Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #1

Looking to buy a 2019 Leprechaun 260DS

I see that they now have a 6 speed tranny. I'm trying to find out the ~~MPG of this unit. Did all the 260DS's have the 6 speed or is this something new for 2019? I may give up my Class A, since a 34 footer is too large for the Wife Unit to drive. She saw the 260 and loves it. May have to switch..

Anything I should know about this model or of Leprechaun's in general??

Thanks
Orider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:31 AM   #2

We bought a 2017 260DS in June of 2017. The chassis has the six speed gearbox.

Gas mileage varies with highway speed and traffic. If we keep it to 65 on interstates, we get about 9 mpg. Sticking to 55, we get close to 10 mpg. I bought a little gsdget thst plugs into the OBD II port and lets us see a bunch of thr operating psrameters in real time. I'll go to the coach later and get the gadgets name for you.
R65guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R65guy View Post
We bought a 2017 260DS in June of 2017. The chassis has the six speed gearbox.

Gas mileage varies with highway speed and traffic. If we keep it to 65 on interstates, we get about 9 mpg. Sticking to 55, we get close to 10 mpg. I bought a little gsdget thst plugs into the OBD II port and lets us see a bunch of thr operating psrameters in real time. I'll go to the coach later and get the gadgets name for you.
I found the OBD II display. It is called Scan Guage II and can be found on Amazon for about $160 at URL https://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Aut...s=scangauge+ii

There are less expensive OBD displays, some acting as a heads up display on the windshield. Just be sure they give gas use as MPG for US.
R65guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:29 PM   #4

Leps are just fine. MPG is not very good in anyone of these things. Sorry, I don't think you will experience any big difference.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:37 PM   #5

We bought our 260 DSC this summer, we have put 2400 miles so far. One trip with out toad we averaged 9.3 . We drove mostly around 65 mph . We just got back from another trip towing our Equinox on a tow dolly . We traveled on a two lane hwy so speed was around 52 mph. Gas mileage was 7.4. We had a 38ft Winnebago with the Chevy 8.1 and we towed a 2012 Equinox 4 down that we would get 6.7 to 7.1 !!
I was surprised that the Mpg wasn’t that much different! Leaving for Florida hoping to get a better average as it breaks in .
The Leprechaun is a 6.0 with 6 speed trans. I ‘m thinking that maybe, I will find the sweet spot in the 1400 mile trip.
Stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:45 AM   #6

Just found this thread. I'm planning to purchase a Chevy 260 DSC within the next few months and was wondering if the mileages quoted were all the Chevy's or if some were Fords? We like the Chevy mostly for the wife's leg room, she has long legs and issues with frequent leg cramps. Our tow vehicle will be a 2010 CR-V, leaning toward Dolly Towing.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:01 AM   #7

Having owned both Ford and Chevy Class C's, I found the Chevrolet to give me about 1 mpg more. However I'm comparing a 5 speed Ford to a 6 speed Chevy. The newer Ford 6 speed may reduce that margin.

I bought my Chevrolet for the foot room, the smooth ride, and that classic V8 rumble.
Goatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:28 AM   #8

We n ow have about 4800 miles on our rig, withthe Chevy V8. When I tow my jeep cherokee and hold it about 65, I usually get about 8.6 mpg and when I tow the Miata I get a mile more mpg. I do think the pickup is better with the V8, as the HP is more, but less torque. I do enjoy more leg and foot room in this setup.
Orider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:12 AM   #9

I had my 2018 26DS (Chevy) for over a year now. I've put 11,000 miles on it,and so far I really like it. After full timing for 10 years, I down sized from a 43 foot pusher to this model. I tow a 2010 CRV, and while traveling from Florida to Maine this year my mileage was between 9.5 to 9.8 according to the computer. Even in the hills in Virgina and New York I was getting 9.5. I drive between 60 and 65 MPH. Trucks and wind are not an issue. I picked the Chevy because it has a lot more leg room in the cab. After driving a tag axle for over 10 years, I was concerned about the handling and comfort of a class c, it was a needless worry.......Bruce
waco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #10

Found towing Equinox to Florida and back home, our average for the whole trip was 8.9 mpg. Computer showed 8.5. I to travel between 60 and 65 mph. My only complaint is the jackknife sofa, should have went with recliners . That’s our fault and it can be corrected $$$.
Stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stearn View Post
Found towing Equinox to Florida and back home, our average for the whole trip was 8.9 mpg. Computer showed 8.5. I to travel between 60 and 65 mph. My only complaint is the jackknife sofa, should have went with recliners . That’s our fault and it can be corrected $$$.
Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

Anyone have any input on the new residential 4 door fridge? I plan on doing a bit of boon docking and am not crazy about it, especially if it is total electric. We will want the pantry space, I think. I've only physically seen one 260 for sale within 200 miles of my area and I see it is no longer listed and apparently was recently sold.

Also any thoughts on the new built in WiFi Ranger? Is it worth keeping or will I be adding after market?
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote