use it year around. On ours - a class C - there were little velcro like tabs built in - so I just bought some velcro stick on tabs. The difference is immediate and very noticeable. And don't worry about air-tight or even correct fit. Mine is about 5 inches off the floor for the front curtain, and the ones we put in the windows just slide in there - sometimes with an inch to spare on the sides.

Oh, and I also rigged upsome in the shower sunroof. I'm telling you - out of all our purchases, this has made the BIGGEST difference in our camping. It also was the cheapest.

As for the window/cab delineation - I'm sure it would work in the window just as well. But with a class C, we don't get into the driver's seat or dash when we camp. Plus with two curious boys ages 2 and 1, having it cover everything they could get into was just a plus for us.

One more thing (geez i'm chatty tonight) - this adds an R value. It's not much - but you should know that it's not JUST reflective of the sunlight. It also "reflects" your inner temp back inside. It's very cool. And very worth the $40 - even to experiment with.
2012 - 26 days

Old 08-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #6

You might also consider Relex-Air at; Buy Radiant Barrier & Reflective Foil Insulation - RadiantGUARD®
It reflects 96 percent radient heat and has a class A fire rating aong some of its attributes. From the manufacturer it is $99 for a 48 inch by 125 foot roll. You could split the costs between a few RVers that want to control heat. Also works to keep heat in when winter comes.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post
Yep - we use it year around. On ours - a class C - there were little velcro like tabs built in - so I just bought some velcro stick on tabs. The difference is immediate and very noticeable. And don't worry about air-tight or even correct fit. Mine is about 5 inches off the floor for the front curtain, and the ones we put in the windows just slide in there - sometimes with an inch to spare on the sides.

Oh, and I also rigged upsome in the shower sunroof. I'm telling you - out of all our purchases, this has made the BIGGEST difference in our camping. It also was the cheapest.

As for the window/cab delineation - I'm sure it would work in the window just as well. But with a class C, we don't get into the driver's seat or dash when we camp. Plus with two curious boys ages 2 and 1, having it cover everything they could get into was just a plus for us.

One more thing (geez i'm chatty tonight) - this adds an R value. It's not much - but you should know that it's not JUST reflective of the sunlight. It also "reflects" your inner temp back inside. It's very cool. And very worth the $40 - even to experiment with.
Well I bought some of the insulation squares at Walmart last night. So all 3 are covered in the coach with on the bathroom open. Still thinking I may buy 1 cover for that one so I can open when raining.

So this and the curtain helped today. At 1:30 before we left...temp was around 78 so it was much better. Alot of heat still in the driving area behind the curtain..so...I have my ROLL of REFLECTIX sitting right here in front of me...with some velcro tabs. Showed my wife the pics. She has a plan....thinking we will most likely cover the inside can like you did. Was originally thinking I would but inside up by the windows but thinking the over hang down will also keep the heat coming from the others areas of the driving compartments.

Any ways - will work on this week. We leave next Friday to go down to the beach. No shade but not quite as hot either. Problem will be the little grandkids keeping the door closed. But that's ok - I have also figured out the bedroom stays cool in the back.

Thanks for the awesome ideas.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #8

If you have an overcab bed with a flip-up section, put it down even if you won't be using the bed. Close the curtain. Hang a blanket from the bed to insulate the cab area from the coach.

Not knowing what your floorplan is, this may not be of any help, but if you can close off your bedroom, do so, and close the A/C vents going to it. Open it back up when the sun goes down and the A/C can catch up since the radiant heat from the sun is gone.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
Graduate Member

You can also use a free fix - put a pillow in the bathroom vent to act as an insultaion barrier.

And a quick suggestion - we just cut the refltix at 8ft, make sure you give yourself about an extra FOOT and then see how it fits.

And I'm still confused about why you're worried about how warm the front of the driver's area is getting? It's only a foot or so between the windshield and the reflectix and it's not an area that you'll be using anyway. But I can't see what you're seeing - so I'm sure I'm just misunderstanding.

Good luck! (and don't worry about airtight - it makes a huge difference just gently placing it in a window)
2012 - 26 days

Old 08-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Would think it better to put the Reflectix on the outside and keep the heat entirely out of the cab area.