Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2015, 05:23 AM   #1
WDW

Mirada upgrades

We're negotiating for a Mirada 35B -and have asked for these upgrades:

Can Tastic fans to be installed in the three ceiling vents

Sat dish

Tankless hot water heater

Any feedback is appreciated from your experiences in making these type of changes.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #2

Don't do the tankless hot water tank, I've had one in a 2014 Jayco and traded for a reg. 6 gallon hot water tank in a Mirada
LaVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:04 PM   #3

I put a MaxxAir automatic fan in my 2013 Mirada 35DL in the living room. I love it. My unit did not come with one there so I was pleasantly surprised when I found that the wires were already there for a fan. I can't see swapping the ones in the bathrooms so I am leaving them alone.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #4

At least get the upgraded fan in the LR area. It is a FANtastic ha idea!

Never have more dogs than you have windows.

rottnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #5
WDW

Mirada upgrades

UPDATE-

We took delivery of our 2016 Mirada 35 BH yesterday.

A. King Quest is up and running. We only have one receiver feeding the coach. It can support 2 but that will require some additional set up. King was wonderful in telephone tech support for the set up.

B. We had the Progressive Industries EMS and Surge Guard's auto transfer switch installed.

C. 2 Fan Tastic fans with temp and rain seniors.

D. Girard tankless - we had one in our Jayco and it served us well. We upgraded to this because we never had any problems.

QUESTIONS:

Have any of you had an alignment done? Did FR pay for it? What settings did they apply?

Has anyone added swaybar (s) or Safe T Plus?

What tire pressures are you running?
The dealer insisted the 95PSI on the vehicle sticker was appropriate despite the MH being unloaded.

Our trip home was about 65 miles and driving required A LOT MORE WORK than should be necessary.

Taking the coach to check weight tomorrow.

Any advise is appreciated!
Old 10-25-2015, 06:49 AM   #6

Had our Miranda Pursuit front end alignment done right after picking it up. The coach wandered all over the road on the ride home. Toe was way off and they had to add a tapered wedge between the axle and springs. Forest River covered the alignment.

I added the Roadmaster steering stabilizer after the first six months and one trip from Buffalo, NY area to Florida and back. Made a huge difference going down the road.

Have played with the tire pressures and found the Ford sticker to be almost right on. On ours it is 82 psi front and rear. Had unit weighted at the FROG rally and found that I could use as low as 78-80 psi but they said to go no lower than the Ford recommend pressures. Lower made it feel like it was skating higher makes for a harder ride.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:05 PM   #7

Pick Up 35LS Thursday and considering some modifications

We pulled the trigger at a recent RV show here in Salem, Oregon. I had some reservations regarding Coachmen, based upon the RV forums, but less complaints in the last couple of years. We loved the floor plan. The only modification or add I insisted on as part of the sale was a rain sensor Fantastic Fan in the living area. I know the windows are double paned, but I dislike how they open and the inability to open very far, ergo the fantastic fan. No vent cover for the fan because I want it to open as far as possible. Also, no towel holders?!! I purchase what what I want, they install.

I have the 18 cubic foot residential fridge. The salesman told me that since we are not boondockers, the inverter and two 6V batteries should last 18 hours while running down the road between campsites or we can run the generator. If you have this rig, what has your experience been. I initially was going to have two additional 6V batteries installed in the compartment where the inverter sits (under the outside TV compartment), however decided to wait and see how the factory set up works.

I plan to buy a Dish tailgater next spring and will probably make it portable. Can anyone who owns this, or a similar rig advise as to whether I can operate the two inside and one outside tv off of one connection? It appears I can, but will be restricted to having the selected channel on all of the TVs.

Would also enjoy hearing about any modifications you have done to your Mirada that would make our RV experience more enjoyable. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Bdogdt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:57 AM   #8
WDW

First let me address the inverter with the refrigerator, it's my understanding that when the engine is running that it should be powering back to recharge the batteries on the inverter without having to run the generator.

we installed the new king quest mounted satellite dish on the roof. We also added the UC 1000 module to the connections in order to allow programming for DirecTV, Dish and I believe possibly Bell. if you go directly to Kings website you will see that they've narrowed it down from a half dozen different set of receiving dishes to just three basic models which makes the selection and they lowered the price point is compared to the competition.

Life is always better under a Palm tree...

2016 Mirada 35BH "Trolley"
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Previous- Jayco Greyhawk 31FK

Western NY
Old 10-27-2015, 06:59 AM   #9
WDW

I hit the send button too quick: we also added two fantastic fans with the heat and rain sensors in the rear bath and the mid vent in the living room. we have the wind weather covers installed is part of the deal for the installation with the dealer. Also we changed out the 6 gallon hot water tank and edit the Gerard tankless for continuous hot water… Nice :-)

finally we added a transfer switch so that I'm going between generator and shore power there's not a need to move that plug in the back compartment

Life is always better under a Palm tree...

2016 Mirada 35BH "Trolley"
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Previous- Jayco Greyhawk 31FK

Western NY
Old 10-27-2015, 12:42 PM   #10

do not buy it. you will be sorry. trust me
mikadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdogdt47 View Post
We pulled the trigger at a recent RV show here in Salem, Oregon. I had some reservations regarding Coachmen, based upon the RV forums, but less complaints in the last couple of years. We loved the floor plan. The only modification or add I insisted on as part of the sale was a rain sensor Fantastic Fan in the living area. I know the windows are double paned, but I dislike how they open and the inability to open very far, ergo the fantastic fan. No vent cover for the fan because I want it to open as far as possible. Also, no towel holders?!! I purchase what what I want, they install.

I have the 18 cubic foot residential fridge. The salesman told me that since we are not boondockers, the inverter and two 6V batteries should last 18 hours while running down the road between campsites or we can run the generator. If you have this rig, what has your experience been. I initially was going to have two additional 6V batteries installed in the compartment where the inverter sits (under the outside TV compartment), however decided to wait and see how the factory set up works.

I plan to buy a Dish tailgater next spring and will probably make it portable. Can anyone who owns this, or a similar rig advise as to whether I can operate the two inside and one outside tv off of one connection? It appears I can, but will be restricted to having the selected channel on all of the TVs.

Would also enjoy hearing about any modifications you have done to your Mirada that would make our RV experience more enjoyable. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
i have one of these junk rv. its in the factory now in middlebury. for the last 3 weeks. we are so sorry we bought this thing and just sick to our stomachs.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikadoo View Post
i have one of these junk rv. its in the factory now in middlebury. for the last 3 weeks. we are so sorry we bought this thing and just sick to our stomachs.
2015 35ls. 7 pages of problems. we got it 2 months ago. at collier rv in rockford illinois. a bunch of liars. stay far away from these people. They will lie straight to your face.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikadoo View Post
I sure wish i new how to get ahold of Mike Terlep.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #14

mikadoo,

Give the guys in the shop in Middlebury a chance to work things out for you. Trust me when I say its a pain to have to go through this on something brand new. I have been in this boat, and have returned my coach back to them for warranty work. The good thing is Bob and crew know how to fix them and get it right. Nate in warranty is also great to work with.

The worst thing is working with a dealer that is not fixing the problems and in some cases making them worse.

By the way when my coach was there last winter. Bob and his crew found a problem that I did not even see and fixed it. They also found one other problem that I will be taking it back this winter to be fixed. I needed the coach back for a trip last March and it would have been there for a few more weeks.

If you like it only happens to Coachmen or Forest River products, you really need to go check out RV.net and IRV2 web sites and start reading. You will find that all the different brands including the high dollar units have problems. If you look closely you will find they all get components from the same few suppliers and that list gets smaller each day.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #15

ResQfrog. For spending the kind of money on something new like this and with all the problems it has' Most of which are just plain lazy sloppy workmanship by employes sure puts a burden on the consumer. I think they just build them like that and hope people don't complain or have the time to run their coaches back and forth to Middlebury and then listen to Nate and Jason Brewer belittle you for complaining. They make me feel like i have to kiss ass to get them to do something. I have made 2 trips already and we bought it aug 3rd. first trip 1 week.
this time so far Monday this week makes 2 weeks and i was notified today it is in paint department then Jason Brewer is coming into the shop to review what is left. the paint is full of runs and had a hole in the side buy the tv door that had bondo in it that was cracked on the edges and repainted with a spray can buy the looks of it. The black paint on the sides was repainted and left with very high sharp edges all the way up and down it top and bottom' no clear coat or an attempt was made to do a nice job many runs in paint. Jason told me that someone at Collier RV keyed the coach and they had it repainted, Collier keeps passing the buck back to Coachman saying they did the paint. But the sales man Ray finally after i got into it on the phone with him he said that they repainted it. They lie to each other at Collier RV. Since august 3rd we got to use it 2 times. Great fun' messed up our summer what was left. I traded in a 1995 Winnebago Brave with 57000 miles' It was a cheery really nice no problems and payed for. Right from the next day I told Jim Collier i wanted my Brave back and he said no such luck. I guess what he meant was screw you, I hope they do a great job at the plant because it will take a lot to make me a happy camper after this. I like Bob Jewell he seems like he is very interested in making me and my wife happy, Not so sure about Nate and Jason. All Jason wanted to do at the meeting i had with him was tell me was' this ain't a warranty issue, this ain't a warranty issue, this ain't a warranty issue, this ain't a warranty issue, and so on, But i will fix it. This guy really made me feel like i had to kiss his ass to get anything fixed, It just isn't right. I have been reading a lot about the poor quality that coachmen puts out, Did you know that coachman had to pay a fine for building poor quality units, Something like 35 Million dollars, Just like 2 months ago, I think i should get a share of that for all my grief. It centers around government-issued trailers provided to victims of hurricanes Katrina and Rita in Louisiana.

