Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #1

Large sliding window latch and aluminum strip falls off

The aluminum strip with the window latch on the large sliding window has fallen off and I can't get it back on.

The latch is mounted on an extruded aluminum strip (right in picture) which goes over rubber gasket (left in picture) which is on the edge of the window. Without the aluminum strip on the window it is very difficult to open the window since the strip provides something to grab the window.

The problem is the channel on extruded aluminum strip must have been too large and the strip pulled off. I have made the channel smaller and now the strip won't go on the window (with gasket). I want to open up the channel to fit the window (plus gasket) but I'm afraid it will come off again (being too loose).

Has anyone seen this problem and if so how did you correct it?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180721_195035.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	505.3 KB
ID:	180921   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180721_195112.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	180922  
125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:44 PM   #2

I'm having the SAME problem... Somebody's gotta know an answer!
bbagley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbagley2 View Post
I'm having the SAME problem... Somebody's gotta know an answer!
No takers yet
125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:30 AM   #4

This happens to me ALL the time. It is crappy design really. Here’s what i do, but your mileage may vary...

1) You will need a dead fall vinyl/plastic hammer and some hair spray for this.
2) My windows have an aluminum latch that has a rubber strip inside the latch bar. If you don’t have this same set up, this won’t work.

Procedure

1) Pull rubber strip out And coat it in hair spray, inside and out. Do this over the sink.
2) Immediately install the rubber strip inside the latch bar while still wet.
3) Carefully put the latch bar over the window ensuring that the rubber is over the window and not stuck inside the latch bar.
4) Once you are sure the rubber piece is inside the bar AND the rubber strip extends over the window, press the latch bar on the window as far as you can. It is easiest to do this with the screen out of the way.
5) Once the latch bar is started on the window, gently tap on the latch bar until it seats on the window. You will probably have to tap top, the bottom, then middle to get it to go on evenly.
6) You might have to do step 4-5 a few times to get it right. I have gotten pretty good at it.
7) Once the latch bar is probably seated, clean the window.
8) Do not try to open/close window until hairspray has dried.

Hope this helps. I have to do this this every few trips, usually at the most inoportune time.

Good luck!!!
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #5

Wow! Thanks. I have a sliding up/down window that fell out of the bracket. I have not been using it for 2 months. I will try your fix and see how it goes and let you know. First I need to go buy a plastic hammer.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, window