Old 01-31-2015, 12:31 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
Very true (heck of a way to confirm that, though!). Looking forward to you getting your rig back and better then new!
I second that Denis.

I hope you can get back in the rig by spring and based on what you've been telling us that is now a real possibility. I'm glad, I thought the prognosis was dim there for a while.

I think you were smart to do the Hushmat thing. It made a significant difference in our coach but it does not eliminate all engine noise as I am sure you can imagine. It makes it easer to converse under ordinary conditions; engine noise is just not a factor anymore. Climbing a hill in first or second gear at 4000 rpm will still transmit noise into the cabin but it's tolerable now where before I thought the pistons were going to come though the engine cover and go right out through the roof. LOL

I was uncomfortable when that big V10 hit those high revs (for a large engine) but I've since been told by my mechanic and have read, the Ford Triton V10 is very happy at that RPM which is one of the reasons it's a popular engine for pulling RVs.

Gary

2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:36 PM   #42

Roll,

X2 the high rev happiness. My first MH of 10 years was the 20 valve V10. Never had a problem with it. Yes, the first time it kicked down to 4k plus revs and made all that racket I thought the engine was coming apart! Got used to it (mostly) and with three west coast trips and a lot of Rocky mountain travels, not to mention the less impressive Shenandoahs, never thought another thing about it. Only guidance I can give is after several years, replace the lower radiator hose (all 11 or so feet, at least that was what it was on my Thor) and carry a couple off spark plug wires.

Denis

Old 03-09-2015, 10:53 PM   #43

Repair Update

CW is indicating about two weeks to go. They are about ready to attach the front end cap and send it to paint and have the diamond guard installed. While the front end and engine stuff was off I had them put the 1/2 inch hush mat on the underside of the dash and the AC/heater ducts fiberglass wrapped. I am anxious to continue my trip to San Diego! The insurance companies are positioning for liability. That will take a while. The two At Fault insurance companies are jockeying for percentage of fault levels. I am billing them for 8 months loss of use, expenses to home and back and loss of 49 camping days...close to 9 grand. That will be a battle...lawyer standing by.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:24 PM   #44

glad to hear everything is working out....add court costs and lawyer fees to your bill their services aren't cheap.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:47 AM   #45

Thanks for the update Denis, glad to hear the coach is coming along. I am sure you missed it. At least much of the down time was during the winter but then if the coach had been operable, you could have taken it South for the winter.

I am so anxious to do some real cruising in ours but Cindy is still working and so we are limited to long weekends and 2-3 one week trips over the season.

I will be 68 or 69 by the time she retires. I remain optimistic that my back will hold out so we can really "hit the road".

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:53 PM   #46

Any news? Repairs to be finished soon?

Gary
Old 04-24-2015, 06:43 PM   #47

The end is almost in site! CW picks it up from the paint shop Wednesday. They install the awnings and some locker doors, detail it and it should be ready. We will then resume our vacation. I know I'm ready!
Our car insurance company got tired of the other two giving them the runaround so they have requested Industry Arbitration. That is scheduled for July. Once a decision is made they must adhere to it...no appeal.
The pick-up family is suing the 18 wheeler for wrongful death...that will take a while.
I will be using both for loss of use and travel expenses.
Whew!!!

1n
Old 04-27-2015, 07:35 AM   #48

Glad to hear that things are moving along. Let us know how the first shakedown trip goes!
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
Glad to hear that things are moving along. Let us know how the first shakedown trip goes!
Ditto here.

Gary
Old 05-29-2015, 12:20 AM   #50

The Coach is Ready! Have been on the road since Tuesday afternoon. We are currently hunkered down in Abilene Texas waiting for flash flooding to subside. Should get to El Paso late Friday to check out the repairs and continue a much belated vacation.

1n