Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #1

Newby Mirada 35LS has Satellite Question

Just signed up for Dish at home and will be having a Trav'ler put on the roof of my Mirada. The Dish box for the Mirada will be located in a front cabinet near the front entry door. I would use the 722 box, which would allow me to have HD in the LR and SD in the bedroom. In looking at the wiring diagram I had Forrest River (Coachmen) send me, appears the "pre-wire" is coax. Correct me if I am wrong, but coax will not give me the best connect, right? The installer I talked to was pretty specific in stating the the connections should be HDMI. In the cabinet where the box would go I do not see any HDMI connections. Do any of you have Miradas' where this issue has come up? I have a bank of cabinets running sold through the kitchen to the main TV in the living room area, so I suppose the HDMI cable could be routed through those, although I am not excited about that idea. Recommendations, ideas?
Bdogdt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:05 PM   #2

Coax from the dish to the box.
HDMI from the box to the hdtv, coax from the box to the sd tv.

2015 RAM 3500 CCSB CUMMINS
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 11-21-2015, 01:14 AM   #3

You are correct , Kenny. Unfortunately I would have to run the HDMI connection about 15 feet to the mid coach tv, due to the satellite box connection which is located in a cabinet in the front of the coach. ��
Old 11-21-2015, 07:38 AM   #4

Wireless hdmi works quite well.

2015 RAM 3500 CCSB CUMMINS
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 11-21-2015, 11:38 AM   #5

Oh my gosh, did not know these even existed. Thanks, Kenny. Got to love this forum! They look a little spendy, but the upside is that I could use it with the outside TV, too
Old 11-21-2015, 11:44 AM   #6

If you know someone that can splice CAT5, you can do your own HDMI to other TVs. I'm doing that to mine.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #7

Go with DirecTv and you will have HD at all of your TVs.

Bruce
Old 11-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #8

So, you can splice the already installed cables and put HDMI connections on the cables? Is there any loss of signal when you do this?
Old 11-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #9
Dahagen

Too bad you did not go with DirecTV. Then you could have gotten the distant networks...ABC NBC CBS FOX PBS when you are out of the big city. And DirecTV is quicker to start watching after you change location. Dish take a while to talk back and forth to the satellites.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:33 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
Too bad you did not go with DirecTV. Then you could have gotten the distant networks...ABC NBC CBS FOX PBS when you are out of the big city. And DirecTV is quicker to start watching after you change location. Dish take a while to talk back and forth to the satellites.
Only takes me 5 minutes or less to aquire a signal from dish when away
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:02 PM   #11

Ok.I have direct Tv at home.I have wi fi for my laptop while traveling,How can I get direct TV also when traveling? will I need to take the Direct TV box with me also?we plan on living in the motorhome for 3-4 months this winter somewhere out west
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdogdt47 View Post
Just signed up for Dish at home and will be having a Trav'ler put on the roof of my Mirada. The Dish box for the Mirada will be located in a front cabinet near the front entry door. I would use the 722 box, which would allow me to have HD in the LR and SD in the bedroom. In looking at the wiring diagram I had Forrest River (Coachmen) send me, appears the "pre-wire" is coax. Correct me if I am wrong, but coax will not give me the best connect, right? The installer I talked to was pretty specific in stating the the connections should be HDMI. In the cabinet where the box would go I do not see any HDMI connections. Do any of you have Miradas' where this issue has come up? I have a bank of cabinets running sold through the kitchen to the main TV in the living room area, so I suppose the HDMI cable could be routed through those, although I am not excited about that idea. Recommendations, ideas?
Stay with dish. One option that has not been mentioned is to use a wireless joey from dish to connect to the 722 box.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:09 PM   #13

You cant splice into the coax. You have to run CAT5 wire then splice on the ends.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #14

You can also get NBC,CBS,ABC FOX, ect with DISH. Just call with zip code. Not a big deal.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:21 PM   #15

And with Dish you don't have to spend extra money to get the network channels. As for connecting it takes me about 15 minutes, 10 of that for pulling in the guide data and populating our DVR shows.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdogdt47 View Post
I had the travl'er installed before we took delivery of 2016 35 KB. WAS DISAPPOINTED When I turned dish on first time. Worst picture I'd seen on a tv since the 60's. Relayed my displeasure to dealer and no one seemed to know that it was not wired for HD. DEALER IS IN THE PROCESS of installing HD to all 3 tv's at no charge. Seems strange that Coachmen would not wire for HD.
Pc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #17
Dahagen

I take my box with me.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:24 PM   #18

I had DISH and dumped it for the charges. I have Direct in my house and pay $7.xx or so for a dedicated DIRECT box in the RV per month. I sold the DISH to someone here and am more or less financially even on the two. The Direct takes a little time to manually find the satellite, but not a real hassle.

I think the Direct station line up is better too. With DISH I had to call often to have them send an new activation signal after I put it on "pause" or cancel. A hassle in some places with spotty to non-existant cell service. The Direct is always on, no calling to activate.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:35 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh R View Post
I had DISH and dumped it for the charges. I have Direct in my house and pay $7.xx or so for a dedicated DIRECT box in the RV per month. I sold the DISH to someone here and am more or less financially even on the two. The Direct takes a little time to manually find the satellite, but not a real hassle.

I think the Direct station line up is better too. With DISH I had to call often to have them send an new activation signal after I put it on "pause" or cancel. A hassle in some places with spotty to non-existant cell service. The Direct is always on, no calling to activate.

Is your post helpful to the op?

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:28 PM   #20

Sorry if you think I wasted someone else's bandwidth.
Hugh R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite