Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #1

Newbee needing Help with Leveling and Black/Gray Tanks

I am new to Rving and just purchased a almost new (2017 Coachman 319MB Leprechaun) with just 6000 miles. Never had any type RV before. We have been living in the RV for about 60 days at a family location in Michigan with full hook-up. The coach is level using a bubble level. I did have to pull up on 1 inch boards so the black/gray valve would be high enough to drain.

The black tank is closed and originally the gray tank was left open. I would close it to flush after the black tank was opened. I then closed the gray tank 100% of the time. The problem I seem to have is the tank does not seem to drain all the way. The lights always seem to show 1/3 full. While I know they are not always accurate, it really does fill up very fast.

Any ideas on how I can get the tank to empty?
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'd bet the tank is emptying.
The sensors are notorious for improper indication.

With that said, you could always raise the side opposite your drain port to get maximum drainage. If your rig is stationary and you have full hook-ups, what does it matter?
When full, open the drain valve. The grey tanks get full WAY quicker than many realize.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #3

What would happen if the side with slides (Drivers) was a little bit lower that the curb side? I understand one needs to be careful or the refrigerator may not work.
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jkfham View Post
I am new to Rving and just purchased a almost new (2017 Coachman 319MB Leprechaun) with just 6000 miles. Never had any type RV before. We have been living in the RV for about 60 days at a family location in Michigan with full hook-up. The coach is level using a bubble level. I did have to pull up on 1 inch boards so the black/gray valve would be high enough to drain.

The black tank is closed and originally the gray tank was left open. I would close it to flush after the black tank was opened. I then closed the gray tank 100% of the time. The problem I seem to have is the tank does not seem to drain all the way. The lights always seem to show 1/3 full. While I know they are not always accurate, it really does fill up very fast.

Any ideas on how I can get the tank to empty?
A lot of times debris and stuff will stick to the sensors in side the tank.

being a 29 gallon black tank 30 to 40 flushes could fill it. Now I had 5th wheel years ago, and the bathroom wash basin was connected to the black water tank so it did to fill up faster than I expected. Don't know if yours is that way, but it just a thought.

you would have to be 15 to 20 degrees from level to keep that much in, if you are really close to level and you are using the black flush out then I would say it is truly empty!
N6ZCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:27 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jkfham View Post
What would happen if the side with slides (Drivers) was a little bit lower that the curb side? I understand one needs to be careful or the refrigerator may not work.
Nothing.

Many units with slides on one side (or more slides on one side than the other) wind up being somewhat lower unless you plan in advance for that by adding some boards/levelers to raise it slightly higher than level (on the slide side) before deploying the slides.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Just remember your not at home and now in a RV with tanks to hold gray and black water. Does not take long to fill gray if you like taking long shower. Yes the sensors can be a bit finikie and not always accurate. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #7

Black/Grey tanks.

You should keep the black tank closed until about 3/4+ full. Reason for waiting for black to get 3/4+ full is to get a good forceful flow out of it when draining. Make sure then you have closed the grey tank before opening the black tank. You don't want to get black into grey.
Like previously state the fill gages can't always be trusted. You will know grey tank is full when it starts backing up into the shower pan.
RetiredAF1955-1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:03 PM   #8

I never have lights going back to nothing except when it is brand new. Three different units, same results. Those lights are not accurate.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Yes the sensors can be a bit finikie and not always accurate. Later RJD
That's for sure.
Thinking about changing ours out.
M-Bob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwisconsin View Post
I never have lights going back to nothing except when it is brand new. Three different units, same results. Those lights are not accurate.
If your toilet flushes directly down into the holding tank, try holding a flashlight pointing down so you can see when you flush just how high the water level in the tank is. After a few tries, you can get pretty good at estimating how much room you have left. Also, at the end of the season, use one of the wands down the toilet to clean off the sensors in the tank. Sometimes it is just a bit of paper that causes the problem and this will wash it off.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:56 PM   #11

Sometimes I have had to flush out the black tank two or three times before the fill level lights worked correctly.
mcain49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, leveling, tank