Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #1

Leveling Jacks

Does anyone have a maintenance routine with the LCI leveling jacks? Mine seem sticky (maybe due to the undercoating I had done to the chassis) and am wondering if some lube or silicon might help?
jjd74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Silicone spray on the jacks. However, undercoating will not keep the jacks from moving.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #3

They recommend WD 40 to be put on in a non dusty environment every 3 mos and once a month in a sea salt climate. If it is dusty monthly. Make sure you wipe the dirt of with a cleaner then apply. It will also help from pitting and your bottom seal. Alot of people think that the Ram is like a backhoe Ram. No sir they will pit on you in a hot second if not protected.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #4

I use the WD-40 brand Silicone spray on my jacks.
There could be over spay on the threads of your jacks but that should not be a problem after using them a few times.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #5

Thanks, I'll extend them and do that. They sound rougher since the undercoating and out last time at a tick-ridden Park the rear driver side didn't extend to the ground when trying to auto level at site. I manually brought it down but haven't done anything to maintain them for 6 mo. at least.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

I would not do that. Back in October of last year I posted this in response to the WD40 protagonists. Wd40 was wrong then and it is wrong now.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post721915
The link is for the trailer system however the jacks and pump hardware are the same.
Page 5 is where the reference resides. Silicone for the jacks.
WD-40 is for the electrical connectors if they corrode.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #7

I leveled, inspected the extended jack slides. They looked pretty good except at the very bottom there was a dirt/grime accumulation just starting over the edge of the bevel/end so I used a cloth sprayed with wd40 to remove the build up. Then I used a paper towel to wipe away at the bottom seal. I sprayed a light coat of silicon to the shaft after inspecting for particles and then lowered the unit. I had this build up on three of the four jacks but it was worse and more tar like on the one giving me trouble. It's probably not related but it made me feel good.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd74 View Post
I leveled, inspected the extended jack slides. They looked pretty good except at the very bottom there was a dirt/grime accumulation just starting over the edge of the bevel/end so I used a cloth sprayed with wd40 to remove the build up. Then I used a paper towel to wipe away at the bottom seal. I sprayed a light coat of silicon to the shaft after inspecting for particles and then lowered the unit. I had this build up on three of the four jacks but it was worse and more tar like on the one giving me trouble. It's probably not related but it made me feel good.
Then you did it correctly wd40 is a great cleaner for grime and then coat every 7 days or so for corrosion with any silicone base spray. I do mine about twice a month. wipe them down with wd and the foot top side when needed, then hit it except the foot with a little spray. I use CRS by Napa, pretty cheap insurance.......

Old 05-14-2015, 10:54 PM   #9

Good to know, I'd not given it any thought.
Hugh R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh R View Post
Good to know, I'd not given it any thought.
Do not get the wd 40 on any seals at the top of the rams it will eat the rubber up that's why they say use a silicone base spray every time you lube them for protection because the ram has to move through the rubber seal. But you can use it as a cleaner as stated. Wipe the crud off and then hit it good with what stuff you like to use....

Tags
jacks, leveling