Old 12-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
Oil Change and Tire Pressure

I love traveling in my new Coachmen 19 cb and have done well traveling as a single female. Have not been afraid and have found campgrounds and state parks are very safe and friendly. I now need my first oil change. My RV dealer is 200 miles from here. Where do you (who don't change your own oil) take your RVs for oil changes? The same places as a car? How about using synthetic oil? Also, should I purchase an electronic tire pressure monitor? If I buy it through Amazon, where should I take it for installation? I am learning and very much appreciate all my teachers! Thank you all in advance!

Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
You didn't mention which chassis (Ford or Chevy) you have. Those who own the same brand would be more helpful.

You state you are 200 miles from your RV dealer. I don't know your travel plans - are you going there next or are you just stating it's 200 miles out of the way? I personally wouldn't worry about changing the oil if you only have 200 miles to get home. Just check the level and add some if it is at or below the lower mark. The cost of a quart isn't much to protect the engine on the last miles.

Some quick oil change places cannot get a motorhome into their service bays, so if you do decide to use one, call ahead.

As for synthetic vs. conventional oil, you will get advice recommending either one. Read your chassis owner's manual. It will state which to use, or may state that either is acceptable. I use full synthetic because I feel like the engine is working pretty hard all the time.

The Ford scheduled service manual states that carrying heavy loads requires it to be services under their "Special Operating Conditions", which reduces the oil change interval from 7500 miles to 5000 miles. I change my own and bought a supply when it was on sale for very little more than conventional, so the cost difference for me is small compared to what an oil change place or your RV dealer will charge for upgrading to synthetic.

2011 Sunseeker 3100
1997 Pathfinder Toad
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
Installing a TPMS is really a piece of cake. If you can check your tire pressure now you can certainly do it yourself. I use the TST 507 system with the flow-through sensors (so you can adjust pressure without having to remove the sensors) purchased from All you do is remove the existing plastic cap, replace it with the sensor and tighten the set-screw (with the supplied hex key) to lock it in place. The procedure to get the monitor to learn the sensor codes and locations is not particularly difficult to follow either.
2015 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 8282WS Platinum, GY Marathon LRD, TST 507RV TPMS
2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB D/A, Curt E16, Prodigy P2, Garmin RV760LMT w/BC-20 b/u cam

DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Former Full Timer
I 2nd the above. You can get the TST507 system from Chip at
Do Shop around and use the search function.

The info detail you give directly affects the quality of the responses you will get.
Soooo, if you have a Freelander or a Lepruchan on a Ford chassis, you can get the oil changed anywhere that will accomodate your unit. I do not use that other name.

Oil - I suggest you simply follow the manufacturers requirements found in your chassis owners manual or online at Fords fleet website.
Always use API certified oils. If your wallet is thick and you want to use full synthetic have at it. Consider that you still have to follow the specified oil change intervals to avoid warranty issues.
Happy Trails
The recipe for perpetual ignorance is:
Be satisfied with your opinions
and content with your knowledge.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #5
Do not know where you are at.....but a lot of quick change oil places are big enough for your rig....a lot of them do logging trucks. They will tell you what kind of oil you should use. And....check with some name brand tire shops about your TPMS.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:56 AM   #6
One tip I never see on how to find a repair shop is to stop at the local parts store and ask. These people deal with the local shops all day every day and know what type of vehicles their customers service and who has a good reputation
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
Hannah, I am just about to do the first oil change on my 19CB. (The 19CB is built on a Ford E350 w/5.4l V8). Your clearance is 10' 10". A lot of the "quick change" places can accommodate your 19CB. Just give them a call first. (Might check your local Ford dealership, too.)

I am planning on using the Ford recommended Motorcraft 5w20 Semi-Synth oil. It is a very good oil, and Ford has tested it in these engines thoroughly.

I am glad you are enjoying your 19CB! We took a trip in ours to East Texas this weekend. It is awesome to drive!

Jim & Janet
bglz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:19 AM   #8
Why don't you use that othername?
larryhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:27 AM   #9
I have a coachman is that the other name and should i be concerned.
larryhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #10
Hannah, you can throw a stone generally the distance to finding a Ford dealership that should be able to accommodate you as a walk-in for an oil change. Nothing out of the ordinary about your Ford E350 chassis and the 5.4L. One thing that's nice if your plans are always to have mechanical service done by a pro and going to a dealership - they are all on the same network database and a Ford service center in Orlando will be able to pull the same service record as a Ford service center in Seattle. Wherever you may roam.

geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote

pressure, tire