Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #1

I'm here for the bad stuff on Cross Country 404RB

I've been looking around for a motorhome going back and forth between a gasser and a Diesel and recently came across the Cross Country 404RB. I never looked at it before because in the writeup it said "bunk"! And I had no interest in a bunk model with 6 feet of floorspace dedicated to bunkbeds that I don't need.

Imagine my surprise when I accidentally clicked on it and didn't see the dedicated bunk area! Since then I've been looking for the "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly of the 404RB and the Coachman Cross Country in general? I've not been having any luck in the Bad and Ugly department. I even looked around for bad news on the Azdel walls and found nothing but good news!

You guys are my last bastion of hope, please tell me all the terrible things I need to know???

Oh, you can even tell me good things!
H-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:37 PM   #2
World Wide Wanderer

Not familiar with that particular unit, however I can vouch for the Azdel, it is a huge improvement over the old luan stuff.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #3

I may telling you something you already know (your post made it sound like you never found the "bunks.") The "bunks" appear to be a fold down dream dinette, a fold out couch, and a drop down bunk across the top of the first two. See pics here:

New 2016 Sportscoach Cross Country

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #4

I'm sorry I guess i wasn't very clear. I know where the drop down bunk is. I'm just trying to find out about the coach? There doesn't seem to be much written about it good or bad. I'm interested and looking for more information.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #5

I bought my 2016 404rb this past march-taken it out twice so far-third time later this month. I did a lot of research on class a and fell in love with the 404rb especially when fully openned on how big inside it looks-not so happy when fully closed. We took whole family of 7 to galveston for the 4th from Dallas and 2 grand kids slepted in the slide down bunks-3 adults on sofas and kitchen dropped down table , my wife and I on the king. The only problem I had was the front ac unit- we had auto at 67 all the time and front never got below 75-which is ok during day coming in from the heat but at night not as good. Back ac unit very cold. They are looking at mine as I type! I have put about 2,000 miles on mine-as we drive generator on for ac and put cruise on 65-getting 9.2 mpg. The value that I received when I bought from MHSRV was at the starting of the third year depreciation-so I felt real good on my purchase. I hope u enjoy yours. We have 4 of us leaving Dallas on 10/10 and making our way to Gilf Shores AL. for the shrimp fest-home on 10/17
msbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #6

Hi msbaker and thanks for your reply.

I've not been able to find many owners of the 404RB and appreciate your comments. Those who have responded have had nothing but good things to say about the coach which is great!

You said "not so happy when fully closed"! It's my understanding that a coach at minimum has the 1/2 bath, refrigerator and kitchen area available while underway. Is the not true of the 404RB?

Thanks again for your reply.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #7

yes that is the case-you can get to them. I have seen other coaches closed up and it seems they have maybe 2 feet width-I think ours might b 1 foot. I love it anyway.Retiring end of year and plan to use it a lot.
msbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #8
JYD

Cross Country 360 DL 2016

No bunks but had my 360DL a year with 8000 miles. Only problem was the furnace. There was a recall and wired wrong at factory. Great product. Have also noticed not many questions about Cross Country. Which is good!!
JYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #9

That's the truth JYD, trouble with Coachman products is a closely guarded secret. Must be a very good brand and I'm surprised how long it took me to find out!
Old 08-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #10
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Man View Post
That's the truth JYD, trouble with Coachman products is a closely guarded secret. Must be a very good brand and I'm surprised how long it took me to find out!
Coachmen has been around a long time, they went under the FR umbrella back around 2008. They started in 1964 building travel trailers and truck caps.

I have a Coachmen Concord 300DS and am very happy with the it for the most part. There have been a couple of things that made me stop and wonder WTH? But all the major stuff has been fine and we are happy with it.

As far as appliances and other items, the stuff supplied by outside vendors is a crap shoot. FR/Coachmen can specify what they want, but they are at the mercy of what the vendor's have for sale.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:00 PM   #11

We got ours in March and really like it.
Some small things like lug nut covers came off on our way home but called MHSRV and they sent replacements.
AC on dash needed a new control knob we got that fixed at a local RV dealer under Warrenty
Compared to some of the stories I have read about others buying new RVs ours had minimal issues.
The bunk beds being overhead is nice for us since we will not be using them and did not have to waste floor space. Still think they will be a beni for resale since unit sleeps 8. Great family unit.
A lot of higher end option like auto start gen.
MHSRV include all options when ordering their units.
farmenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:22 PM   #12
WDW

Were a step down with a Mirada but all Coachmen A's are built at Plant 310. A separate facility from the main plant. We just had a private tour and saw SC, Mirada's and P's in production. They only build 4 to 6 coaches per day. The really do a wonderful job and take s lot of pride.

I too wondered why you never hear much as compared to other rigs. I guess my take is that they only build 1,000 units per year, they do it very well and folks get a great product for the price. Hopefully no one will find out and ruin the party!

Life is always better under a Palm tree...

2016 Mirada 35BH "Trolley"
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Previous- Jayco Greyhawk 31FK

Western NY
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #13

Hello all. I am new to the forum. I have been kicking around the idea of a DP to replace my bumper pull. After looking at a lot of floor plans, the 404RB looks like a great one for my family of seven. However, the 340HP Cummins is a bit of a concern. Have any of you towed a vehicle with it? I would need something with a curb weight between 4000 and 4500Lb to seat everyone (maybe a Flex), and I am thinking that might be pushing the limits of this coach. Can anyone comment on this?

Second question: are there are any places to get decent service in the Houston area?

Thanks!
txjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #14

Cross Country 404RB

if you ever want a plant tour, call me and we'll hook you up with a tour of the plant. If you have any particular questions on Sportscoach Cross Country, call 800-353-7383, ext 8543. All calls transfer to my cell phone so if I don't answer, please leave a message. Thanks for all the feedback. We all take pride in what we do!
Joe
SCJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #15

I pull a Jeep Wrangler with no issues. Can't drag race but I did not get it for that. From Texas to S Dakota on one trip this summer and topped Ratan pass at 40 mph. Another trip to Florida. I usually set the cruise at 65-70 mph. We are very pleased!
mark10361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #16

I also live in NW Houston. Got the first service at Speedco. Not impressed. I plan on doing the rest myself.
mark10361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:17 AM   #17

Hi folks,

Would one of you have have a picture of the coach with the slides in by any chance? I don't have a dealer that's close and the picture would really be helpful!

Thank you