Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2016, 11:54 AM   #1

Installed Central Vac in 2016 Leprechaun

This morning, my wife and I installed a Dirt Devil Vroom CV1500 RV central vacuum system in our 2016 Leprechaun 319DS. Installation was very simple, but we did take time to decide on what was best for our setup, and ended up installing the main unit under the U-shaped dinette's rear seat.

After doing a basic layout, I decided I'd like the inlet hidden, and there came a bit of a challenge. Earlier this year, we pulled our jackknife sofa, and installed Coachman's theater-seating/recliners, which we love. In my mind, I could see installing the hose-end of the unit behind the left recliner, since there was very adequate clearance there, and the hose inlet would be hidden from view.

I used a roto-zip and cut two holes through the partitions; one dinette partition, and the one between the dinette and the recliners. We did a 'dry run' to see that everything fit, and that there were no severe bends in the hose -- all was fine. Using the provided PVC fittings, we did a layout of the base unit, and put the hose into position, as it would be if actually installed. All was well there, too.

With everything in place and checked and double-checked, we finished the installation. Though the unit has a plug-end cord, I cut that, and tied directly into the wiring that's under the right side of the dinette. When we were done, we fired it up and everything worked as intended.

Here's the skinny on the hose you see in the photo. It's 8' long, and 2" diameter, and inside of it is a smaller diameter hose that is 35' long -- reaches everywhere, of course. In the second photo, you see a green-colored end, and that's where you add the cleaning attachments after pulling the inner hose out (hope I haven't confused you yet!). There's also an on-off switch there, as well as a latch that captures the amount of hose you want out, or so that it can pull back in on its own. When you are done vacuuming, you just place your palm over that green part, and the 35' of inner hose self stores, slick as can be.

I made a mess with my hole cutting, and the new vac took care of that in a jiffy -- a very powerful unit, and low noise for so much power. In all, it took us about two hours, but an hour of that was 'thinking time' and hole cutting.

I think we're going to love it, and since we spend 6 months out of the year in the Coachman, vacuuming is now much easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Overhead View.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	118418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inlet End.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	118419  

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:03 PM   #2

I am trying to think where one of those would fit in our rig..What size is the actual unit?

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:12 PM   #3

Thinking under the bed..

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Old 08-25-2016, 08:13 PM   #4

I got the dimensions,,also looking at the Dometic..

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Old 08-26-2016, 07:50 PM   #5
World Wide Wanderer

Wonder how much room is under the bed...

I am also thinking that under the rearward side of the dinette might work for me too. Have to get the dimensions and take a look at it later this year.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #6
Dahagen

I installed a Dirt Devil CV1500 RV vacuum and it looks completely different from yours. What is the device in the bottom picture? I put mine under the dinette seat and put the outlet (just an electrical outlet sized plate) on the back of the dinette seat. This site shows the entire unit, except the hose between the vacuum and the outlet.
Dirt Devil® Central Vacuum for RV's and Boats
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #7
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
I installed a Dirt Devil CV1500 RV vacuum and it looks completely different from yours. What is the device in the bottom picture? I put mine under the dinette seat and put the outlet (just an electrical outlet sized plate) on the back of the dinette seat. This site shows the entire unit, except the hose between the vacuum and the outlet.
He has the Vroom hose attachment it was OEM up until fairly recently. I like the concept, just not sure about it yet.

I will probably go with the system you installed.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #8
Dahagen

Here are pix of installed unit. Fits perfect under dinette seat in my Mirada. I store the hose under the seat next to the vacuum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dd.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	382.5 KB
ID:	118745   Click image for larger version

Name:	dd2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	118746  
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:17 AM   #9

Nice looking installation, Badlands. I had the basic central vac in my TT and kept that when I traded up to the Pursuit. I picked up the Vroom accessory and have been looking at the best way to install the system in the motorhome. I was thinking of putting the vac unit in the storage bay under the kitchen sink (there's already power there for the DVD player for the outside TV), then bringing the hose up through that cabinet and mounting the "business end" of of the hose behind the cabinet door. But after seeing your install I like how it fits under the rear seat of the U-shaped dinette. I have that dinette as well, and plan to build drawers under each of the side seats, but that will still leave wasted space under the rear seat. If I can figure out a good place to mount the hose end I may do something similar to what you did. Thanks for sharing!

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2019: 76
pashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
It doesn't appear that you bought the VROOM model, which has a self-storing hose (the inner hose is 35' long). We've been camped all week, and with a hundred pound Lab, and the two of us, we bring in plenty of 'the world outside' on our feet. Absolutely LOVE the VROOM, and we've used it every day this week -- so easy. Hit the On button, pull out the hose, and add desired attachment. To store the hose, I just place two fingers across the hose end and away it goes. Really a slick unit.

