Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #1

List of changes-mods-equip I was asked about

This will be boring to most, and it is really only interesting to me I am sure; and maybe my DW but I never really intended to show it to her.

For items shown as "Inc in delivery" it means that I negotiated these items to be included in the original sale and installed prior to delivery. I can dig and get the dollar amounts they wanted for most of those items if you have a specific interest.

Also you'll see many items, some installed and some not, show purchased in December of 2012. The reason for all that spending at that time is I was never really sure this would be our motorhome for the long run. I wanted a DP but as I got friendlier with this coach, worked out some of the original problems, and as the wife took a stronger position on not doing any trading, it became clear we were in this rig for a longer period of time. That was last fall and so after that I started collecting the equipment I wanted to add or upgrade with and started installing many items myself.

Hope this is helpful. Maybe it will give you some ideas of things you might want yourself. If you want to suggest wish list items of your own I would be most interested in seeing what you would add. I would like to see what others find as necessary or desirable. Might get me thinking in directions I have not so far.

And... there is no particular order to this. I added items as I remembered all I have done. When the brain went dry I looked up my orders at Camping World and Amazon and went through my receipts and completed the list. Also I added some to-do items purely so I would not forget to do them as the weather gets warmer and I can start doing some work on the coach.

Roll
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Encounter chgs-mods-repairs as of 2-25-13.pdf (176.2 KB, 292 views)
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #2

This is great - I will save it for hopefully future use.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
phat phrog stunt crew

that hushmat is nice stuff even if bit pricey. some other options are dynamat and lizzard skin. some folks at another site i frequent also say they have gotten the same results with a similar product (to hushmat/dynamat) sold at lowes/home depot. the name escapes me now, but they report it being considerably cheaper with same results.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #4

I'm nowhere near as organized as Roll, but here's what we have done thus far:

2013 Coachmen Encounter Upgrades:

· Carefree solid color acrylic awning and metal wrap cover
· Shade Pro Vista shade drop (w/extra 10 foot drop added)
· Digital power TV antenna (replace crank antenna)
· Steer Safe steering stabilizer on front axle
· BlueOx Tiger Trak rear track bar #TT2401 on rear axle
· Light switch installed on wall in toilet room (ridiculous that we had to actually do this one)
· Forest River dual front power sun/blackout shade
· Forest River sun/blackout duo shades throughout rest of coach
· Custom window lambrequins throughout (Same as Cross Country diesel interior)
· Upgraded power vent fan with thermostat in kitchen skylight
· PROGRESSIVE EMS (EMS-HW50C) surge/voltage protector hardwired in exterior storage bay
· Custom temporary step cover for entry door steps
· Tire Tracker tire pressure monitoring system (with repeater)
· Sunguard mirror and wiper covers
· Rand McNally 7710 GPS
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post

2013 Coachmen Encounter Upgrades:

· Tire Tracker tire pressure monitoring system (with repeater)

Hey Go-six, How about some info on your tire pressure monitoring system?

1) Does it cover your toad?
2) Are the sending units the type that screw on to the tire valve stem?
3) Do they have a noticeable weight factor individually?
4) Do you sense tire balance issues from the added valve stem device, (assuming they are the type that attaches to the valve stem)?
5) Overall are you satisfied with the outfit and if I may ask what was the approximate cost?

Thanks!

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #6

So far the tire tracker has been great

Yes

2) Are the sending units the type that screw on to the tire valve stem? Yes

Not much. They're only .3 oz and you don't need metal valve stems

4) Do you sense tire balance issues from the added valve stem device, (assuming they are the type that attaches to the valve stem)?
Not at all

5) Overall are you satisfied with the outfit and if I may ask what was the approximate cost?
So far, so good. We went with Tire Tracker based on cost and a 3 year warranty. We ended up getting: 1 Tiretracker monitoring unit; 10 wheel monitoring system (includes toad) and 1 battery-operated signal booster. Total cost was ~$480. You can replace the batteries yourself too (don't have to send them away like some others). There are others who sell this same product just under a different name (Camping World's Tire Minder is the same, as is "Hawkshead"). I went with Tire Tracker because it had the lowest price and longest warranty of the three. Here's the website: TireTraker TPMS

I know a lot of folks get passionate about tire pressure monitoring systems in general, but I like the added security of knowing it's there.

Hope this helps! Really great to exchange all this info!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #7

Neat idea to keep track of mods. I like it. thanks for sharing.
halibut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
So far the tire tracker has been great

Yes

2) Are the sending units the type that screw on to the tire valve stem? Yes

Not much. They're only .3 oz and you don't need metal valve stems

Not at all

So far, so good. We went with Tire Tracker based on cost and a 3 year warranty. We ended up getting: 1 Tiretracker monitoring unit; 10 wheel monitoring system (includes toad) and 1 battery-operated signal booster. Total cost was ~$480. You can replace the batteries yourself too (don't have to send them away like some others). There are others who sell this same product just under a different name (Camping World's Tire Minder is the same, as is "Hawkshead"). I went with Tire Tracker because it had the lowest price and longest warranty of the three. Here's the website: TireTraker TPMS

I know a lot of folks get passionate about tire pressure monitoring systems in general, but I like the added security of knowing it's there.

Hope this helps! Really great to exchange all this info!
True, metal stems usually not reqquired on the toad, BUT, on one later trip the device caused e
A valve stem to develop a slow leak. They do flex a bit. It is reccomended that you install metal for stability. I have the 510 forerunner to your unit. Batteries lasted 6 years. Factory rebuilds and sends back fr 19.95 each then good for another 5 yrs. We did have metal stems put on toad when we bought new tires.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #9

Hey 1nshort,

How did the work at the dealer come out? Get everything aligned properly?

Roll
Old 03-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #10

Cool slow dealer

Boat-n-RV is my dealer, I had heard they were slow. That is definately an UNDERSTATEMENT, they are rediculously slow...it's in the paint shop. I will check everything at dealer, they claim they have fixed everything.....we'll see. I only had minor problems. I will do a proper shakedown spring. Might take a 5 week drive about...if work will let me. I am an Analyst at a 3 letter place. They get testy at times.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nshort View Post
Boat-n-RV is my dealer, I had heard they were slow. That is definately an UNDERSTATEMENT, they are rediculously slow...it's in the paint shop. I will check everything at dealer, they claim they have fixed everything.....we'll see. I only had minor problems. I will do a proper shakedown spring. Might take a 5 week drive about...if work will let me. I am an Analyst at a 3 letter place. They get testy at times.
Is that Arbogast Boat and RV? And 5 weeks would be long vacation, you must have a lot of time saved up.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #12

dealer

Roll
Boat-n-RV in Hamburg, PA, found them at the Hershey show. They are in NY and Tennesee also. Almost bought the Thor equivalent to the Encounter but they did not have the upgrade materials I could get on the Encounter. One thing they did have were heated tanks. (Challenger 37KT). Yeah 5 weeks, is a lot. I don't get to take much time off other than a few days here and there. I am using it before I retire (3rd time) in Dec.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #13

I got the same as Go6car, love the view, and seeing the temps rise as I'm pulling my enclosed trailer.. The same price too. Sure are nice folks to buy from. You can't go wrong with them.
RacerxRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerxRV View Post
I got the same as Go6car, love the view, and seeing the temps rise as I'm pulling my enclosed trailer.. The same price too. Sure are nice folks to buy from. You can't go wrong with them.

Totally agree - ours has been great so far! I'm curious how long we'll get out of the current batteries before we'll have to replace. Time will tell I think.