Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2018, 09:00 PM   #1

Jensen Radio JCD 3010 on Cochmen Mirada

I have a 2012 32DS Mirada. My radio will not turn on after pressing the
power switch. Does anybody experience this problem and what did you do
to fix it?
narsbsr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:07 PM   #2

I have a 2013 Mirada and it came with the same radio. It quit a couple of years ago so I went to the nearest Best Buy and bought a new radio. I don't remember what was wrong, I think it just lost all sound. I have the ability to wire it in so is was no big deal.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:33 PM   #3

Jensen radio JCD3010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk510 View Post
I have a 2013 Mirada and it came with the same radio. It quit a couple of years ago so I went to the nearest Best Buy and bought a new radio. I don't remember what was wrong, I think it just lost all sound. I have the ability to wire it in so is was no big deal.
Mr jk510. What brand radio did you buy at Best Buy? Did you have to buy a
a new wiring harness? Was it easy to wire the new radio to your Mirada?
Old 02-12-2018, 12:22 AM   #4

I bought a Pioneer. It came with a plug with wires of about 12". I then cut the Jensen plug off and wired the new one in its place. Also had to remove the metal surround (I don't know what else to call it) that goes into the dash that the radio slides into.
Other than the wires the hardest part may be removing the radio from the dash. They usually require a tool to release the radio. Usually it is a thin metal piece that slides down the side, you will need 2. I happened to have the tools, I think they came in the bag with the manuals.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #5

Jensen radio JCD3010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk510 View Post
I bought a Pioneer. It came with a plug with wires of about 12". I then cut the Jensen plug off and wired the new one in its place. Also had to remove the metal surround (I don't know what else to call it) that goes into the dash that the radio slides into.
Other than the wires the hardest part may be removing the radio from the dash. They usually require a tool to release the radio. Usually it is a thin metal piece that slides down the side, you will need 2. I happened to have the tools, I think they came in the bag with the manuals.
Thanks for the reply on the Jensen radio. I will buy a Pioneer car radio. Do you
remember what is the model of the radio? Is the color code of the Pioneer wire harness the same as the Jensen? I am not savvy on electronics so I am afraid of toasting the Pioneer radio if I mis-wire it. Is there a label on each wire on the Pioneer harness that I need to match with the Jensen wires?
Old 02-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #6

I don't recall what model I got but that is not real important. All you need to look for is one the right size and with the features that you want.
The radios they sell are all meant to replace one and come with instructions. The wire colors are pretty much standardized throughout the industry.
Something to remember is that that Jensen was also an aftermarket radio.
Joel
Old 02-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #7

If you're getting NO power then I'd pull the radio out and check the FUSE on the RED wire. There is also a 15amp
FUSE on the BACK side of the radio that should be checked.
The Jensen is a standard DIN sized unit and if a fuse is not the answer, then a new unit is needed. Assuming you want another radio with CD player...I'd recommend the kenwood excelon kdc-x702...try Crutchfield.com. That will give you significantly better sound and features than the Jensen for about 179.
But if that is beyond the budget there's lots of stuff down around 100 bucks that will be fine. Good luck.
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X702

2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:00 PM   #8

If you were satisfied with the Jensen before it took a dump, you may want to check for a blown fuse or shorted wire. You will have to do that anyway if installing a new head unit. Could save a few bucks.

The head units that come in RVs are referred to as "double din" head units. Double din means they are typically twice the height of a normal stereo radio. The normal size of the screen is 7" diagonal measure in an RV. Some newer rigs may have larger screens. They are available with/without GPS. If you want the GPS to be very detailed in locating campgrounds, or something camping specific, you may choose to use a stand alone GPS and have a basic head unit.

There are a ton of double din head units on the market. The vast majority are made in China. Read the descriptions carefully as it is very easy to overlook the details. This is an example of one Pioneer head unit without GPS and the second one with GPS:

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-X...din+car+stereo

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVIC-...ith+navigation

We have two Pioneer head units with GPS, one in a 4-yr old Silverado and one installed a year ago in a Jeep Liberty. In our experience, neither holds a candle to our several year old Garmin stand alone GPS. Both head units work very well for the rear view cameras.

Neither head unit was difficult to install. The wires are coded and labeled. The directions are not bad.

For the Jensen head unit, look in your RV manuals package for 2 rigid formed wires about 6" long. They should be with the Jensen radio manual. They may be in the glove box. These are the "tools" that slide in between each radio side and the housing box. They slide in to release the catch on either side. Some owners have uses a very thin knife on each side. When we got our camper, we had no idea what those formed wires were for and threw them away. We found they were available on live "Jensen head unit removal tool".
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
The head units that come in RVs are referred to as "double din" head units. Double din means they are typically twice the height of a normal stereo radio.
PenJoe...he gave us the model number. It is a single DIN basic CD radio.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
PenJoe...he gave us the model number. It is a single DIN basic CD radio.
Ya' we crossed paths on the reply.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #11

Jensen radio

Thank you all for your advice. The 15 amp fuse on the Jensen radio is good. I will check the fuse on the red wire. If the fuse is okay, I will buy a single DIN radio. I appreciate your help.
Have a good day.

Tags
jensen, radio