Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2019, 05:54 PM   #1

Leprechaun 2018 - How to fill water tank while boondocking

I am an experienced RVer but this is my first coachmen. They are a little different. Anyway I have had this RV, a 2018 Leprechaun, for about a year, I know how to fill the water tank using a water hose. I also know how to pump anti freeze into the RV using the Leprechaun's water pump to winterize it (bypassing the water tank and hot water heater).

The problem I have is I cannot figure out how to fill the fresh water tank using a bucket, hose and the Leprechaun's water pump. Connected a short hose to the black connector (weird) which runs into a bucket of water, value turned to "tank fill" and the fresh water tank value open. When I start the water pump all it does is pull some water out of the bucket but then shuts off when the water system gets pressured up.

I had to buy a external water pump to pump water out of the bucket and into the water tank.

What am I missing? Surely the Leprechaun can do this yes?

Patrick
PatrickH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
I am an experienced RVer but this is my first coachmen. They are a little different. Anyway I have had this RV, a 2018 Leprechaun, for about a year, I know how to fill the water tank using a water hose. I also know how to pump anti freeze into the RV using the Leprechaun's water pump to winterize it (bypassing the water tank and hot water heater).

The problem I have is I cannot figure out how to fill the fresh water tank using a bucket, hose and the Leprechaun's water pump. Connected a short hose to the black connector (weird) which runs into a bucket of water, value turned to "tank fill" and the fresh water tank value open. When I start the water pump all it does is pull some water out of the bucket but then shuts off when the water system gets pressured up.

I had to buy a external water pump to pump water out of the bucket and into the water tank.

What am I missing? Surely the Leprechaun can do this yes?

Patrick
Patrick,

Sounds like in your arrangement, the pump output still only directs water to the pressure supply system instead of the tank.

It would be nice to have a factory schematic. I haven't tried it on our Leprechaun but it seems like you should just be able to pour water into the outside filler (set on "Tank Fill") without the pump. But if not...

You would have to tap into something like the shower-head cold output pressure pipe, or better yet, insert a tee-tap into the immediate pressure side output of the pump. That tap can then direct pressurized new water back to the same non-pressurized plastic line the pump normally draws tank water from using another tee-tap, some valves and a short hose, providing the pump is near the tank. These special taps would need shut-off valves for normal use. Since the new water would be pressurized, it should force the new water backwards against gravity up into the fresh-water tank.

It's confusing, so you may have to draw a schematic out on paper to track the new water finally getting to the tank and you will need to plan a multiple valve arrangement to temporarily specially redirect all the flow.

With a different direct suction line arrangement from the pump input tee right to the clean bucket, this "back-flow fill" would allow filling new water into the tank from a container inside the camper during inclement weather and skipping the outside connector altogether.

Instead of an open bucket, I would use one of the closeable plastic "Jerry" cans designed for transporting fresh water if possible. I have some 6 gallon "water jerry cans" from Walmart that cost about $10 some years ago if I remember right. That gave me 12 gallons per fill episode. A smaller, collapsible type clear plastic water jug holds less water, is lighter and takes less room to pack when empty.

On nice days, I think it is simpler and probably likely to be able to just hook a funnel-hose arrangement to the outside fresh-water connector (black?) and just pour water into this system. Again, that would certainly be the easiest if it works.

Pouring from containers gets pretty heavy while waiting. One could also directly connect a short hose between some types of capable sealed water containers and the camper, and then just let the new water gravity feed to the tank by itself, if some suitable support could hold the can above the inlet port. One might be able to set a water container on the roof of a tall vehicle and drain into the camper fill port for example. The only thing different from my old camper appears to be using a hose screw connection for fill instead of the old trapdoor filler port.

Wes
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:15 AM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

I have the same system on my 2016 Concord. There is no way to fill the tank unless you use an auxiliary pump. I am seriously considering adding a gravity fill in the future.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:38 AM   #4

If you have an outside shower, then you can make an adapter that will supply water to fresh water tank fill from outside shower hose while using on board water pump and anti-freeze suction. See post #4 and PDF file in this thread.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...se-114641.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:41 AM   #5

Smile fresh water

I carry a drill hose pump , hook to fresh water inlet pump away, turn on fill value. take a long time but works.
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
If you have an outside shower, then you can make an adapter that will supply water to fresh water tank fill from outside shower hose while using on board water pump and anti-freeze suction. See post #4 and PDF file in this thread.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...se-114641.html
If I am reading that schematic correctly you still have to have a gravity fill, which the newer RVs don't seem to have. Or I guess you could make an adapter to thread onto the shower hose?

I still think the easiest method is going to be a separate 12-volt pump or add a gravity fill to the fresh water tank.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
If I am reading that schematic correctly you still have to have a gravity fill, which the newer RVs don't seem to have. Or I guess you could make an adapter to thread onto the shower hose?

I still think the easiest method is going to be a separate 12-volt pump or add a gravity fill to the fresh water tank.

Aaron
Yes an adapter from shower hose to garden hose. I made one and works great.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #8

Don't have the same rig but my solution could work for anyone.

First, I have gravity fill on my TT but it's too high for me to comfortably lift a bucket and pour to fill. I decided to pump water in.

I purchased a regular RV water pump (a clone of the one installed at factory) on Amazon for under $70. Cut a short section of water hose with male and female hose fittings on each end in half. Installed hose sections on each end of pump and wired pump with inline fuse, switch, and battery clips with enough wire to reach trailer battery while pump is on ground below water fill.

I can now transfer water from bladder, buckets, "Water Cubes", or if next to a clean mountain stream, add more hose and pump direct from the stream. Of course the pump needs to close to the stream in height or it won't be able to suck the water up. My campground site last week was within 20 feet of a stream that was as clear as could be and only about 6 feet above the surface. Not a slow moving creek but a fast moving "white water" mountain creek so I would have no qualms using it.

Not only does this pump "rig" I built handle my water transfer needs, if the main pump goes on vacation I can swap out by merely removing the screw on barb connections on both ends and swap wiring. I can then rebuild OE pump at my leisure.

For those that have pressure fill tanks only, this method will deliver water up to the limit of the pump's output volume without the need for adapting shower hoses (with reduced flow) or adding valves to water system. Simple method with added benefits (spare pump).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #9

I use one of these. Does 12V battery and 120V. Works very well and simple to operate. If you're already in the Ryobi 1+ system, it's a no brainer.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190609-121030_Home%20Depot.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	206799
Goatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #10

So I conclude:

Unless I get a plumbing schematic, or do some exotic experimenting, an ordinary primitive gravity pour-fill seems like it may be impossible. So much for simple extended camping in the boondocks.

The three-way valve (if it's even useful in my case) listed in the link given in the other thread, costs $59 . Not that I can't afford it, but $60 seems vast cash overkill, a $ principle at stake. OTOH, there were some much cheaper valves at the bottom of the page. Note that the $59 valve even got bad reviews for leaking. Cheaper valves yet?: Buyer beware.

My Leprechaun solution might be as simple as a short hose, and one locally purchased on-off valve tee'd off the pump output, then directed backwards into the very nearby normal tank output. When shut off, such a simple, economic valve would revert to absolutely normal mode. When opened, it may allow a pump-powered fill by suction on the "City Water" setting outside connection and fill the tank with what ever this suction port has available. This is based on PatrickH 's suggestion that seemed to indicate anti-freeze winterization fluid can be sucked in this way.

Has anyone ever tried just pouring into the tank with the valve set on "City Water"? Is this "city" input no longer connected directly clear through to the fresh-water tank, even the tank bottom for instance? For example, is there a spring-loaded one-way valve inline with "City Water", an input valve that requires some greater-than-gravity pressure to even open?

In a related situation, my buddy bought a Grand Design brand 5vr and the plumbing system was even more complicated. He couldn't figure out for sure if any lines would have logically still had water in them after he tried to blow them out for winterization. At first, after more than one try, he was unable to receive any plumbing schematic from the manufacturer, but he was doggedly persistent.

Finally the haggard company representative came up with a schematic and my buddy was able to solve the problem. The company had figured out elaborate setting instructions for multiple valves to automatically accomplish most owner requirements. All except how the system was connected so it could be reasoned out what was really happening "under the hood".

Wes
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:30 PM   #11

eprechaun 2018 - How to fill water tank while boondocking

@PatrickH, had the same issue with 2018 Leprechaun 319mb. I found the root cause which is the backfill preventer. We found several solutions here. We purchased a high psi water transfer pump but also found that #7's idea worked as well, flipping the screen backwards pushes the backflow preventer inward which allows the onboard (red) pump switch to draw water out of the water jug. The high psi pump works faster but now I have several options.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/lepr...ml#post5770739
katanajo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:52 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by katanajo24 View Post
@PatrickH, had the same issue with 2018 Leprechaun 319mb. I found the root cause which is the backfill preventer. We found several solutions here. We purchased a high psi water transfer pump but also found that #7's idea worked as well, flipping the screen backwards pushes the backflow preventer inward which allows the onboard (red) pump switch to draw water out of the water jug. The high psi pump works faster but now I have several options.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/lepr...ml#post5770739
The OP is a one and done member. Their only post from two years ago, is the only post they ever made so they are probably no longer here to answer. You might try sending them a PM to see if they still monitor the Forum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, tank, water, water tank