Old 07-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
New to Class C

Hi All,
First I'm a girl! Lol! My late husband and I had a fifth wheel and a bumper pull. We traveled for about 14 years while we were working but we camped as much as we could. My husband has been gone for 4 years and recently I got the itch to travel again but didn't want the hassle of pulling a trailer so I bought a 24' Coachman Freelander with a Ford 350 V10. I'm really happy with it - my daughter and I take our first trip later this summer.

When I asked the Dealer about routine service like getting the engine oil changed they said just take it to a Ford dealer. However, I have never seen a motor home at a Ford dealer. Is this really what you do? What about engine service (knock on wood I won't have engine problems for a while)? What about new brakes. Do I really deal with a Ford Dealer?

I know you probably think I'm really silly, but I just really need to know. Thanks so much!

gja1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:15 PM   #2
I get my oil changed and basic service at a local Express Oil Change. Your local Ford dealer, especially if it sells big trucks, should be able to provide your service.

R & J
2015 Sunseeker 3170DS
2007 Ford Escape Toad-5 spd manual
Blue Ox Alpha tow bar/Blue Ox Patriot brake
31 Nights camped 2015/32 Nights camped/reserved 2016
BamaGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:24 PM   #3
We have two Ford dealers in the area, one is not equipped to service RVs due to physical door size restrictions. The other however does a booming business with medium sized RVs like your class c. My neighbor's Chevy coach has to go 55 miles out of town to Nashville, so I recommend you have a conversation with the service supervisor at your local Ford dealer. He can probably provide you with the nearest servicing dealer for your rig. An additional option might be an independent mechanic business, just ask around for references.
1999 F250 w/7.3L Diesel
2014 Silhouette 299RKDS
Nights Camped 2016 - 21

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:13 PM   #4
Thanks a lot! I appreciate the help.
gja1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:24 AM   #5
World Wide Wanderer
Congrats on heading back out on the road!

For oil changes and most service my local Ford dealer can handle it. For alignments I have to take it to a Ford heavy truck dealer. Best bet is to make a call to your local dealer and see if they think they can handle it. FWIW mine is a 30' on the E450 chassis. Good news is you shouldn't need much in the way of maintenance other than routine stuff.

Aaron & Rhonda
wahoonc & Airangel60

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:41 AM   #6
Yes, definitely have Ford do the work especially if it's under warranty. Personally I've found that my dealership does excellent work.

Edit - Congrats on your motorhome!
2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #7
I found a local shop that does truck and rv work in my area. I have a 35' Coachmen with the V10 and they have the lifts to service them. The main thing is to talk to local rv folks and find a shop with a good reputation and customer service. The engine and chassis in motorhomes are also used in commercial truck applications, so they would be very familiar your rig. You don't necessarily have to pick a Ford garage, just make sure you keep documentation to support you are meeting the warranty requirements. I have my fluids checked and oil changed every 3k miles. I also check fluid levels during road trips. Welcome back to the RV world and your new adventures!
Bdogdt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #8
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Yes, definitely have Ford do the work especially if it's under warranty. Personally I've found that my dealership does excellent work.

Edit - Congrats on your motorhome!
X2. If your rig is new, and under warranty, always try to take it to a Ford dealer for the work. Unless its an emergency try NOT to take it to an rv dealer for work on the Ford running gear or anything to do with the cab/chassie. Many already do lousey work on the rv part of a rig, and will be a hit and miss for work on the running gear.
In your area try to find a local Ford dealer that has large bays and can/will work on your class c.
Steve & Cheryl + Charlie & Casey, our furry kids.

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Camping trips this year so far...8
Days camping...75
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #9
You need to call the Ford motorhome help hotline. They provide as part of your purchase emergency roadside assistance. However the two things that you need to do are first, register the Vin of the vehicle with you as the owner. Presently Ford thinks it's still owned by the manufacture of your motorhome. Number two when you need service like you've asked about for routine maintenance, they will contact dealers in your area or where you are traveling to and determine what dealers will provide the kind of service you're asking about.

The people at Ford motorhome division are rock stars in my book.

Life is always better under a Palm tree...

2016 Mirada 35BH "Trolley"
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Previous- Jayco Greyhawk 31FK

Western NY
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #10
Welcome to the forum! We have a 35' SOB on a Ford E-450 chassis. You will get mostly great advice here.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote

class c