Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #1

Leprechaun 319DSF Front End Alignment

I got my 2013 DSF in November and have put only 300 miles on it. It's my first RV and am a little surprised by all the wandering and oversteer it seems to have on the road.Should I get the front end alignment checked? Will it be covered under Coachmen warranty?

Also, I run same amount of pressure (80PSI) in all tires. Should I put less in front tires as most of weight is probably carried by rear tires.

Any suggestions?

And, where would I go to check the weight on each wheel/corner?
2013leprechaun319dsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #2

We bought a new 2013 georgetown 378. When we left the dealer it wandered and would not track straight. Brought it in for a front end alignment. Drives completely different and great. No more wandering or tail wagging when passed by large trucks. Forrest river reimbursed me for the alignment cost no questions asked. Contact your dealer.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #3

My dealer referred me to Ford since its on their chassis.Any tips on where to get the wheels weighed?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #4

Wheels weighed

I called Ford Motorhome division directly and they told me all chassis leave the factory properly aligned. My dealer told me to have it aligned and Forrest River will reimburse me. They did.
With weighing the wheels I was again told to take it to a weigh scale for 18 wheelers at a service station and weight the front, then rear, then each individual wheels. They will charge for each weigh but you will have the correct weight distribution. Be sure to unload all extra cargo before doing so, include fresh water tank. Water weighs 9lbs per gallon.

Also when I talked to Ford Motorhome division the lady was very nice and understanding since she has hear all of these problems before. Ford does not reimburse for alignment unless they caused the issue.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #5

Just got word from Ron Ross at Coachmen that they'd cover the alignment cost.

As far as weighing, I'd think it should be loaded with what I plan on traveling with. Correct?
Old 08-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #6

I suppose you could do it either way

When it's loaded you would know how much more you could load on
When it's unloaded I know how much more I can carry. Every trip is always loaded with something different.
Either way don't overload or hit the max. Always leave room for safety.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #7

Just came back from getting alignment at Dsuban's in Cincinnati area. Drove to campground and felt a world of difference in straight line driving and around curves. Much less wandering and oversteer.
They said alignment was way out.
Really happy so far with the work done by Dsuban's!
Old 11-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013leprechaun319dsf View Post
Just came back from getting alignment at Dsuban's in Cincinnati area. Drove to campground and felt a world of difference in straight line driving and around curves. Much less wandering and oversteer.
They said alignment was way out.
Really happy so far with the work done by Dsuban's!
Glad to hear your follow up - I plan to have mine done....even if its on my nickel..piece of mind.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #9

Sadly, when i took ours in to have the front end alignment done, they said that it was going to take many hours and cost hundreds due to the way Ford used shims instead of adjustment screws or something. They could correct the toe in, but not the other parts... ??? ugh. I just don't know enough about it. So I said not to do it incurring lots of cost. Ours has 5300 miles on it, we bought it with 4700 on it and it's wandered to the right since first trip. I wish that I'd contacted Forest River for help.

2013 Coachmen Leprechaun 317SAF
1998 Seaward Fox Cat rigged trailerable sailboat
Our Lake Life Blog
TimeOutRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOutRV View Post
Sadly, when i took ours in to have the front end alignment done, they said that it was going to take many hours and cost hundreds due to the way Ford used shims instead of adjustment screws or something. They could correct the toe in, but not the other parts... ??? ugh. I just don't know enough about it. So I said not to do it incurring lots of cost. Ours has 5300 miles on it, we bought it with 4700 on it and it's wandered to the right since first trip. I wish that I'd contacted Forest River for help.
I suggest you bring it to another shop and get a second opinion.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #11

X2
Old 11-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #12

Shims on you front end

Dear TimeOutRV
Yes it does take shims but that shouldn't be an issue with a shop that does large trucks
The shop I used had all the parts on hand because that is what they do, large Ford trucks
Had it in and out in about an hour. From start to finish. My shop even let me into the shop area and the mechanic even told me everything he was doing. It even corrected the steering wheel which was cocked about 20 degrees to the right. After shims were install the steering wheel centered right up. The alignment was way off. After the alignment the coach drove like a fine car. No wagging and stayed right on track. Even when 18 wheelers pass I was not even pushed to the side.

Find another shop that knows what they are doing.
Good luck and have fun with your coach!
Old 11-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #13

Sound like good advice if indeed it is not tracking straight. My first long trip westward in my 2012 319DS Leprechaun Ford E450 I was amazed how much the 18 wheelers would effect it when they passed. The air draft would effect the rear so I would have to severely counter steer to maintain course. After I install a rear track bar (Blue Ox TT2450 TigerTrac) that ceased and the Truck passing effects are less than the same experience in my passenger car. The track bar goes from the frame over the axle to the opposite side attaching to the axle. This stops the body/frame from shifting sideways over the axle. Of course when this happens it torques the front of the vehicle forcing the driver to counter steer. It is not hard to install but recommend you have several boards to drive up on so there is some ground clearance to work.
This is just another thought. I have had good tire wear so front alignment has not been needed on mine. Good Luck with your Leprechaun, I am surely enjoying mine.

PAST- 2012 Coachman Leprechaun 319DSF w/TOAD -2011 Chevrolet Equinox 4-cyl. AWD, 2008 Springdale 266RL, 2002 Outback 25FB
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #14

During previous discussions about Ford E450 Class C alignments, forum member bclemens, who is a Forest River representative, said they have checked alignment before delivery and found it will change after several hundred (or did he say thousand?) miles. After that, the alignment seems to stay constant.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOutRV View Post
Ford checks the alignment at the factory and if it is in specification they do not install the eccentric bushings that are needed to adjust the camber. Sometimes they will install a bushing on one side but not the other.

When we had ours aligned, the shop had to install the camber bushings. We had it done at a local truck shop in Greenville, SC. None of the Ford dealers could get a Class C in their shop. The total cost was $300. The technician spent nearly two hours on the job. The shop was first class. The technician did a great job. It drives much better than before.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Ford checks the alignment at the factory and if it is in specification they do not install the eccentric bushings that are needed to adjust the camber. Sometimes they will install a bushing on one side but not the other.

When we had ours aligned, the shop had to install the camber bushings. We had it done at a local truck shop in Greenville, SC. None of the Ford dealers could get a Class C in their shop. The total cost was $300. The technician spent nearly two hours on the job. The shop was first class. The technician did a great job. It drives much better than before.
Where did you have your alignment done? I'm up the mountain in Fletcher, NC and need to have mine done.

Thank's
Tom Southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Southern View Post
Where did you have your alignment done? I'm up the mountain in Fletcher, NC and need to have mine done.

Thank's
Snider Fleet Solutions on 5806 Augusta Rd, Greenville, SC, installed the two camber adjustment bushings and aligned the front end on our E450. Their phone number is 864-277-7877. You need to make an appointment. When I talked with the alignment guy and showed him the alignment specs that bclemens posted he said those were the specs that he used. The guy has been working on truck front ends for over 25 years.

5806 Augusta Road is about 2 miles south of I-85.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #18

Does anyone know of a good shop to have this done in South Florida?
red rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rover View Post
Does anyone know of a good shop to have this done in South Florida?
not familiar with area, but suggest a truck service knowledgable in MH's.

Tags
alignment