Old 03-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #1

New Freelander owner inverter and heat distribution questions

I just got a Freelander 28 QB Ltd. There are two things that I am looking at adding/modifying and wonder if others have done either/both of these.

First, the floor vent in the bedroom has very little flow and it looks like it is a 2.5 " duct, while the head compartment is a full 4" vent. Would like to swap the duct work but not sure about access to feed a duct to the floor vent, and it also looks like the floor vent has a reducer of some sort on it to match the 2.5 inch hose, wondering about how to replace that.

I also would like to put in an inverter to run 120 volt outlets and microwave off grid without needing to power up generator. Another part of this solution might be replacing TV/DVD with 12 volt integrated unit like one from Naxa which I have in my boat.

Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark

Old 03-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhorowitz View Post
I just got a Freelander 28 QB Ltd. There are two things that I am looking at adding/modifying and wonder if others have done either/both of these.

First, the floor vent in the bedroom has very little flow and it looks like it is a 2.5 " duct, while the head compartment is a full 4" vent. Would like to swap the duct work but not sure about access to feed a duct to the floor vent, and it also looks like the floor vent has a reducer of some sort on it to match the 2.5 inch hose, wondering about how to replace that.

I also would like to put in an inverter to run 120 volt outlets and microwave off grid without needing to power up generator. Another part of this solution might be replacing TV/DVD with 12 volt integrated unit like one from Naxa which I have in my boat.

Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark
I added an 1800 watt inverter to my motorhome as part of the purchase deal. The dealer installed it and I know it took some time since they had to move other items to install it. It is located in a basement compartment, one that previously had 110V outlets and coax cable access, which was moved to a forward compartment at the front of the coach.

The inverter is wired to some outlets but not all. It certainly can be done, but I didn't do it myself and can't help with the technical side. If I had a redo though I would go for higher rated unit, 2400 watts or so.

Roll

2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #3

Some important things to consider when purchasing/installing an inverter:
Load and sizing are your biggest considerations, that will effect your battery reserve decision (how many batteries needed) and how long you can go before using your generator and also the size in wattage you would have to have for a solar electric system to attain a zero float and then a charge capability on top of your zero float. Location is a consideration as the inverter generates heat and will have cooling fans so a tight space is not good and ventilation where it is mounted is important. Even if you are not using AC and your inverter it will be consuming power so remember to take that into consideration for load calculations. When it comes to loads another important thing to consider is, will you need a true sine-wave inverter. The less expensive ones give a more sawtooth type of AC signal which is filtered to make it more sine-wave in nature. This is important to motors and some electronics.
Just some thoughts.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #4

On our boat we have 276 AH of battery and just two outlets are powered by the inverter. The microwave has to be unplugged from its shorepower supplied outlet and moved to the inverter supplied outlet. The microwave will pull the batteries down if we aren't careful. Other uses are navigation computer, laptop with Nav software often 24 hrs a day, wifes hairdryer on low briefly, a couple of other low power devices.

On the boat we changed to TV/DVD to a 12 volt unit, on the RV the current TV and DVD are 110 volt.

The way I envision it is to by a unit with a built in transfer switch, feed the branch circuit for 110 volt outlets and Microwave through the inverter. This may need to be done with a sub panel since the outlets and the microwave are on different branch circuits. I suppose I also need a fuse for the inverter.

Does that make sense?
Old 03-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #5

You might check this transfer switch. I would though, consult an electrician about the install (preferably an RV familiar one). It is for 30Amps.

Transfer Switch 3 way automatic 30 amp by AIMS

If you need up to 50 amps look at this, but at that level price goes up a fair bit;

#ES350 - 50 Amp 3 Way Transfer Switch

now the above are separate components, if you want an all in one look on this website for a possible solution, most of these are internally fused (replaceble).

12 Volt Power Inverters with Battery Chargers and Auto Transfer Switch