Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #1

Offer in on new Prism 2250LE

Hi All:

Just joined (brand new first time RVer) and introduced myself in a couple of other threads.

Just an update, I've got an offer in on a 16 Prism 2250LE with my local dealer.

We're only $500 apart right now, so likely will come together as early as today with pickup probably this Saturday.

Would appreciate any thoughts or advice, especially as a first timer (I mean, the first time I've ever been in one was the test drive).

Thanks and see you on the road!
Byron in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #2

Uh oh. No love for the Prism line here on the forum? If there's something I need to know, it would be much appreciated before I commit to this particular unit. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #3

Welcome!

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:22 PM   #4

**UPDATE**

Dealer accepted our offer, with trade, downpayment and price discount we'll be financing 53k on the 2016 Prism 2250LE.

I'm pretty apprehensive about the scale of this purchase, but at that amount financed it's really not much more than a really nice SUV.

Wish me luck.

Hope to see you all on the Road!!
Old 02-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #5

Thank you!!!

Is it possibly to have Buyer's Remorse before even signing the paperwork?

I'm hoping it's as much fun as you-all make it out to be......the Go Rving commercials make you want to chuck everything and everyone and just hit the road!

Thanks again!!
Old 02-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #6

It is fun but it's a learning process. Just remember that everyone does something stupid....and it's okay

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels4g View Post
It is fun but it's a learning process. Just remember that everyone does something stupid....and it's okay
Well, on the test drive the salesman started to leave the lot with the awning out.

At least I don't do this for a living.....
Old 02-16-2016, 03:10 PM   #8

We just bought a '16 Prism 2150LE about a month ago. We haven't had much opportunity to use it yet, other than a couple of short (100 mile +-) roadtrips. So far, so good. We really like ours. Our first real trip will be in March, we will be leaving Central Iowa for Port Aransas. Good luck and I think you will really like yours.
capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:18 PM   #9
Site Team

For info the M-B Sprinter chassis, not Coachman specific issues, we now have the Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis forum. While it mostly FR owners most of the chassis "stuff" will apply to you as well. If you haven't already take a look at it...
Old 02-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by capav8r View Post
We just bought a '16 Prism 2150LE about a month ago. We haven't had much opportunity to use it yet, other than a couple of short (100 mile +-) roadtrips. So far, so good. We really like ours. Our first real trip will be in March, we will be leaving Central Iowa for Port Aransas. Good luck and I think you will really like yours.
Brilliant!! Hope to have as much fun as you all. First trip will be a local winery that allows overnight parking.

A couple more of those and I've already reserved my RV spot for our huge Austin Republic of Texas Motorcycle Rally for 4 days.

Thanks!!
Old 02-16-2016, 03:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
For info the M-B Sprinter chassis, not Coachman specific issues, we now have the Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis forum. While it mostly FR owners most of the chassis "stuff" will apply to you as well. If you haven't already take a look at it...
That's a 'Youuuuuuge' help! Kinda wonder what I was missing. Prism may be a bit of a orphan because of the Sprinter drivetrain?

I'll follow the link and make some new enemies over there as well. Thanks!!
Old 02-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #12
Site Team

The FR MBS versions can have the same "orphan" feeling in the larger Forester and Sunseeker forums. There aren't a lot of us and our configurations are different than the domestic chassis rigs.

There are five Sprinter versions, you are the orphan in a sense, as the other four; Isata3, Forester MBS, Solera MBS, and Sunseeker MBS are pretty close to each other with only paint and trim, separating them. The Solera has been discontinued this year and replaced with the Forester and Sunseeker versions. The Isata 3 is the new higher end version of the group.

But under the FR skin they are all Sprinters so you might as well hang out with us...
Old 02-16-2016, 05:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
The FR MBS versions can have the same "orphan" feeling in the larger Forester and Sunseeker forums. There aren't a lot of us and our configurations are different than the domestic chassis rigs.

There are five Sprinter versions, you are the orphan in a sense, as the other four; Isata3, Forester MBS, Solera MBS, and Sunseeker MBS are pretty close to each other with only paint and trim, separating them. The Solera has been discontinued this year and replaced with the Forester and Sunseeker versions. The Isata 3 is the new higher end version of the group.

But under the FR skin they are all Sprinters so you might as well hang out with us...
Cool and thanks!

I shopped the engine/chassis first and the box, well, not so much. If so, I probably would have gotten the used Thor Chateau I was also looking at.

But it was 2 yo and had 30k on it....albeit with much nicer interior appointments.

Price was 2k above what I paid new and the floorplan on the new one is superior (to us).

I can live with a lumpy mattress or crap cabinets....the 'bones' are what worry me.

thanks again!
Old 02-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #14

thanks again, Redldr:

Is the Prism considered a low end, substandard, or otherwise problematic motorhome?

Dearth of info during my research......just wondering if it's because they're aren't a lot of them that you don't find much?

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:38 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron in TX View Post
Is the Prism considered a low end, substandard, or otherwise problematic motorhome?
Not to my knowledge...I've always considered Coachman to be a good product.

You guys are just outside the traditional FR "fold" if you will. Someone at FR corporate decided not to integrate Coachman, like the other acquisitions, I guess. Probably because of the brand recognition Coachman has in the market. You can't access Coachman from the main FR website so a lot of folks probably don't even know it is owned by FR. Plus your units aren't made at the same plants as Forester and Sunseeker Class C so they are different than FR. That being said your floor plan is basically the "R" floor plan sold by FR. And you only have one forum here for all of Coachman so you MBS guys can get lost really fast...
Old 02-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #16
Calbucano

I bought a 2015 Prism 24G in May last year. It does a fine job and yes, there were/are a few fit and finish issues and yes, it took awhile for Forest River to respond to a couple of warranty parts replacements. One of which was the check valve for the black water flush which was installed backwards. I didn't use the selling dealer who was pretty clueless about the MH. Instead I took it to another dealer who sells FR products and is much closer to home.

You might find the MH really rocks and sways when you go into a gas station or driveway. Some call it the Walmart Waltz. I found something called a "rockguard" which mounts above the rear wheels to protect some wiring harnesses and the propane hose to the hot water heater. It had 5 holes for mounting, but only 3 were used and when I discovered it, it was hanging vertically from the last 1. Clearly the rear wheels had bottomed out and dislodged the rock guard. ( I had weighed the MH and it was within specs. ) I called Forest River (Ron Ross) and was told the only real solution would be airbags. But I could't find airbags for the Sprinter 3500. We were about to head south (December 2015) and needed a solution. First I wrapped firehose around the wiring and hoses and remounted the rock guard (with all 5 screws). Then I found this place (Sprinter Suspension Upgrades – Sprinter Upgrades) and ordered the whole kit (shocks, swaybar, Sumo Springs etc) and had them installed. A huge difference! A little expensive but very comforting on the road. I had read about these suspension upgrades in other Sprinter blogs and the reviews were all positive. The folks at the Sprinter Upgrade place are totally familiar with Sprinter RV's and most helpful. I have no idea if this would be a warranty item but suspect it would entail a protracted argument between FR and Mercedes Benz. We had to get going so I just solved it. Total cost installed $2300. I suspect I paid too much for the installation labor but whatever.

Other than that, we had a great time in rather chilly Florida and I really love driving the MH. DW does as well.

Enjoy.

Tom
Coachmen Prism 24G 2015
calbucano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:21 PM   #17

Thank you, Tom. Extremely helpful!
Old 02-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #18
TARVIDSON

x2 on everything Calbucano said except I haven't had the bottoming out problem he has and have not modified the suspension although I have thought about it to get rid of the slow speed roll. It is interesting that despite the roll at slow speeds on uneven terrain the unit goes down the road much straighter and with less driver input than the Ford Chassis units so I have just gotten used to it. Mine was purchased May of 2014 and I have 17,000 miles on it. From what I have seen the Coachman product seems to be about on a par with about every other motorhome I have looked at. As mentioned the actual coach is designed by completely different people than the Soleras. The slide mechanisms and all the little details may be the same or different from what look like nearly identical rigs. As to your bed, get a 3 or 4" memory foam cover and it will do wonders for your sleeping comfort. Most of the information on the forum will be valuable even if it is about totally different units as it will educate you about a whole lot of stuff that would take years to learn in just a short while. We have had a great time in the last two years and started out as compete newbies just like you. Have a great time!
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARVIDSON View Post
x2 on everything Calbucano said except I haven't had the bottoming out problem he has and have not modified the suspension although I have thought about it to get rid of the slow speed roll. It is interesting that despite the roll at slow speeds on uneven terrain the unit goes down the road much straighter and with less driver input than the Ford Chassis units so I have just gotten used to it. Mine was purchased May of 2014 and I have 17,000 miles on it. From what I have seen the Coachman product seems to be about on a par with about every other motorhome I have looked at. As mentioned the actual coach is designed by completely different people than the Soleras. The slide mechanisms and all the little details may be the same or different from what look like nearly identical rigs. As to your bed, get a 3 or 4" memory foam cover and it will do wonders for your sleeping comfort. Most of the information on the forum will be valuable even if it is about totally different units as it will educate you about a whole lot of stuff that would take years to learn in just a short while. We have had a great time in the last two years and started out as compete newbies just like you. Have a great time!
Brilliant!! you're right....it's a bit like drinking from a fire hose right now, but lots of great tips. Esp the foam topper.....wouldn't have thought of that and it's way cheaper than marriage counseling. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2016, 07:57 PM   #20

Love our 2015 Prism

Lots of modifications later we are still settling into our unit.
Helwig sway bar, Sumo springs, MaxAir powered vents, some drawers in the dinette base. Definitely a memory foam mattress topper. Going to change the MB Sprinter horn and upgrade the speakers in the doors next.

Welcome to the RV forum.
Iowaprism is offline   Reply With Quote