As a side note, the power unit we have is the same as the one you have, and can be mounted horizontally or vertically. Our unit was $300, and that included free shipping, and it's as powerful as advertised. Very pleased with it, and very neat looking install on your's, too.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashooter View Post
Nice looking installation, Badlands. I had the basic central vac in my TT and kept that when I traded up to the Pursuit. I picked up the Vroom accessory and have been looking at the best way to install the system in the motorhome. I was thinking of putting the vac unit in the storage bay under the kitchen sink (there's already power there for the DVD player for the outside TV), then bringing the hose up through that cabinet and mounting the "business end" of of the hose behind the cabinet door. But after seeing your install I like how it fits under the rear seat of the U-shaped dinette. I have that dinette as well, and plan to build drawers under each of the side seats, but that will still leave wasted space under the rear seat. If I can figure out a good place to mount the hose end I may do something similar to what you did. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you, Pashooter. For us, the hose end location we chose was perfect. It's impossible for anyone to see where it's mounted, and the wood side of the recliner is a good 3/4" thick; solid as a rock where the hose-end assembly is mounted. As noted in another post of mine, we've been using it each day this week. It's so darn easy, especially without needing to drag a regular vac out, plug it in, attach a hose, etc. We just reach behind the recliner, hit the switch and pull the hose out. When we installed it, my wife couldn't believe that there was 35' of hose stored inside the 8' outer hose, but there sure is. You're going to love your VROOM!

Old 09-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
He has the Vroom hose attachment it was OEM up until fairly recently. I like the concept, just not sure about it yet.

I will probably go with the system you installed.

Aaron
You're correct, I too, understand that it's fairly new, other than OEM factory installs. In our former brick and mortar home, we had a Beam central vacuum system, and this Dirt Devil seems just as powerful, and there's no hose to store or get in the way.

Once a person sees how powerful it is, and easy to use -- especially the self-storing hose -- I think more folks will be looking at similar set-ups. Here's a link that may prove helpful: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Dirt-...ose-p/9775.htm

Old 09-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #13

Looks like eBay is cheaper than Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Looks like eBay is cheaper than Amazon.

I may be incorrect (as often happens!) but I don't believe the VROOM model is on eBay, or Amazon. The model with the separate hose is on each of those sites, though.

To be clear, so I don't confuse anyone, the VROOM stores its hose within its assembly -- it's all one integral two-part hose. There's nothing to 'put away' except whatever attachments you've used. On the other model, you remove the hose and store it separately, and that's great, too, but I really like not having a hose to hook up and remove, and then store somewhere in the motorhome when I'm done. I'm certain both models have their advantages and disadvantages, but the one we have best fit our wants and needs.

A great Labor Day Holiday to all! Be safe!

Old 09-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #15

These are the ones I saw on a quick search. I been thinking about one for a while.

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472869219.092291.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	119268

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472869238.128021.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	119269

Old 09-02-2016, 09:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
These are the ones I saw on a quick search. I been thinking about one for a while.

Attachment 119268
Attachment 119269

That one's very different from my unit, and the text states that it must be connected to an existing central vac system. I copied and pasted the text from the link you supplied:

Vroom Central Vacuum Cleaner Under The Counter Retractable 24 Ft Hose
Install under the counter in the kitchen or bathroom ands when needed just pull hose and it activates the main central vacuum cleaner unit.
Great for quick pick ups. 21.86 deep x 16.25 high x 3.25 wide.
Installation required to attach to existing central vacuum cleaner and wall outlet
Under Counter Retractable Hose Unit

The system I purchased is complete with everything, not an add-on to an existing unit.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
That one's very different from my unit, and the text states that it must be connected to an existing central vac system. I copied and pasted the text from the link you supplied:

Vroom Central Vacuum Cleaner Under The Counter Retractable 24 Ft Hose

Install under the counter in the kitchen or bathroom ands when needed just pull hose and it activates the main central vacuum cleaner unit.

Great for quick pick ups. 21.86 deep x 16.25 high x 3.25 wide.

Installation required to attach to existing central vacuum cleaner and wall outlet

Under Counter Retractable Hose Unit

The system I purchased is complete with everything, not an add-on to an existing unit.

Cool. I will check these out when I get closer. Thanks

Old 09-03-2016, 05:50 AM   #18

Here's the unit Badlands installed... and the one I have and am planning to install. I got mine here:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Dirt-...ose-p/9775.htm

They also sell just the VroomRV hose assembly which is what I purchased, as I already had the CV1500 power unit from my previous travel trailer installation.

(I see now that Badlands previously supplied the same link I posted above)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VroomRV.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	119280  

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2019: 76
pashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashooter View Post
Here's the unit Badlands installed... and the one I have and am planning to install. I got mine here:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Dirt-...ose-p/9775.htm

They also sell just the VroomRV hose assembly which is what I purchased, as I already had the CV1500 power unit from my previous travel trailer installation.

(I see now that Badlands previously supplied the same link I posted above)
Correct on all counts, Pashooter. The connection end of the 2" hose - the end that actually connects to the power head - comes with a long connection hose (8' or so), and you cut that hose to the length you need for your individual set-up. With my setup, I only needed less than a foot, but the added length would be especially nice for anyone wanting to mount the power unit in a more remote location, such as a storage locker below floor level, etc.

The only other thing needed for the install that's not supplied is PVC sealant/adhesive, which I had from another PVC project.

Tags
led