The suit includes more than 500 people. They claim high levels of formaldehyde in the trailers made many of them sick.

"We have four families that lost loved ones. We have one family whose child contracted leukemia, and we have clients that have symptoms that pretty much run the gamut of what you see in the formaldehyde exposure," said Tony Buzbee of The Buzbee Law Firm. 2015 coachmen Mirada 35 LS
Old 10-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #16

2015 Coachmen Mirada 35ls
Old 10-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #17

Mikadoo-wow, that certainly took the joy out of my purchase. Sounds like your primary issue is with the dealer, although seven pages of warranty issues are concerning. I wonder if a more ethical dealer would have handled everything differently. For example, not sold you that particular unit with the paint issues and, instead, sent it back to the factory for a repaint prior to even marketing the unit. And aren't they supposed to do a thorough inspection before selling it, and perhaps you would have had only one page of issues at purchase which could have been easily corrected had they done that. I looked up the settlement for the Katrina formaldehyde. Appears that the settlement for the 500 folks included numerous manufacturers and that the toxic conditions after the hurricane aggravated the situation. Final settlement, $46.00. I am hoping for a better experience. My walk through is day after tomorrow and I will certainly look at the pain and go the unit in a painstaking manner. So sorry you had such a negative experience, Mikadoo. I think I would write a letter to the CEO of Coachmen and relate your buying experience.
Bdogdt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #18

Rv dealers are liars just like car salesmen. Don't kid yourself. Take the time and tell them to go away from you when you look it over. Take it for a good drive try everything more than 1 time. fill water tank use the shower, water ran across the floor in mine, just turning the shower on is not good enough let it run for several minutes, look inside the cabinets at the top where they screw the cleats to to ceiling. mine are all split wide open. what is going to hold them to the ceiling, look very close at everything over and over, crawl underneath it front to back, mine had wires hanging actually on the exhaust pipe and burned them up, the dash air vents only blows air from the defroster vents it worked good a few times then only from defroster vents, roof air front had a bad vibration, bad/broken blower wheel blade. look at the steering column mine the dash board is resting right on the steering column and all the way over to the right side of opening touching it, When you use the steering wheel tilt it rubs and squeaks and will actually pushing up the dashboard, make sure the refrigerator is mounted straight and even, mine way in on the hinge side and the stiles all around the opening are banged up and they use tape that looks like the trim, it was coming off to, The entrance door has popped open a few times, not a good latching system. Most of the drawers fly open when traveling and making turns, Run the bedroom slide out and in' and closely watch the cabinets on each side of the bed, mine as soon as it gets about all the way in the fronts of the cabinets start to rise up like 4 inches, and it tor up the cabinet sides and popped them free from the cabinets, run it out half way and grab the top trim board and push pull on it and see if the whole slide rocks, mine was so loose and rocked in and out i was scared to drive it, livingroom slide had all of the rubber seals torn up from the new schwinn tech system that they are now using and they had to remove the bottom tbar and cut big notches in it so it would close all the way it would not close tight and it sound like a door was open when driving it at highway speeds. and they have updated the seals around the slides to make a better seal. They use a bulb seal now, It looks like the shape of the letter D not flat like they have been using. and is on the one you are looking at. Most dealers have no idea of how to fix these things, Please approach this with extreme caution, some places will let you camp in them at there dealership, do not take nothing for granted. all they want is your money and could care about how happy you are' Trust me, once you sign on the line it yours, and unless you want to travel back and fourth to middlebury to get repairs be very sure it is ok. if you find stuff for them to fix before you buy it make absolutely absolutely it fixed properly before you sign anything. and offer them
$5000.00 less and walk then they will give it to you at your price. hope this helps mike 815-674-6888
Old 10-28-2015, 07:14 PM   #19

You better invest in sway bar and steering stabilize
I drove my on time and it was a joke
Without it
Kenkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenkay View Post
You better invest in sway bar and steering stabilize
I drove my on time and it was a joke
Without it
I assume you mean rear track bar? The F53 chassis comes equipped with front & rear anti-sway bars and a front track bar.

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2019: 76
pashooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade