Old 03-08-2015, 07:01 PM   #31
L2R

I will dig deeper into this. I want to understand how this work and whether it could happen while on the road.

This happened when parked and unattended. Maybe it can't happen with engine running or something but I need to understand this to feel better about it before I take off again.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:09 PM   #32

either way, it should have a safety switch which automatically kills it, fail safe off, other wise there is a potential no matter where that it could happen, obviously there is potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2R View Post
I will dig deeper into this. I want to understand how this work and whether it could happen while on the road.

This happened when parked and unattended. Maybe it can't happen with engine running or something but I need to understand this to feel better about it before I take off again.

hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:11 AM   #33
L2R

I agree, I have to believe that there is some fail safe that holds the slides in place when in motion or power is on;however, the one who called me about it could not explain how that worked or if it existed. He agreed that it may not be best to drive it until repaired. That disturbed about the unit but this may not have been a mechanic but it reflects either the lack of safety of the unit or lack of knowledge on the person who explained it to me. I have to think there is a fail safe but I am not driving it until I understand it.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #34
Former Full Timer

The schwintek motors hold the slide. There is an interlock for the awning,
slide and levelup integrated into the coach build. Short circuit, frayed wires or cut wires and all bets are off as to what can happen.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #35
L2R

I read somewhere else but could not find it later that it was something in the stop/sensor something.

thanks for the information. I drove it 20 miles with no issues so no idea really what it was or if there is a mechanical lock while in motion or just electricity. Sounds like electricity is it. Not smart.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:34 PM   #36
Former Full Timer

This may help you gain a better understanding of how the schwintek works.

https://lci1.com/images/support/manu...on-service.pdf

There are also a number of youtube videos posted by "Lippert University" that can show you how to.
Elbert Hubbard
Old 03-10-2015, 07:18 AM   #37

where and when does the slide stop bar used, or was that just for shipment from the factory
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:26 AM   #38
Former Full Timer

"...the slide stop bar..." ???? If you are referring to the tech sheet linked above, it is something you construct in an emergency.

There are slide locks that are manufactured that can be used if you feel that you need them. I also have read in irv2 where WBGO has been providing them to folks. I will try to find a link for that...

Edit: Found it...
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/lipp...-179607-6.html

If anyone experiences a slide extension while in motion it needs to be reported to NHTSA. If there are enough reports a fix will happen.
Elbert Hubbard
Old 03-10-2015, 06:15 PM   #39
L2R

great information Duck.

I have read thru it and as soon as I get it back, I will be making some slide locks from 2x4s and carpeting.

This will create some risk as it becomes possible to do damage forgetting to remove them. Not sure where the weak point would be but I will feel better with them in place while driving.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #40
L2R

So now I have a new, deluxe stinky slinky, a safe-t-plus, back bumper end caps, interior LED lights for all the interior roof lights and....................

no RV.

Hope to get it back soon, get it de-winterized and modified....it is starting to feel like I am having withdrawal symptoms....

Thanks Duck for the info on the slide motors, I printed it out and will go into my RV notebook for future reference.