Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
2014 Prism 24G

Loving our 2014 Coachmen Prism 24G

We bought a Prism 24G in February and now with about 12,000 miles, I can truly say we did GOOD buying this rig! Being newbies to everything RV, we are very pleased with how this rig has expanded our lifestyle and experiences. We get 16+ mpg on highway, so we use it like a big station wagon, driving it almost everyday, shopping in it, tailgating, even went to the diner theater in it, so we could have cocktails and hors d'oeuvre before we went in for diner and show. With the 2 slide outs, it makes having to spend longer times in it very comfortable and still provide easy access to almost all city driving and street parking.
What fun we have had so far, the MB Sprinter chassis is a joy to drive and I can see us putting hundreds of thousands of miles on it.

Fernandina Beach, FL
timtrickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Always Learning

Very nice! I've been claiming to the wife that our "2nd RV" should be a motorhome like that. But then I get the look of, "you're insane, we're not getting a 2nd RV".
Old 08-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #3

Sweet ride! Glad to hear that you made the perfect choice!
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #4

Prism 2150le

We bought our PRISM 2150 LE in July and have made a couple of short trips since. It is a great ride and I too use it to drive to work a couple of times a week. I am now researching to find a tow vehicle. Does anyone have any ideas?
rdr2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #5

tow vehicle

Earlier this year, we bought a 2013 Jeep Sahara with automatic transmission to tow 4 down behind our 25' Prism 2150 le. It is easy to tow and to hook up. It has reduced our fuel mileage (diesel) by 2-4 mpg based on terrain. But having transporation at our destination outweighs the reduced mileage. It cost around $3900.00 for tow bar and brakes but one can probably get a set up cheaper. We live in a rural area so our choices are very limited. Glad to hear you are enjoying your rv. Wish we would have gotten 2 slide instead of one.
dotcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #6

Towing setup

I bought a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Sport and am wondering what wiring is needed from the 2014 Coachmen Prism 2150le, if any. I am going to use the Blue Ox base and alpha tow and want to use the dead pedal breaking system. Any thoughts?
rdr2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
Nmgoes

Hey there. Glad to hear you are enjoying your Coachmen. We just picked up our Prism 2150 and love it. It's our first RV and I am trying to learn about the coach. Do you think you could help me with a question? If I plug into the side of the RV (electric power), does that charge the coach battery under the stairs? Have any of you considered setting up a second battery in there too? Does anyone do anything to the battery as part of the winterization process?
nmgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmgoes View Post
Hey there. Glad to hear you are enjoying your Coachmen. We just picked up our Prism 2150 and love it. It's our first RV and I am trying to learn about the coach. Do you think you could help me with a question? If I plug into the side of the RV (electric power), does that charge the coach battery under the stairs? Have any of you considered setting up a second battery in there too? Does anyone do anything to the battery as part of the winterization process?
Plugging into shore power sends 110v to your
distribution panel and to your converter which
reduces the voltage down to 12V to power
your coach and charge your house batteries.
Your alernator on your engine charges your
chassis battery. You can easily add solar
to both systems. If you store for more than a
month, you will need to tend to all of your batteries.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:02 PM   #9
Nmgoes

Thanks. That helps a lot. I'll research some good solar options. Any recommendations from your personal use?
Old 01-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #10
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmgoes View Post
Thanks. That helps a lot. I'll research some good solar options. Any recommendations from your personal use?
Try here: Welcome to Zamp Solar - Power to Explore | Zamp Solar
I use a small portable to keep the chassis
battery charged and plug into 15A to run the
converter which keeps the house batts charged
but I never winterize and keep our MH in the driveway.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:18 PM   #11
Nmgoes

Great. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #12

I installed a second battery in coachmen M230 Prism, more power is always good. I keep mine plugged in also to keep them charged. I live in Canada so I take them out in the winter and keep them on a trickle charger in the garage.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #13
2014 Prism 24G

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtrickett View Post
We bought a Prism 24G in February and now with about 12,000 miles, I can truly say we did GOOD buying this rig! Being newbies to everything RV, we are very pleased with how this rig has expanded our lifestyle and experiences. We get 16+ mpg on highway, so we use it like a big station wagon, driving it almost everyday, shopping in it, tailgating, even went to the diner theater in it, so we could have cocktails and hors d'oeuvre before we went in for diner and show. With the 2 slide outs, it makes having to spend longer times in it very comfortable and still provide easy access to almost all city driving and street parking.
What fun we have had so far, the MB Sprinter chassis is a joy to drive and I can see us putting hundreds of thousands of miles on it.
A 32,000 mile update, we continue to get 16+ mpg. I don't know if it just my getting use to driving this wonderful vehicle or it is just breaking in, but it seems to be more responsive and agile. I have read on View/Navion blogs concerns about wind and truck passing swaying issues, however I don't see these issues on our rig. In fact, we drive a lot in the mountains of NC and I find that this Sprinter just leans into the curves like a car. I have no problem keeping up with the traffic on the 2 lane roads. The only thing I watch for is low tree limbs, which I have dodged by driving on the other side of the road when possible. We were fortunate to purchase a full body painted model and I must say it still looks new and sparkles. We continue to be very pleased making Costco runs and putting the frozen purchases in the freezer.

Fernandina Beach, FL
timtrickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #14

Any one else out there love their coachmen motorhomes/
Am considering buying a Freelander 21QB. Really love the floor plan over Roadtreks and other class b,b+ and small c rvs. Price is a lot lower of course but you get what you pay for, also. I've seen some reviews on shoddy parts they use. I really want to know the gas mileage also
Thnk You
Retired New Rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired New Rver View Post
Any one else out there love their coachmen motorhomes/
Am considering buying a Freelander 21QB. Really love the floor plan over Roadtreks and other class b,b+ and small c rvs. Price is a lot lower of course but you get what you pay for, also. I've seen some reviews on shoddy parts they use. I really want to know the gas mileage also
Thnk You
We have a 28QB without any slides. MPG is 8.5-9.5 typically. Chassis info below.

Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using FR app

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen